NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

The Trump Presidency...is Over

I'd have extra security at the inauguration. After the scenes at the Capitol and Donald Trump claiming he won't attend could imply he expects more scenes of insurrection and violence like at the Capitol.

3 hours ago, Emerald Emblem said:

I'd have extra security at the inauguration. After the scenes at the Capitol and Donald Trump claiming he won't attend could imply he expects more scenes of insurrection and violence like at the Capitol.

For sure. I’d even go a bit further and say it should be done behind closed doors at this point. Given what’s been happening I really don’t know how they can control it if they hold it as usual.

Incidents won't stop on the 20th/the day of the Inauguration. If anything, I expect issues to ramp up. After all, Trump is promoting homegrown terrorism.

So some people are currently scraping all Parler content which includes photos of ID documents which can then be matched with anyone that was at the Capitol last week. Obviously it's ethnically ethically murky as a a lot of Parler content wasn't related to that and users would have not expected it to be public, but for those that did use it to organise for last week (and other events either past or future) it's one hell of a thing to be turned against them.

6 hours ago, Ashley said:

Obviously it's ethnically murky

You'd think it'd be mostly white.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Now you see this sword?"

I went from welling up to "FUCK YEAH CONAN, FUCK SHIT UP FOR DEMOCRACY" so God damned fast.

And that my friends, is mad 2021 energy.

• Like 1

Question: If Trump is not going to attend the inauguration of Biden...what happens with the "nuclear football"?

I assume Trump remains President right up to the second Biden is sworn in, so if Trump is in Florida doesn't the briefcase remain with him also till Biden is sworn in?

Suppose would they have a second one with different codes and once Biden is sworn in Trumps codes become deactivated and Biden get new codes.

But the way 2020 went and 2021 started I wouldn't be surprised if there is only one briefcase that would have to travel from Florida to Washington after Biden is sworn in :p

Question: If Trump is not going to attend the inauguration of Biden...what happens with the "nuclear football"?
I assume Trump remains President right up to the second Biden is sworn in, so if Trump is in Florida doesn't the briefcase remain with him also till Biden is sworn in?
Suppose would they have a second one with different codes and once Biden is sworn in Trumps codes become deactivated and Biden get new codes.
But the way 2020 went and 2021 started I wouldn't be surprised if there is only one briefcase that would have to travel from Florida to Washington after Biden is sworn in
As if they've given the real codes to Trump anyway...
  • Haha 1

*RANDOM STREAM OF THOUGHT*

possibly a stupid question just popped into my head but like if Trump has so much tech strat folk around him etc - why when he was banned from twitter did he not just....make a website? old school? buy a wordpress format host it yourself or buy some hosting and literally just get jared to tell all the lads ivanka to tell all the ladies - if he just needed/wanted a voice and platform....he had one just setup elsewhere?

like...did he NEED social media right then? if you gave him a blog style site where he could essentially tweet from - what loss? people can share the links on twitter. on facebook. on parler. etcetc.

i feel really stupid for only thinking about it now but srsly - a website is nothing. if its a single twitter feed of Trump its also super low key resource-wise barring the traffic/flood protection?

ofc hindsight is 20/20. But he coulda smashef himself a cracker if someone in his team and maybe just thought a hit old school and grabbed a Geocities?

Am I mad in this? It seems so simple so obvious that it wouldn't have worked but...compared to him now having no real public voice I'm surprised nobody has put this idea to him - it could still work even now?

1 hour ago, Rummy said:

why when he was banned from twitter did he not just....make a website?

For all his talk, Trump has never actually faced much hardship in his life. He claims to be an entrepreneur, but the extent of his activity as CEO of anything was to put his name on things and convince banks and investors to put money on it. If his projects failed (and they often did), he'd declare bankruptcy, look to make a profit from said bankruptcy, and move on. Like a spoiled brat moving from one toy to the other.

In other words, Trump has no idea on how to be pragmatic. If he finds an obstacle, he whines until he gets his way. Fixing the problem, or finding workarounds, are not solutions that cross his mind. And he chose to surround himself with sycophants who enable and emulate this behaviour, so they're not going to suggest practical solutions either.

(There's also the fact that his conservative cabinet is likely digitally illiterate)

Plus by its design Twitter allows you to be seen by people you wouldn't otherwise. If his rants and whinges were on his own website/blog or whatever then the majority of the traffic would be those that wanted to see it, whereas on Twitter its often shoved in your face even if you don't follow as people will reply, qt etc.

Look at Dominic Cummings as an example. He has a blog where he boasts about himself frequently but how many of us have actually sought it out? And how many of us have seen a Trump tweet on Twitter (disregard seeing it in news reports) even if we don't follow him?

3 hours ago, Rummy said:

possibly a stupid question just popped into my head but like if Trump has so much tech strat folk around him etc - why when he was banned from twitter did he not just....make a website? old school? buy a wordpress format host it yourself or buy some hosting and literally just get jared to tell all the lads ivanka to tell all the ladies - if he just needed/wanted a voice and platform....he had one just setup elsewhere?

For the majority of his followers, having to go to a different website would be inconvenient. The moment something like this becomes inconvenient, they give up. A lot of them also don't see the point if they can't anger others. 

8 minutes ago, Cube said:

For the majority of his followers, having to go to a different website would be inconvenient. The moment something like this becomes inconvenient, they give up. A lot of them also don't see the point if they can't anger others. 

Ofc I agree with this and the rhings above - but this is exactly what I'm saying. Sure it wouldn't be up to anything the others were - but it would have been something whilst he has so far had nothing with such a minimal outlay.

Besides which - who has to go anywhere? You get all of Trump's sycophants to tweet the site/link. Just link everything - lets be honest how often are most of us already every day just pasting and clicking links and not going to websites? Get Jared Ivanka etcetc to tweet out the site(thus you know its genuine by association) have them explain to folks how to bookmark - what is it more than just another click of a button the same way you'd click onto Trump's twitter?

I'm not saying ofc anything being said isn't valid - it's all exactly the sort of reasons why you wouldn't do it. But man....with his momenum the moment he got banned imagine an exclusive Donald Trump website just popped up? Posted to by him for him - they sell it as his temporary twitter replacement and develop it into his next platform over time - aiming to build ground up self-sufficient.

Honestly the more I look at what happened with Trump and all of it in these past four years and just how *obvious* it all was it almost looked dumb - just think if they'd been even just a little bit smarter.

They weren't though - and I recommend having a look around tinternets about the fall out within qAnon as a social phenomena - it's shattering some very fragile and (snow)flakey 'realities' for some, though this report amused me a fair bit;

https://lawandcrime.com/u-s-capitol-siege/qanon-supporter-asked-authorities-if-he-was-being-duped-after-expecting-pence-arrest-at-insurrection-testimony/

He'll definitely be making his own platform, he's suggested as much, television network I think is the popular theory? He'll come up with some mouthpiece but given he was only taken off Twitter 10 days ago (out of the blue) and probably had other things on his mind nothing was going to be up this quickly.

Anyway, good f-ing riddance, apart from Trump's embarrassing goodbye "me me me" speech, yesterday was a fantastic day. 

I think he genuinely never thought he'd be removed from those platforms so why bother putting in any effort.

• Thanks 1

(There's also the fact that his conservative cabinet is likely digitally illiterate)

Surely not!

Surely a President who suggested appointing his 10 year old son to head of 'cyber', knew what he was doing the whole time!
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bob said:

Surely not!

Surely a President who suggested appointing his 10 year old son to head of 'cyber', knew what he was doing the whole time!

He should have asked Fatima instead. 

• Thanks 1

President Biden represents to many a return to normality from the last four years or so by Donald Trump. A neo liberal, global agenda one with some social justice measures thrown in. I don't think it will be easy for his administration to fix the divide in America which partisan media helped in part open up but he will have to listen to people including the very ones who voted for Obama and then voted for Trump who felt that their voices had been forgotten about. If Joe Biden just repeats Obama/Clinton, don't be surprised if those voices get someone else to listen to them.

As for twitter, I think the final word should go to the person who impersonated ex President Trump on SNL -

'Twitter is like a party where everyone is screaming. Not much of a party. Goodbye for now.' - AlecBaldwin(HABF)

Edited by sumo73

He might just be saying that because of the drama with his wife though.

On 11/01/2021 at 4:46 PM, Jonnas said:

You'd think it'd be mostly white.

You know I've actually found the mix of ethnicities I've seen along with all really quite interesting and counter to this. I guess it's progress for multiracial equality if we aren't excluded from participating in good group-bonding acitivies of hate and racism with our white brethren?

(re: trump tech - again a limit was put on me suggesting i was suggesting just his cabinet - given the whole legal entity of 'The Trump Campaign' he has far more than his cabinet at hand. People keep arguing like Trump is some weak powerless man who wont pursue stuff if people around him wont - we clearly know that isn't true. Technical literacy of his *cabinet* is irrelevant and again dismisses the serious issues that people like Trump can cause);

Which I mention because I want to put this to folks - what do you think the future of the GOP could would or should be? Double-down on Trumpism/Populism/FakeNewsAltFactsDenialPsyOpsEtcEtcEtc or move away from it back to some semblance of self?

Asking as reportedly the Arizona branch of GOP have...decided to censure a few republicans who haven't agreed with Trump? Mostly stupidly of note being Cindy McCain - the late John McCain's wife(the LOSER who didnt have his mate trump up bone spur bullshit actually served got captured like a fool and stuck it out - typically non-conservative ideas) and a few house/senate members I think. It strikes me however as the most amazingly ridiculous and disconnected thing to do - UNLESS you want to appeal to the Trump base. Yet....why would you when you as Arizona just lost the state to Biden and iirc senate seats too - under the Trump ticket?

Ofc I'm no fan of the GOP but politics is politics. I personally think they need to enact a slow purge of the Trumpists(blanket on all who objected to electoral college votes on Trump's behalf) and possibly nebulise around Mitt Romney. I think whilst Trump has gained a lot of followers - some Republicans are getting really turned off(The Lincoln Project a great example in modern sphere) and I'm intrigued to see what their future holds whilst they decide between being The Trump Party or The Grand Old Party again.

EDIT: More to do with the insurrection; seen talk of this robocall for the 'rally' pop up a few times in news but seemingly nobody knows or has much if any accountability for it. Now it's being suggested it was a conditional dark money donor push;

https://amp.montgomeryadvertiser.com/amp/4243389001

Despite the diamondhands of the Gamestonks I'm still staying somewhat abreast of devlopments on this - I don't think the Republicans will break enough to vote against future office(who knows tho) and impeachment won't carry cos they're all fucking terrified of the consequencr of setting a precedent that actually forces accountability on the executive officeholder.

Anyhow rather than Trial stuff itself I was catching up on how stuff is still progressing re: insurrection stuff amd what not and I found two rather interesting articles. The national guard one perplexes(bar a few potentials; one i suspect but will not be able to verify) but the facebook one I'm quite shocked hasn't had a more damning amount of reporting - but you can easily see why they were quick to jump on the Trump ban train to cover their skin,

https://m.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/FACEBOOK-INC-10547141/news/Facebook-Knew-Calls-for-Violence-Plagued-Groups-Now-Plans-Overhaul-32321243/

https://www.nationalmemo.com/miller-disarmed-national-guard