NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018

I couldn't resist writing the article for this one... ;)

content-4-35584-nintendoonlinesmb3banner.jpg

I must stress that the article is a little bit tongue-in-cheek but I assure you that it still comes from a good place. :peace:

Anyway, we don't know everything yet, Nintendo might surprise us nearer the time... :)

...or we might get that fabled press release the day before. :heh:

Even I'll admit though, having online features added to classic Nintendo games is pretty nice for what it's worth. :D

Edited by S.C.G
  • Haha 4

Thanks for the screenshot analysis, @S.C.G You definitely make some good points, but I'm not sure if you're right yet. Not enough conclusive evidence.

I'm thinking it's more Paper Mario: Colour Splash.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@S.C.G so when are you joining the GameXplain crew?

Don't steal him!

• Like 1

Also someone needs to have a word with their graphic design department, partially because its ugly but also because the grey box definitely doesn't meet the minimum required contrasts for accessibility (and I feel the green one may not as well).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kav said:

Perfect:

What more is there to know? There's an app, there's online play, cloud control to Major Tom. What more would you like to know?

Exactly, I really don't understand all these "we still don't know anything about it" comments.

Online play, old NES games, cloud saves. The only thing that's vague is the date, but I'm not exactly climbing the walls waiting for that. Second half of September, fine, whatever.

Edited by Ronnie

40 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Exactly, I really don't understand all these "we still don't know anything about it" comments.

It's just the hope that we don't know everything about it that people are clinging to. But I am on your side, there is simply nothing more to it at the moment.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Online play, old NES games, cloud saves. The only thing that's vague is the date, but I'm not exactly climbing the walls waiting for that. Second half of September, fine, whatever.

"Details about this feature [cloud saves] will be available before the paid service launches in September."

Even Nintendo admit there's still more they haven't told us, but yes it's not everything.

29 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It's just the hope that we don't know everything about it that people are clinging to. But I am on your side, there is simply nothing more to it at the moment.

For £18 a year I'm not sure how much more there is to know. Really dumb tweet from Liam Robertson imo.

As I've said before that there are still questions left unanswered. These are the thing that I would like some info on.

How often do we get new NES games? GWG and PS+ have a set time each month when the games will drop. Can we expect a similar schedule or is it going to be random?

What games will be getting support on the Nintendo app? Will games that have been out for a while, things like Mario Kart and ARMS, be seeing app support or is it just games that are releasing after the service? 

Also, and they probably aren't going to mention this, but questions need to be asked and answered about the cloud save feature as it looks like not all games will support it. On the latest NVC they discuss it and it sounds like it's an opt in thing rather than being an OS feature. 

The special offers could also do with a bit of clarity. Are we getting discounts on games that are on sale and available for preorder, much like GWG and PS+?

• Like 2

Sometime in the second half of September is too vague. If they were just launching online gaming, there hadn't been any before, fine, but that's when they're taking away online gaming from non-payers. I think it's a bit out of order to remove a service/slap it behind a pay wall without being specific as to when it's going to happen and without real notice. 

Sure, it's cheap enough, but when it's locking off previously accessible features, I think it's fair to want to know a bit more. @Hero-of-Timehas a list of concerns there that I think should be known by this stage. 

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

As I've said before that there are still questions left unanswered. These are the thing that I would like some info on.

How often do we get new NES games? GWG and PS+ have a set time each month when the games will drop. Can we expect a similar schedule or is it going to be random?

What games will be getting support on the Nintendo app? Will games that have been out for a while, things like Mario Kart and ARMS, be seeing app support or is it just games that are releasing after the service? 

Also, and they probably aren't going to mention this, but questions need to be asked and answered about the cloud save feature as it looks like not all games will support it. On the latest NVC they discuss it and it sounds like it's an opt in thing rather than being an OS feature. 

The special offers could also do with a bit of clarity. Are we getting discounts on games that are on sale and available for preorder, much like GWG and PS+?

Why is support being treated as a game-on-game basis? Isn't the whole point of an online system that it covers everything? E.g. all game saves can just be uploaded to the cloud, etc. 

I've not really been following any of this, so this is all a bit new to me. What does the app do exactly? 

9 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Why is support being treated as a game-on-game basis? Isn't the whole point of an online system that it covers everything? E.g. all game saves can just be uploaded to the cloud, etc. 

I've not really been following any of this, so this is all a bit new to me. What does the app do exactly? 

Who the hell knows why they are doing it by a game by game basis. Of course this is just what I gathered from what a developer told NVC. It's completely stupid, if true. It does explain why Nintendo worded the tweet/press release/whatever it was the way they did.

The app is only supporting Splatoon 2 at the moment. It allows for voice chat ( at least for that game ) and shows a load of stats from your most recent matches. You can also use the app to order new equipment for your character. You put an order in and then you get it in game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Who the hell knows why they are doing it by a game by game basis. Of course this is just what I gathered from what a developer told NVC. It's completely stupid, if true. It does explain why Nintendo worded the tweet/press release/whatever it was the way they did.

The app is only supporting Splatoon 2 at the moment. It allows for voice chat ( at least for that game ) and shows a load of stats from your most recent matches. You can also use the app to order new equipment for your character. You put an order in and then you get it in game.

I really doubt the cloudsaves will be on a game-by-game basis because...it just sounds stupid that way. I imagine it'll be something like you go into the OS, highlight your game saves that you want to upload and then click a button to upload them. There's no reasonable logic to allow that to be on a per-game basis. 

As for the Splatoon stuff, why can't all of that be done in game? E.g. you load up Splatoon 2 and click on the "shop" option in the main menu. Why do you need an app for any of that? Can you do all of that stuff in game? Can you check your stats in the game itself or can you only do that on an app? What does the app currently do that you can't do in game? Have they said what will be different once the service starts? 

I remember something about voice chat being available through the app. Is that still the only way to do it? Can't you plug a headset into the console and then...voice chat that way? How do you communicate with randoms? Do you have to be playing the same game to voice chat or can you speak to someone as soon as they've booted up their Switch and chat with them whilst they get themselves up to speed/close their other game to join you?

As it turns out, I have loads of questions! I take it back, @Kav :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I really doubt the cloudsaves will be on a game-by-game basis because...it just sounds stupid that way. I imagine it'll be something like you go into the OS, highlight your game saves that you want to upload and then click a button to upload them. There's no reasonable logic to allow that to be on a per-game basis. 

As for the Splatoon stuff, why can't all of that be done in game? E.g. you load up Splatoon 2 and click on the "shop" option in the main menu. Why do you need an app for any of that? Can you do all of that stuff in game? Can you check your stats in the game itself or can you only do that on an app? What does the app currently do that you can't do in game? Have they said what will be different once the service starts? 

I remember something about voice chat being available through the app. Is that still the only way to do it? Can't you plug a headset into the console and then...voice chat that way? How do you communicate with randoms? Do you have to be playing the same game to voice chat or can you speak to someone as soon as they've booted up their Switch and chat with them whilst they get themselves up to speed/close their other game to join you?

As it turns out, I have loads of questions! I take it back, @Kav :D 

You see, lots of stuff still hasn't been cleared up. :D 

The game-by-game basis isn't that far fetched. I mean, the video capture feature is exactly like that. Developers have to opt in.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You see, lots of stuff still hasn't been cleared up. :D 

The game-by-game basis isn't that far fetched. I mean, the video capture feature is exactly like that. Developers have to opt in.

What's that about the video capture? Do you mean like screenshot and video saving? Have any developers actually said no to it or are there any games atm that you can't do that with?

Feed me. I'm learning!

I think the caveat with cloud saves is just to cover their asses for things like Fortnite that might not need to make use of it. Could also apply to a game like Pokémon which has historically restricted you to being able to use just one save file and might not play nice with the concept of cloud saves because of the possibility of cloning. I would be very surprised if it's on a game by game basis but as you say the fact that we're still asking the question is really the biggest issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

What's that about the video capture? Do you mean like screenshot and video saving? Have any developers actually said no to it or are there any games atm that you can't do that with?

Feed me. I'm learning!

There's a few that don't use it for whatever reason. For example, a few indie games I've played recently allow me to capture images and videos but something like Octopath Traveler doesn't allow for videos. It's all up to the developer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There's a few that don't use it for whatever reason. For example, a few indie games I've played recently allow me to capture images and videos but something like Octopath Traveler doesn't allow for videos. It's all up to the developer.

Hmm, then I guess there is potential there for the cloudsaving to be on a game-by-game basis...

I imagine Nintendo will just do a direct around a few weeks before the online service is due out then. After the service is out, I guess the gamers themselves will be able to see what's there and what isn't, even if Nintendo don't tell them. :D 

5 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Feed me. I'm learning!

A game the size of FIFA 18 doesn't support video capture but a lot of indie titles (Celeste for example) do. Hell even Football Manager 2018 which was ported by a team of about 6 people lets you record video. FIFA did launch before the feature was active (think it launched when Odyssey came out) but they've done a big world cup update since and still haven't enabled it. FIFA is a perfect game for it too.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, killthenet said:

A game the size of FIFA 18 doesn't support video capture but a lot of indie titles (Celeste for example) do. Hell even Football Manager 2018 which was ported by a team of about 6 people lets you record video. FIFA did launch before the feature was active (think it launched when Odyssey came out) but they've done a big world cup update since and still haven't enabled it. FIFA is a perfect game for it too.

Haha, what? Really? I've saved tons of FIFA footage over the last few years! I imagine FIFA19 will allow video capture because it'll be stupid not to. Can you capture screenshots at least? LOL, capture a dozen screenshots per second and make a gif. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Haha, what? Really? I've saved tons of FIFA footage over the last few years! I imagine FIFA19 will allow video capture because it'll be stupid not to. Can you capture screenshots at least? LOL, capture a dozen screenshots per second and make a gif. 

Ha, you can capture screenshots just fine. I tried to do that with this one goal I scored online, horrendous mistake by their goalkeeper left Harry Kane with a tap in that he bizarrely decided to bicycle kick in. 

I'm certain it'll be in FIFA 19, would be absurd if it wasn't.

16 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Hell even Football Manager 2018 which was ported by a team of about 6 people lets you record video. 

I can't think of a game that is less in need of video recording than Football Manager :heh:

12 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

LOL, capture a dozen screenshots per second and make a gif. 

25 screenshots per second thank you.

Unless you were making an anime, then a dozen screenshots would cover the first two minutes.

• Haha 2