NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

The Trump Presidency...is Over

1 minute ago, Londragon said:

This’ll be fun. Can’t see Trump admitting he lost, wonder how he’ll frame it.

Fraud, fraud and more fraud. 

Even though the only evidence of attempted fraud so far is a Tweet from Trump publicly demanding the counters to commit fraud to "STOP THE COUNT".

• Like 1

He's now trailing by almost 30,000 votes in Pennsylvania, which means...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS78AebU1aybhM9PkWB7gQ

BBC and a handful of other American News Networks are officially calling it.

Here's hoping he craps the bed so much over this that he loses all republican respect and they don't consider putting him forward for 2024.

Edited by Glen-i

Unfortunately it is far from over. Still, looking forward to Biden's inauguration, with Trump having to sit behind him. 

Even Fox News are reporting it, also saying that there's no reason to believe that any of Trump's challenges will succeed.

However, I think it's going to be very messy from now until the 20th January. He's going to do all he can to stir up the "fraud" card and make his followers hate and not accept Biden. 

I wouldn't put it past him to do try and do some ridiculous things regarding making Covid worse and to try and tank the economy - although hopefully the senate will be able to hold him back (some Republican senators have even spoken up to say that they don't think there's any fraud happening).

40 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Here's hoping he craps the bed so much over this that he loses all republican respect and they don't consider putting him forward for 2024.

I think Trump already lost all republican respect even way before he was nominated. It's just that the rest of the party sucked it up and propped him up as their representative anyway. Now that it's clear he lost, republicans are finally throwing him under the bus (now that he's not useful anymore). As useful as Trump was for these past 4-5 years, I think republicans realise his presidency will just hurt their credibility in the long run.

What republicans may do now is revise/reform their Primaries so that someone like Trump can't even try to run.

• Like 1

So many fireworks. Even the 4th of July seemingly completed noped the fuck out of Trump's America and emigrated here for the Winter months.

• Like 1

I'll miss his outrageous and crazy remarks. News won't be the same. I do hope and expect the media to completely ignore Trump going forward, giving him no time at all. 

It'll be interesting to see how things go down the next weeks for sure. 

I'll miss his outrageous and crazy remarks. News won't be the same. I do hope and expect the media to completely ignore Trump going forward, giving him no time at all. 
Well he's probably going get banned on Twitter for a start
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Going forward I guess you mean from January 2021 onwards when Joe Biden officially takes over. I agree the news won't be the same but nor will most late night comedy/political shows across the US.

The media's job is to report the news without fear or favour. Perhaps a bit idealistic but that's the way it should be.

Edited by sumo73
  • Like 1

More QAnon than Trump; I've been thinking aout posting this somewhere here on the forums giving the intersection of interests but wasn't sure which subforum or topic to go for - so I guess I've ended up landing it here. Medium-long read probably relative to most things folks engage with, but a very interesting take on the QAnon phenom from a game desginer's personal perspective;

https://medium.com/curiouserinstitute/a-game-designers-analysis-of-qanon-580972548be5

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Rummy said:

More QAnon than Trump; I've been thinking aout posting this somewhere here on the forums giving the intersection of interests but wasn't sure which subforum or topic to go for - so I guess I've ended up landing it here. Medium-long read probably relative to most things folks engage with, but a very interesting take on the QAnon phenom from a game desginer's personal perspective;

https://medium.com/curiouserinstitute/a-game-designers-analysis-of-qanon-580972548be5

Great find Rum. I encourage all to read, especially if, like me, you have people close to you mired in conspiracy bullshit.

• Thanks 1

I need to say something that has bothered me. Since Trump is so persistent on saying that there was cheating involved, could he be the one who cheated in the first place? I mean, if I use cheat codes or something in a game and still lose, I also think that my opponent must have cheated - and cheated more than me! 

13 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

could he be the one who cheated in the first place

Yes.

He cheated 4 years ago, he cheated this year, he's still cheating and he will always cheat.

• Like 2

I need to say something that has bothered me. Since Trump is so persistent on saying that there was cheating involved, could he be the one who cheated in the first place? I mean, if I use cheat codes or something in a game and still lose, I also think that my opponent must have cheated - and cheated more than me! 
I don't think he committed election fraud, as I think it's extremely difficult to do so.

However, he definitely made it difficult for certain people to vote, in an attempt to reduce the amounts of votes against him.

I believe if it had been a fair election in which everyone who wanted to vote, could do so easily, he would have lost in an even greater landslide.

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

I think the way he was attempting to sabotage the postal system in the run up to the election could be seen as cheating, sure. 

• Like 1

On 20/11/2020 at 11:59 AM, MindFreak said:

Thats basically the play - word for word how you do it. It's a mad tactic but as long as you are careful not to waver or seen to be or to weaken resolve at all - its draws its power. It's not complex but it CAN be effective. Few people are mental or psycho/sociopathic enough to fully stay the course though(because you are often flying in the face of truth) so it isn't always seen too much by people on such a large level because most people just cannot carry it.

@LazyBoy how mental did the people mired in bullshit to you get? How close to you are they too? The social impact of political happenings in recent times(covid included) has been a most curious sort of thing to see - all the more compounded by tinternets and social media etc.

20 hours ago, Rummy said:

@LazyBoy how mental did the people mired in bullshit to you get? How close to you are they too? The social impact of political happenings in recent times(covid included) has been a most curious sort of thing to see - all the more compounded by tinternets and social media etc.

How mental? Nothing dangerous, annoying, often frustrating. I like how Louis Theroux put it in that retrospective he did, its more like a faith. A version of the truth that has been revealed to you. Its a spiritual reckoning where logic, reason and common sense can be ignored if it holds an unpleasant truth. The belief is comforting, an endorphin hit that becomes more and more addictive the further you get down the rabbit hole. Before you know it you're part of a community - of websites, blogs, commentators - that reinforces it as part of your identity. 

16 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

How mental? Nothing dangerous, annoying, often frustrating. I like how Louis Theroux put it in that retrospective he did, its more like a faith. A version of the truth that has been revealed to you. Its a spiritual reckoning where logic, reason and common sense can be ignored if it holds an unpleasant truth. The belief is comforting, an endorphin hit that becomes more and more addictive the further you get down the rabbit hole. Before you know it you're part of a community - of websites, blogs, commentators - that reinforces it as part of your identity. 

I haven't had it myself too much if at all really - but I've been deeply interested in it hence asking(espesh with that QAnon take for reference) - so was curious how you seen/saw it manifest. I deffo had some very pro-trump peoples about but nothing beyond too much of their own personal madnesses - but this weird new world of yearning for 'alternative truths' which is actually just really 'alternatives' or 'alternatives that make ME feel happy' or 'alternatives that males ME feel happy whilst those around me are miserable' seems to be a growing business - and curiously where I would have thought we have a better grasp of material truth and nature than we ever have; with science and logic as well as the arts and others all at our hands - why are so many people seemingly defiant of reality right now?

It isn't neccessarily polar either - I see religion and sprituality rising more in a range of my circles and I find it curious. The yearn for something definitely seems to be there(and I've had it in parts myself and found my spiritual and/or alternative ends to go with it to - but not truly or really at any price of what came before. People now seem to just change maybe more than evolve? Forget the past and be something new? Old didnt work but new has potential and right now new does??)

• Like 1

Not actually directly Trump related(though I've kept following much if that and a number of the lawsuits and political theatre ongoing) but I guess I'm using this as a surrogate politics thread atm plus his bumchumming of Russia and Putin irks and disturbs me immensely;

Is there anything quite more Russian on the internet than this? Get half-murdered to death on Putin's orders with an internationally banned nerved agent THEN being defiant enough to recover THEN being so Russian you literally just ring them up to collect your reciepts? Is this not literally your typical action movie revenge hero plot?? Someone get this guy some guns and bombs and shit, stat!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/21/navalny-russian-agent-novichok-death-plot

I knew it was gonna happen. We all knew it was gonna happen. Still - the rage fury anger and sheer dissappointment that the pardons have been allowed to fly free irk me - Manafort is beyond the pale. High level foreign/Russian agent and...allowed to walk scott free now. I knew it was coming. I fucking KNEW it would - but I am SO angry at the whole nature of the systems around all of this supposed democracy that have failed so many checks and balances and let this filth run so rife and deep. I'm so furious.

2 minutes ago, Rummy said:

I knew it was gonna happen. We all knew it was gonna happen. Still - the rage fury anger and sheer dissappointment that the pardons have been allowed to fly free irk me - Manafort is beyond the pale. High level foreign/Russian agent and...allowed to walk scott free now. I knew it was coming. I fucking KNEW it would - but I am SO angry at the whole nature of the systems around all of this supposed democracy that have failed so many checks and balances and let this filth run so rife and deep. I'm so furious.

I'm with you there. I shouldn't feel so annoyed because it's par for the course for this joke of a president, but here we are.

The pardon system just feels so fundamentally wrong to me. I fail to see the genuine benefit to overturning this kind of thing. It just creates all sorts of distrust in an already distrusted government and it just seems so backwards.

Then again, it's America. The gun laws should clue you in to how backwards it can be.

• Sad 1