NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018

9 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Ha, you can capture screenshots just fine. I tried to do that with this one goal I scored online, horrendous mistake by their goalkeeper left Harry Kane with a tap in that he bizarrely decided to bicycle kick in. 

I'm certain it'll be in FIFA 19, would be absurd if it wasn't.

If it means more work for EA though, I bet they'll say no. Just because, EA. :D

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

I can't think of a game that is less in need of video recording than Football Manager :heh:

25 screenshots per second thank you.

Unless you were making an anime, then a dozen screenshots would cover the first two minutes.

25 per second?! You'd go through the Switch's built in save space in days!

6 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

If it means more work for EA though, I bet they'll say no. Just because, EA. :D

EA Sports; its not in the game.

• Haha 2

I can guarantee cloud saves on a game by game basis is mainly because of Pokémon.

Guarantee. it.

41 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I can guarantee cloud saves on a game by game basis is mainly because of Pokémon.

Guarantee. it.

And yet the global trade service will still be riddled with hacked/cloned Pokémon. 

12 hours ago, Mandalore said:

And yet the global trade service will still be riddled with hacked/cloned Pokémon. 

Oh yeah, definitely. But it won't stop them trying.

Guarantee. it.

This doesn't really wash as an excuse. On other systems, plenty of games don't use the normal cloud backup system to log valuable things (e.g. MMORPGs) despite cloud saves being OS-level.

Pretty sure PS4 has some data files that are "locked" and can't be copied via cloud save too.

17 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Guarantee. it.

Yep, seems very likely

15 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

This doesn't really wash as an excuse. On other systems, plenty of games don't use the normal cloud backup system to log valuable things (e.g. MMORPGs) despite cloud saves being OS-level.

Pretty sure PS4 has some data files that are "locked" and can't be copied via cloud save too.

How does the Overwatch data work? I don't think anything is actually saved to the PS4 itself, is it? It's all saved to your Overwatch/Blizzard account?

19 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

How does the Overwatch data work? I don't think anything is actually saved to the PS4 itself, is it? It's all saved to your Overwatch/Blizzard account?

Yeah it's all server-sided saving. Means if you go to someone else's house, as long as you're logged in on your PSN account on their PS4 you'll carry on playing with your account with all your unlocks available.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Oh, I never said it was a good excuse.

But I'm certain it's the main reason.

Looks like Diablo III will be the first 3rd party to use the app.

The game will be compatible with:

• Cloud saves
  • Lobbies (through the app)
  • Voice chat (through the app)

The fact that they have to say that the game is compatible with cloud saves raises my fears that developers may simply choose not to use the feature.  This whole service still sounds like an absolute mess to me.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

I think it's similar to how games used to say if they were compatible with the video recording feature, a new service devs were excited about supporting. Now no one mentions that and it just comes as (more or less) standard. It'll be the same here. People will say "oooh we have cloud save support" at first, then it'll just be the norm.

I'm not a big online gamer by any means, and I know this is a moan that's been made by many, many times over, but I just still can't get over online features like voice chat and lobbies having to be managed through an app. 

Sure, have those functions available through the app if people want to use them. But have them on the console too! It's just creating unnecessary barriers to online play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think it's similar to how games used to say if they were compatible with the video recording feature, a new service devs were excited about supporting. Now no one mentions that and it just comes as (more or less) standard.It'll be the same here. People will say "oooh we have cloud save support" at first, then it'll just be the norm.

I think that's the issue here. "More or less" isn't exactly a compelling argument when people are paying for a service. It's not an issue for video capturing because it's free but if the same applies to cloud saving then I think it's harsh charging for something that may not even work for a game you are playing.

Obviously there are still questions to be answered and matters to be cleared up before the service launches but nothing they have said ( or haven't said :p ) is giving me confidence about the whole thing.

• Like 1

Tencent Games (Paladins) had confirmed you don't need the online subscription to play Paladins online. So I think it's safe to say Fortnite and other f2p titles will also not require the service.

And I don't know if it was mentioned already, but the NES titles will get voice chat support... through the app. Oh lord.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Tencent Games (Paladins) had confirmed you don't need the online subscription to play Paladins online. So I think it's safe to say Fortnite and other f2p titles will also not require the service.

And I don't know if it was mentioned already, but the NES titles will get voice chat support... through the app. Oh lord.

CoolMeaslyChanticleer-small.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Agent Gibbs said:

They're adding online play to NES and SNES games

3 hours ago, Agent Gibbs said:

You ever played Super Mario Bros. 3 with some jerk who keeps initiating the bloody Mario Bros. Minigame in an attempt to rob you of your turn EVERY BLOODY TIME YOU GO PAST HIM ON THE MAP!?

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

Nintendo of America & Nintendo of Europe just tweeted that it will launch on the 18th September in the US and the 19th in Europe. There'll be a 7-day free trial and more details will be announced in tomorrows Nintendo direct.

51 minutes ago, Charlie said:

7 day free trial of a service we’ve had for free since last March. 

NES/SNES games library, and also a way of smoothing the transition.

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

NES/SNES games library, and also a way of smoothing the transition.

The only reason I see them doing this is so kids get a notification 7 days before their online access to Splatoon, MK and Fortnite is locked out so they get a chance to beg £20 from their parents. 

10 NES games are of no interest to the majority of people. The online service is a terrible offering unless they announce something huge tonight. 

• Like 2

Unless something major is announced in regards to the online service, i can honestly see many people not getting the online sub as an individual, but most likely some will get it as a family sub.  Some of my gaming group are in between at present, some will get it where others won't.  I'm sort of eying towards getting it if not only for cloud storage, but even then that sounds ropey.  Hopefully tonights Direct clears the air on the online confusion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbob said:

Unless something major is announced in regards to the online service, i can honestly see many people not getting the online sub as an individual, but most likely some will get it as a family sub.  Some of my gaming group are in between at present, some will get it where others won't.  I'm sort of eying towards getting it if not only for cloud storage, but even then that sounds ropey.  Hopefully tonight's Direct clears the air on the online confusion.

Yeah hopefully they will announce a few extra's for online outside of what we know, because so far the three things we get (cloud saves, NES games, eshop discounts) don't actually improve the service itself.

At the very least they need to add some way for us to communicate with people on our friends list. I'd even take some kind of auto-invite option that you can ping to people you know.

Edited by Helmsly