NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018

No, you're paying for online, future discounts, cloud saves and 20+ NES games ... IF YOU WANT TO.
"NES games that nobody wants" - nice of you to speak for everyone.
Cloud saves aren't a solution to a problem they created, they're an industry standard that Playstation also charge for. And yes, I know Playstation lets you backup to USB, a feature which could be coming to the next Switch OS for all we know.

"If you don't like it, don't subscribe". Is that genuinely your response to valid criticism levelled against the service?

I mean, it's pretty obvious I'm not going to subscribe, I even said as much. Are you just trying to shut down discussion?

47 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

"If you don't like it, don't subscribe". Is that genuinely your response to valid criticism levelled against the service?

I mean, it's pretty obvious I'm not going to subscribe, I even said as much. Are you just trying to shut down discussion?

Please don't put words into my mouth. What I actually said was 

If you don't think there are enough games that warrant spending a quid 50 pence a month, then don't sign up.

You said Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash aren't compelling enough to sign up. It's all subjective. I think they are, with the extra perks. I didn't mean you specifically don't sign up. I mean generally if some people don't think those games are worth it no ones forcing them to pay.

We're going in circles though. 

Edited by Ronnie

You said Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash aren't compelling enough to sign up. It's all subjective. I think they are, with the extra perks. I didn't mean you specifically don't sign up. I mean generally if some people don't think those games are worth it no ones forcing them to pay. We're going in circles though. 

That's exactly what I said. You said if you don't like it (it being the subject in question), don't sign up. How exactly did I put words in your mouth? 

How is that also even remotely worth saying? If I don't like it, of course I won't sign up. Do you thrive off giving useless advice?

48 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

That's exactly what I said. You said if you don't like it (it being the subject in question), don't sign up. How exactly did I put words in your mouth? 

How is that also even remotely worth saying? If I don't like it, of course I won't sign up. Do you thrive off giving useless advice?

I don't know, do you thrive off being unpleasant and confrontational for no reason, or saying hyperbolic and childish things like "So...you're paying for NES games that nobody wants"?

You mentioned three games that needed online, saying those games don't make "a compelling package". My point is it depends on how much you like those games. Yes it's an obvious thing to say, but it obviously needed saying.

But whatever really, we're not going to agree on anything.

Can we all refrain from personal insults please? We've been over this before. 

You can disagree with an idea and an individual, but if you can't argue based on idea without bringing in the personal just frankly don't bother as it helps nothing and nobody. 

I think everyone has said their peace and has made their opinions known. Let's move on. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Isn't that exactly what they're doing? Just with only NES games for now?

It might be, and if it is then I’ll sign up once their catalogue of games seems reasonable to me.

6 minutes ago, Kav said:

It might be, and if it is then I’ll sign up once their catalogue of games seems reasonable to me.

I do wonder how Nintendo can thrive in the long term if they make everything from their past, or nearly everything, available.

Netflix works with this model because they're constantly creating content and regularly acquiring different older stuff, so there's a reason to keep subscribing. I get the impression Nintendo will be including games in their Switch sub package but then periodically taking them away so you never have access to most of their stuff at any one time.

• Like 1

I’ll be subscribing to the service, even if I’d hoped it would contain a lot more than what they’ve announced. In this day and age offering online gaming on platforms for free isn’t feasible anymore. It’s something we’ve seen coming for ages.

I’m happy that it’s still cheap compaired to other platforms. It’s also more basic than what others offer but I prefer a cheap service without much extra stuff over a more expensive one with extra stuff.

If it’s worth your money is something that everybody should decide for themselves ofcourse, but it is worth mine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheikah said:

I do wonder how Nintendo can thrive in the long term if they make everything from their past, or nearly everything, available.

Netflix works with this model because they're constantly creating content and regularly acquiring different older stuff, so there's a reason to keep subscribing. I get the impression Nintendo will be including games in their Switch sub package but then periodically taking them away so you never have access to most of their stuff at any one time.

Maybe they'll move to a more PSN style where games are temporarily free through the service. 

I'm personally not fussed about NES games because I've never played any of them before, so there's no nostalgia there at all, and no real desire to try them. The same with any SNES games.
I might be tempted if they add N64 games, but it's depends which ones. Gamecube = yes.

I'm personally not fussed about NES games because I've never played any of them before, so there's no nostalgia there at all, and no real desire to try them. The same with any SNES games.
I might be tempted if they add N64 games, but it's depends which ones. Gamecube = yes.

Ah man, SNES games are great in their own right, even if you've not played them back in the day. Play some Chrono Trigger and you'll see the light.

I seem to remember that at some point somebody mentioned the games being free for a month and then you could buy the games afterwards if you'd want to play them more. Is that a relic of the past or could this still be true?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I seem to remember that at some point somebody mentioned the games being free for a month and then you could buy the games afterwards if you'd want to play them more. Is that a relic of the past or could this still be true?

The email I got from Nintendo advertising the service says you can enjoy a growing library of NES games and they have previously backtracked on the original concept that the games would disappear after a while so as it stands it seems like you will always have access to the NES games for as long as you pay the subscription, as is the case with PS Plus and Xbox Game Pass.

On 14/05/2018 at 2:32 PM, Kav said:

If Nintendo had their back catalogue available as a Netflix-type service alongside their Online, then I’d pay up in a heartbeat!

As it is, I’ll pass.

Tbh I think this is how they should break the mold. Charge a price more in the £30-40 and add a NintendoNow style service where you can basically stream/download/play a game in the catalogue(with save functionality) from a range of generations at any time you fancy. Give some user feedback/interaction and allow potentially votes or open polls for old content people would like to see on there, work to get it ported etcetc.

Have it be a growing service(along with it doing everything else it's supposed to and having online functionality elsewhere) and I think it'd add a lot of value that people would pay for, or at least something different to the others; slightly. They have great appeal with their back catalogue(VC across systems, SNES and Nes mini, remakes etc) but I think they've moved beyond monetising it well on a game by game/unit by unit basis because they've almost already oversaturated themselves.

That's also basically why people aren't seeing enough value in the NES offerings of the service - they've seen it all before too often too recently and for too much - how many times are you gonna re-buy an old NES game, really?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Rummy said:

Tbh I think this is how they should break the mold. Charge a price more in the £30-40 and add a NintendoNow style service where you can basically stream/download/play a game in the catalogue(with save functionality) from a range of generations at any time you fancy. Give some user feedback/interaction and allow potentially votes or open polls for old content people would like to see on there, work to get it ported etcetc.

As much as I like the idea of that service, I really don't like that price tag. Would be better to offer both models and give people a choice between them.

Nintendo still has a name to keep as a family platform, I think that was the most important reason for them to offer something cheaper and more barebones.

1 hour ago, markderoos said:

As much as I like the idea of that service, I really don't like that price tag. Would be better to offer both models and give people a choice between them.

Nintendo still has a name to keep as a family platform, I think that was the most important reason for them to offer something cheaper and more barebones.

Well I mean sure why not - doesn't have to be exclusive but I think it's better if it is; though interestingly enough a two-tier system may actually foster its own demand.

Also you might be able to make something of it(as you could already) with both the sales but also a social interaction to try and judge what sort of market you have on your system for what sort of titles. Given that I feel Nintendo are still playing really rather safe with a lot of remakes and easy choices such as with this service - I think it's a gradual informational approach they could take from progressive user feedback to possibly even tailor the Switch game market to better please their consumers, and ideally grow demand from there.

I'll admit that in my own opinion this isn't a positive idea for Nintendo unless robustly done but working old franchise stuff into new franchise stuff whilst keeping it perceptibly wholesome could be really powerful imo.

• Like 1

News coming through of the hardhack making it through to Online - anyone with any opinions on what this might do to the service/value especially given it could affect the experience you're paying for?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2018/05/25/hacking-is-starting-to-affect-online-switch-games.aspx

Will it break it all apart knowing there's irretrievable devices out that with the hard hack vulnerability? Will the 'value' of the service still hold value?

Nintendo is already starting to ban people playing on hacked hardware so I would assume they'll be intent on cracking down on it even further when people start paying for the service. It doesn't deter me from paying for service but if I played competitive games like Splatoon it would probably worry me that people were gaining an advantage through cheating but like I said Nintendo have started the process of banning people who have chosen to hack their systems so hopefully the problem is under control by the time the paid service launches.

• Like 3

I know the mobile app is a complete joke, but it does have a report player function. So if you do see blatant cheating on Splatoon, you should probably report them.

• Like 2

I see the codes are now on Amazon over in the US.

With these now popping up I imagine a Direct isn't too far off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

With these now popping up I imagine a Direct isn't too far off.

Hopefully. 

I am so ready for that rumoured MK8 DLC. :hehe: Not to mention some solid info on the Switch online thing, the NES games and cloud saves.

"rumoured MK8 DLC" ... not sure if a few of us on here saying new MK8 tracks would be a good way to launch the online service counts as a rumour, but sure :laughing:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

"rumoured MK8 DLC" ... not sure if a few of us on here saying new MK8 tracks would be a good way to launch the online service counts as a rumour, but sure :laughing:

I think hes was referring to what I said the other week about a Direct being hinted at on 4chan that included new Mario Kart DLC. It's probably bogus but they have been right before when it comes to leaks.

It would be a good move, though. They need to give people lots of reasons to sign up to the service and expanding one of their most popular online games is a good way to do it.

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

They've been available on Amazon UK for ages... 

Yeah but it's just a random logo. This one looks more official. :D