NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jamba

Fixing broken PS2s

Hey all,

I should be aquiring a broken PS2 for free soon, if all goes smoothly. Obviously it cheapness is down to the fact that its a bit bust. Well ok a lot bust.

It's a slimline platinum model and it doesn't power on at all. From what the person say that I'm getting it off, it's nothing to do with the transformer cos hes tested it with another one. Any clues? I know I haven't had a chance to open it up yet but still... Any ideas on common problems or links to helpful websites would be ace and much appreciated. Tah all.

See if the on/off button is still there inside. On my pc i knocked the on switch and now i have to keep pushing it in inside otherwise it will fall out.

HAve you tried google. Open it up. Look at the on/off switch it may have had a knock

If it doesn't even turn on then it's probably beyond repair, Sony aren't exactly well known for robust game consoles. One bang an it's pretty much lights out for the PS2.

Worse still is the fact that a slimline PS2's hasn't got a "power off" - mode (other than unplugging the power plug) If it's plugged in it's constantly in a standby- mode. Seems like some components (or worse a chip) has broken inside the console. If it's a simple one like a capacitor/diode/resistor it's pretty easy to fix (you can use a soldering iron can't you ;) )

Just a quote I found on a discussion group.

Power supply issues aside, the Gamecube has been far, far more reliable

than both Xbox and PS2. From the dodgy disc drives that have plagued

thousands of Xboxes, to the numerous faults associated with the PS2, too

many to mention, the Gamecube has proven to be a goldmine of reliability

and build quality.

Edit: I just remembered I know a guy who had a PS1 which only worked when it was in a 45 degree angle. You could try that.

And wasn't the slimline PS2's power adapters somehow faulty? You should probably check if it is here

Sign in to follow this