NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Assassin's Creed: Origins

So am I the only one buying this tomorrow? :p

Perhaps not scoring as well as a certain other game, but it currently has a decent 84 on metacritic, which is pretty much a standard for the series at this point.

Going in as blind as as one can be, which really isn't that blind with pictures  from the game everywhere you go. Even got "spoiled" on youtube. The only footage I've actually watched is a small part of the E3 demo. Anyway, I've been excited about this ever since I finished Syndicate really, can't wait to finally play this tomorrow.

Edited by Tales

I do really want it but have several titles I want first. Namely South Park!

18 hours ago, Tales said:

So am I the only one buying this tomorrow? :p

Perhaps not scoring as well as a certain other game, but it currently has a decent 84 on metacritic, which is pretty much a standard for the series at this point.

Going in as blind as as one can be, which really isn't that blind with pictures  from the game everywhere you go. Even got "spoiled" on youtube. The only footage I've actually watched is a small part of the E3 demo. Anyway, I've been excited about this ever since I finished Syndicate really, can't wait to finally play this tomorrow.

My copy is at home, i'm on it this evening once i've finished the final chapter of Walking Dead season 3.

AC games tend to drop in price pretty heavily just before Christmas or in the New Year sales. I'll probably pick it up then.

Anyone got this yet? Any good? I'm weirdly tempted by it despite disliking Syndicate and not being much of a Horizon fan. The videos I've watched evoke a twang of Witcher nostalgia that I've been pining for. The world looks great - what's the quality of the writing / storylines like?

I see for whatever reason, the season pass on Xbox One is £29.99 and on PS4 it's £32.99.  I know it's only £3, but that can't be right.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, without going into much detail it's good.

Bump

Just finished the main story (and the vast majority of the side-quests/stuff to do etc).  Quite pleased Ubisoft took a year off Assassin's Creed, it shows with this game that is for sure.  Story was interesting.

Spoiler

They dip into the Caeser Assassination in the Senate, and by that you actually assassinate him (along with many others).  You also get a Assassin hub in Memphis post-game, where you can buy Legendary weapons.  Aya is a decent alterative to Bayak, but it shows when you play as her that you can't upgrade weapons with her like you can Bayak.  Story-wise, good.   The War Elephants are tough to crack on a one-one basis, but you face two at one point and it gets tougher.

Might polish off the remaining side stuff, but otherwise i'm done for now.

Listening to Giant Bomb's various GOTY deliberations this week has really re-ignited my interest in trying this game. I think it might be the next one I buy once I'm done with Uncharted Lost Legacy.

So I finally jumped and I'm so glad I did. I'm not even that far into it (it's absolutely huge) and it's safe to say it's my favourite AC. The ancient Egyptian setting really helps. Seeing Giza as it would have been two thousand years ago is great fun. 

It feels like a mixture of AC, Witcher 3 and even Horizon. Fluid gameplay, great combat and an expansive world.

Completed this last night. Most enjoyable. Once again they pull the stunt of having the final boss a piece of piss. Although I had pretty much done all the side quests (bar the arena/chariot/elephant things) and pimpsmacked every location.

I was going to pick up and play Assassin's Creed Odyssey but figured I had Origins just sitting on my shelf and rather than splash some cash I should really dig into the backlog and tackle Origins first. I started it on Sunday morning, finished the main story on Monday night and Platinumed it on Tuesday evening.

Great game! I loved the story, even if some of the story beats were a little obvious. Running around Egypt was fantastic and some of the views that were on offer were absolutely stunning. I played the game how I do most open world games in that I went and scouted all of the towers first, despite some of them being situated in areas that were way above my level. This made it is super easy to travel between areas when the need called for it.

My enjoyment of the game was somewhat damped when I started going for the platinum. There is a special place in hell for the person who decided to make a trophy for doing every ? activity in the game. It took me ages to cover the whole map and complete them all. What makes it worse is that there is no real counter in the game for what has or hasn't been done. You have to switch what icons are on the map and then slowly scroll to see which ones you may have missed. Some of them blend in really well with the map and are very difficult to see.

There were some hilarious moments that occurred while playing the game. Just running around the world I seen things like hippos attacking small rafts and sending NPCs flying in the air, lions being set on fire, running into a pile of flammable scenery which then killed some enemies and me riding on a horse at full pelt, seeing I was about go over a cliff and then quickly leaping off before my horse fell to its death. That one kind felt like a Mario jumping off of Yoshi to survive kinda moment.

I know there is a lot of discussion about the levelling system in Odyssey and I have no idea if it's the same as Origins but I had no issue with it whatsoever. With me doing lots of side missions, clearing bases and helping NPCs I was never low in level and could always carry on with the main mission if I chose to do so.

So, yeah, great game. With that now done I feel less guilty about buying Odyssey, which I have just went out and bought. It's installing now. :D It will be interesting to see if I get burnt out playing both these games back to back but I did enjoy the gameplay loop a lot so it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this