NEurope
Helmsly

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018

What is undecided? If they're going to do it? When they're going to do it? When they're going to announce it?

The launch schedule

Now that's very interesting. So these aren't actually Virtual Console titles (or at least don't carry the VC branding), so are these actually native ports then I wonder? (Like the 3D Classics games on 3DS)

At least, the Switch VC service will have nothing to do with the online subscription then. Hmm... Could mean it's far off, or not at all... Hard to say...

Guess we'll find out at E3 ::shrug:

Now that's very interesting. So these aren't actually Virtual Console titles (or at least don't carry the VC branding), so are these actually native ports then I wonder? (Like the 3D Classics games on 3DS)

At least, the Switch VC service will have nothing to do with the online subscription then. Hmm... Could mean it's far off, or not at all... Hard to say...

Guess we'll find out at E3 ::shrug:

My instinct is to say that, in light of the information regarding the delay of a complete Switch Online, and consequently the Classic Library, VC is much closer than we think and will come out before the end of the year (seeing as this would help bolster an already strong line-up for the Switch and make up, somewhat, for the relative lack of information on - and delay of - Switch Online).

It would make complete sense for Nintendo to now focus on launching Switch Virtual Console before the end of the year because of this delay*.

*is it bad that because of this logic I doubt it will become a focus for them? I mean, they are the kings of left field in gaming, after all.

The end of the year is definitely not much closer than I think. Considering we expected it at launch, an E3 'download now' is what I expect.

The end of the year is definitely not much closer than I think. Considering we expected it at launch, an E3 'download now' is what I expect.

That's what I hope.. or at the very least Virtual Console in the summer. I'm really in the mood for some Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario 64 :grin:

Unfortunately, I don't believe Gamecube games will make it to the service but I suspect there will be 2-3 HD remasters of GC titles throughout the life of the Switch such as Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime and.. F-Zero GX :eek:

Edited by nekunando

If the VC doesn't shadow drop at E3 then I will be MASSIVELY disappointed. I need some stuff to play on my Switch!

The Neo Geo games on Switch have really changed my perception of "Virtual Console". Hamster has (seemingly) easily made a Neo Geo emulator for Switch, is releasing games at a regular rate, and they all play perfectly as though they are running on a real Neo Geo. They have multiple options for button assignment, display resolution, the equivalent of restore points and much more. Like Sega's 3D Classics, they also have the option to play the Japanese or Westernised version (something I feel should be standard now).

Not trying to be controversial, but I've found myself asking why Nintendo's official Virtual Console is so tentative. Why can't they just make a SNES emulator and release the games? Why do they always take years to prepare individual games? Although there are some classic SNES and N64 games, I do feel Nintendo's Virtual Console is being given a reverence it doesn't quite deserve. For now, I'd rather give my money to Hamster for the Neo Geo games and (hopefully) some non-SNK arcade games too.

The price seem fine and the games subscription service seem a million times better than the free demo idea, but i need more information rally to get a full opinion

I'm not understanding why its so difficult to get the virtual console up.

I'm not understanding why its so difficult to get the virtual console up.

Because they don't just dump ROMs onto the service and hope for the best. They alter them to make sure they work as close to originally as possible.

Because they don't just dump ROMs onto the service and hope for the best. They alter them to make sure they work as close to originally as possible.

I find that hard to believe after how poor the analogue stick calibration was on all the N64 games. Clearly no one actually play tested F-Zero X before they released it.

Not trying to be controversial, but I've found myself asking why Nintendo's official Virtual Console is so tentative. Why can't they just make a SNES emulator and release the games? Why do they always take years to prepare individual games?

Because if they did that they know they wouldn't be able to justify the prices they charge!

I honestly would not be surprised if it took virtually no time at all to actually get each game running on the Switch and they are purposefully holding them back and saying "it takes a long time to do everything so perfectly, blah blah" just so they can charge people for buying the game again on a potentially fourth different virtual console service.

I think people underestimate the amount of work that probably goes into getting VC games working as well as possible on a new console. If it was easy for Nintendo just to 'dump' roms onto Switch with minimal effort and make heaps of money, I'm sure they would :heh:

Personally, I feel the Virtual Console has worked wonderfully well since the Wii and feel that I can rely on the games to work as intended. I don't like to compare these things to rival consoles as I don't want it to turn into another argument but I was very disappointed with several PS1 games on PS3/PSP, particularly with Metal Gear Solid and Um Jammer Lamy due to severe sound problems. If Nintendo were to let those sorts of issues slide, I'd be extremely disappointed and would think twice about downloading software.

I do wonder how many people actually care about them being fine-tuned to work perfectly (or should I say, how many people would notice over a version that works but with rough edges). It's like the excuse that Switch will only have NES games because they're adding online. That's nice, and I'd even say neat, but I'd happily not have online added if it meant a variety of consoles/games were released quicker.

I think people underestimate the amount of work that probably goes into getting VC games working as well as possible on a new console. If it was easy for Nintendo just to 'dump' roms onto Switch with minimal effort and make heaps of money, I'm sure they would.

None of us know how the process works. The only thing we do know is that Neo Geo games are being released left and right that are fully functional and execellent ports, with an added save feature. For all intents and purposes these are virtual console games. It's not as if Nintendo need to add Miiverse integration into the VC games anymore.

I feel if Cube games are on the way then the wait will be worth it but if it's once again a slow stream of NES and SNES games being offered then questions have to be asked about just what the hell their process actually is.

But haven't they already done the work on the emulator as they released them on the PS4? So just porting the emulator from that!

But haven't they already done the work on the emulator as they released them on the PS4? So just porting the emulator from that!

Yeah, they are on other consoles. This actually makes it more impressive. They've got their games up and running on multiple devices yet Nintendo haven't been able to get their own games running on a machine that they created. :p

I do wonder how many people actually care about them being fine-tuned to work perfectly (or should I say, how many people would notice over a version that works but with rough edges). It's like the excuse that Switch will only have NES games because they're adding online. That's nice, and I'd even say neat, but I'd happily not have online added if it meant a variety of consoles/games were released quicker.

I know I'm nowhere near the general public. But I'd notice, I'd notice hard.

Now, I don't have any experience with similar emulations on the PS4, but when I played through Final Fantasy 7 and 8 on the PS3, it was prone to crashing multiple times.

And don't even get me started on the quality of the PS Vita emulation. I posted this picture here ages ago back when I was playing through FF7

1618628_510071985777917_20097090_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=7d19cc7efc939f8e202f53afb9cf04fd&oe=59A189F2

This happened three times in one day, before I gave up on it.

I'd take Virtual Console over that any day.

Now, I don't have any experience with similar emulations on the PS4, but when I played through Final Fantasy 7 and 8 on the PS3, it was prone to crashing multiple times.

And don't even get me started on the quality of the PS Vita emulation. I posted this picture here ages ago back when I was playing through FF7

1618628_510071985777917_20097090_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=7d19cc7efc939f8e202f53afb9cf04fd&oe=59A189F2

Did you ever try deleting and reinstalling the game? Having something that bad happen multiple times seems more like a corrupted installation than anything.

Glad to say I've never had any issues with emulation on other systems and I would be much better if Nintendo worked on emulators for each Nintendo system and not per game. I think it was OK on the Wii at the beginning but I dont think they can keep taking so long on each system without losing goodwill which tends to be in short supply these days.

The Neo Geo games on Switch have really changed my perception of "Virtual Console". Hamster has (seemingly) easily made a Neo Geo emulator for Switch, is releasing games at a regular rate, and they all play perfectly as though they are running on a real Neo Geo. They have multiple options for button assignment, display resolution, the equivalent of restore points and much more. Like Sega's 3D Classics, they also have the option to play the Japanese or Westernised version (something I feel should be standard now).

Not trying to be controversial, but I've found myself asking why Nintendo's official Virtual Console is so tentative. Why can't they just make a SNES emulator and release the games? Why do they always take years to prepare individual games? Although there are some classic SNES and N64 games, I do feel Nintendo's Virtual Console is being given a reverence it doesn't quite deserve. For now, I'd rather give my money to Hamster for the Neo Geo games and (hopefully) some non-SNK arcade games too.

Hamster's Switch NG games have released with numerous issues, from sound delays to graphical glitches (most notably in Garou). Some have been patched and some have not.

They're good, but not up to the standard I would expect from a VC release (it's also worth noting that NeoGeo is probably easier to write an emulator for than NES/SNES, because there aren't any expansion chips or fancy PPUs to deal with, it's a relatively simple machine).

That being said though, I would really expect VC games (at least for NES/SNES) to start sooner rather than later. I would really be shocked if there is nothing on the service revealed (and ideally, released) come this E3.

Edited by Dcubed

You've brought this same example up a few times before and I'm sure you recall that a few of us who've also played the game over emulator said we never had this problem. It could be a dodgy install on your system.

Really, you'd think Nintendo would be able to develop a semi-decent emulator for SNES and NES games given that this has been achieved so long ago by people without intimate knowledge of the hardware.

Even N64 emulation has been achieved to an extremely high standard, years ago.

Edited by Sheikah

Guess I'm not making it to the end of Mario Kart League this year then.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2