NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018

Since it's so cheap I'll probably subscribe if there is anything good in it - I want to be able to play online if I want to - which I rarely do, though. 

I'm likely to subscribe...but my wish list is:

1. Party Chat

2. Cloud saves

3. Virtual Console

I'm sure I'll be playing online enough to justify paying for it! Hoping the Virtual Console arrives this year too :smile:

Edited by nekunando

Given the amount of time I spend gaming at home these days I don’t know if I’ll bother, I don’t play enough really.

I might just stick to PS4 for my online fix, as I prefer the online games on that console, and just use the Switch for gaming on my commute.

Given the amount of time I spend gaming at home these days I don’t know if I’ll bother, I don’t play enough really.
I might just stick to PS4 for my online fix, as I prefer the online games on that console, and just use the Switch for gaming on my commute.
Tru dat. I can't even remember the last game I played online with a Nintendo console. It was probably Mario Kart Wii. I think I'll wait.

To be honest, I'm not even sure I'll renew my PS+ when it runs out. Can't think of any multiplayer PS games that I'm thinking of getting in the future either.
  • Like 1

I play Splatoon 2 quite a bit but I'm not sure that'll still be the case by September, so I guess I'll see.

I also think this date will slip again.

2 hours ago, Blade said:

I'm likely to subscribe...but my wish list is:

1. Party Chat

2. Cloud saves

3. Virtual Console

That would do it for me, alongside Smash Bros.

I really hope that cloud saves are not part of this and that they come earlier than September. It really is an essential thing that should be free and available to all.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

So... Smash Bros Switch and Switch VC in September then?

Fine by me! :D 

I'm certainly hoping for a few more online games by the time this comes out and I'm sure a 'Deluxe' version of Super Smash Bros is almost a certainty :smile:

We'll obviously have Mario Tennis Aces by then too but I'd love to see Next Level Games unleash a new Mario Strikers in time for the World Cup :love:

• Thanks 1

Four years after Smash for Wii U I'd be seriously disappointed if it wasn't a new entry.

• Like 1

It’ll be smash for switch like the Last naming. It’ll definitely based off wii u.  It have shit loads of new content. So pretty much new. An absolute cert. 

i hope they release the “glfeatures” before that too. Surely there has to be a free trial of sorts of the service? Give us cloud saves and s better infrastructure and such a month or so before. 

I'm with @Ronnie on this one. That said, it makes business sense...the old game but with all the modes and levels from the 3DS and Wii U games would sell well.

I suppose they've perfected the formula so all the characters and stages + new ones + both modes and a proper single player story mode would be good enough. 

At what, £1.70 a month, I can't see any reason not to subscribe. I play more than enough of Rocket League, MK, Splatoon and ARMS online to justify it. The money will hopefully go towards discounts, servers and better features. Going to remain cautiously optimistic about this. Online VC games and launching with Smash would be a bonus.

• Like 3

My main issue with Smash 4 is that the controls just feel so clunky because the game is based around a d-pad and not full analogue. I've probably been spoilt by the full physics engine (e.g. momentum) used in Melee but the level of control in Melee is what I hope for in a future Smash, especially as they've gone back to a controller which has a minimum input of an analogue stick, something that they obviously couldn't replicate on a wiimote. That said, I certainly prefer Smash 4 to Brawl, and it's probably the best and most fluid they could have made a game feel whilst making it wiimote compatible. 

Oh and BRING BACK ICE CLIMBERS!

• Like 2

It’s great to be hear, and it’s pretty specific, so I’ll be surprised if they deviate from the September launch date.

Next up on the agenda should definitely be the Virtual Console/HD Classics, I hope. Not that the console is doing poorly without them - the abundance of brilliant indies and amazing AAA titles has made sure of that so far - but I think it would help to just provide the padding that the console needs to further consolidate consumer mindshare. 

Without a doubt, Nintendo has had the strongest catalogue of games over the generations. I think it would be a waste to both consumers and to them as a business to have a Netflix-style system as opposed to traditional Virtual Console.

HD remasters of Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc., could be massive releases in their own right, with consumers looking to play through previous Prime games ahead of 4; some are already beginning to crave another Zelda experience on the go; Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has sold very well so far, and so remasters/ports of Chronicles or X would be more than welcome, I’m sure.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

HD remasters of Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc., could be massive releases in their own right, with consumers looking to play through previous Prime games ahead of 4; some are already beginning to crave another Zelda experience on the go

Could they do Skyward Sword without heavily reworking it? I’m one of those that quite enjoyed the game for what it was, but it really relied on the motion controls. 

It also failed on the motion controls though, so I’d jump all over a version that was actually playable. There came a point in that game where the controls were the largest enemy. Fuck I never did come to grips with playing that damn harp. 

I really doubt we’ll see what constitutes a portable version of Skyward Sword. Too much work. 

28 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Could they do Skyward Sword without heavily reworking it? I’m one of those that quite enjoyed the game for what it was, but it really relied on the motion controls. 

It also failed on the motion controls though, so I’d jump all over a version that was actually playable. There came a point in that game where the controls were the largest enemy. Fuck I never did come to grips with playing that damn harp. 

I really doubt we’ll see what constitutes a portable version of Skyward Sword. Too much work. 

Honestly, I think the game could (and probably should) be reworked to be played without motion controls, but I don’t think that the lack of motion controls would be too much of a problem, given the gyro of the Joy-Cons. I agree with you, though, that to do so would likely require some serious reworking of the game already in place. Reading this Nintendo Life article, which about the motion controls of Resident Evil Revelations on the Switch, it seems that the Joy-Cons could be better than the Wiimote with Motion Plus in some ways, whereas in others it might be just as hit-and-miss.

Either way, it seems doable to some extent, and retooling/remaking games which made use of a previous Nintendo “gimmick” will be something interesting to see play out with The World Ends With You Final Remix, which, I’ve heard, made great use of the DS’s dual screen set-up. 

I think that giving the player the option to play the game with or without motion controls could be the way to go with a game like this, and so the game would have to be redesigned to allow for that, in my opinion; then again, reformatting the game to be compatible with minimal-to-no motion controls, whilst deviating from the original experience, is arguably the best way to go.

I think that Skyward Sword HD is probably somewhat inevitable, as I can’t see Nintendo letting Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD being allowed to go to waste having only released on the Wii U, and most major titles up to and including Majora’s Mask will likely be making their way to the Virtual Console, if - and when - it (eventually!) arrives.

When do you folks think we’ll hear more about the online service? I can’t see them bringing it up in a major way at E3 unless it’s tied to a release date for a game such as Smash; it seems more like a post-E3 Direct thing to me.

Edited by Julius Caesar

8 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Honestly, I think the game could (and probably should) be reworked to be played without motion controls, but I don’t think that the lack of motion controls would be too much of a problem, given the gyro of the Joy-Cons. I agree with you, though, that to do so would likely require some serious reworking of the game already in place. Reading this Nintendo Life article, which about the motion controls of Resident Evil Revelations on the Switch, it seems that the Joy-Cons could be better than the Wiimote with Motion Plus in some ways, whereas in others it might be just as hit-and-miss.

Either way, it seems doable to some extent, and retooling/remaking games which made use of a previous Nintendo “gimmick” will be something interesting to see play out with The World Ends With You Final Remix, which, I’ve heard, made great use of the DS’s dual screen set-up. 

I think that giving the player the option to play the game with or without motion controls could be the way to go with a game like this, and so the game would have to be redesigned to allow for that, in my opinion; then again, reformatting the game to be compatible with minimal-to-no motion controls, whilst deviating from the original experience, is arguably the best way to go.

I think that Skyward Sword HD is probably somewhat inevitable, as I can’t see Nintendo letting Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD being allowed to go to waste having only released on the Wii U, and most major titles up to and including Majora’s Mask will likely be making their way to the Virtual Console, if - and when - it (eventually!) arrives.

I've actually played the game on Dolphin using analogue sticks and it actually works much better. I believe the same version also cuts out a lot of the padding too.

I feel like Skyward Sword needs more than a straight up HD remaster. I'd like to see fix some of the pacing within the story and have another go at the art style - I don't think they got the most out of it due to the Wii's weak power.

On 01/02/2018 at 7:39 AM, Glen-i said:

Guess I'm not making it to the end of Mario Kart League this year then.

Meaning you won't pay for it?

My guess that games released up until that point will still be free to play online and it will launch with a big multiplayer game (Smash Bros? Metroid Hunters?).

11 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Meaning you won't pay for it?

My guess that games released up until that point will still be free to play online and it will launch with a big multiplayer game (Smash Bros? Metroid Hunters?).

Pretty much. I just gotta hope @Dcubed can't resist and piggyback off of that.

I doubt they'll let people play the likes of Mario Kart and Splatoon without charging for it, though. That's too good to be true.

£1.20 a month, for online and free VC games with online added (and whatever else Nintendo has planned), sounds a great to me.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

£1.20 a month, for online and free VC games with online added (and whatever else Nintendo has planned), sounds a great to me.

Not for someone who doesn't have an internet connection in their house. (I know I'm in a massive minority)

59 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Not for someone who doesn't have an internet connection in their house. (I know I'm in a massive minority)

How do you not have the internet in your house? 

Do you have a mobile phone and can use that?

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever they'll allow games released before to still be free, makes no sense whatsoever.