NEurope
drahkon

Life is Strange 2

In a video released in the last few minutes the studio has confirmed it has now sold more than 3m copies of Life is Strange's first season - and that a new Life is Strange game was on the way.

Apparently this new Life is Strange has been in development since the first game recieved its disc release - but there's no word yet on when we might hear more.

Source: Eurogamer.net

Wonderful, wonderful news.

Should hear more about it at E3 next month hopefully.

Sadly, they said it won't be at E3.

Ah, beat me to it.

Anyway, I don't think I have to tell how much I'm looking forward to this.

I... bought the original game in its physical form, didn't play it, the game then became collectable so I sold it on to someone who possibly would end up playing it instead. ::shrug:

Too many physical special edition PS4 games, what you gonna' do? :heh:

Ah well, I might play the original digitally, it'll probably be a Plus game soon if it hasn't already - I can't remember - so I might buy this sequel potentially, so yay? :smile:

Or I might just buy the physical limited edition again... y'know... just in case. :indeed:

I enjoyed the first, except

The sodding ending. Kind of defeated the whole story of the game, made it feel a waste of time.

Otherwise it was decent.

A bunch of artwork has leaked for the a prequel to the first game.

6rOGabn.jpg

2fPve4t.jpg

AXN5Xf6.jpg

pmAHlu8.jpg

3ZMor4n.jpg

This is apparently being developed alongside the sequel that Dontnod are making.

I assume it's some small standalone episode to tide us over until they release season 2 (if this is true).

Max & Chloe's story is done, and I can't imagine them needing more than one episode to tell Chloe & Rachel's story. But it would probably make a great little promo for both the new season and the previous one for those who have yet to play it.

I assume it's some small standalone episode to tide us over until they release season 2 (if this is true).

Max & Chloe's story is done, and I can't imagine them needing more than one episode to tell Chloe & Rachel's story. But it would probably make a great little promo for both the new season and the previous one for those who have yet to play it.

That sounds good and makes a lot of sense. I could see that happening.

Looking forward to more of this. Interested to see where they go after the ending/s of the first game.

That sounds good and makes a lot of sense. I could see that happening.

Looking forward to more of this. Interested to see where they go after the ending/s of the first game.

I'm pretty sure they already confirmed it would be a brand new story (but can't be arsed to look up a quote), with a new setting and characters. Like I said, Max' & Chloe's story is finished, and no matter how much I love them, I can't see them (or at least Max) returning for another season. Personally I prefer a new setting and characters.

I'm hoping for a brand new story and characters. Nods to Max and Chloe would be nice, of course, but that's all I need.

So bumping this to post the trailer for The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit, which'll be free on PS4, Xbox One and Steam on June 26th.

In The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit, you play as Chris, an ordinary 10-year old boy who dreams of being a superhero. Chris has a big imagination that will take him on all sorts of adventures, but on this particular Saturday something truly extraordinary will happen to him...

This stand-alone adventure that will also give you a glimpse into what the brand-new story and characters of Life is Strange 2 will be... but only if you're clever enough to piece the clues together!

The blurb for the trailer suggests that this mini-episode will point towards Life is Strange 2, so I'm guessing it'll be a sort of precursor to that whenever that comes. I wouldn't be surprised for some sort of Life is Strange 2 announcement to come out of Gamescom. Looking forward to it tho and to an entirely new ensemble of characters.

Loved the look of this. Can't wait for this or Life is Strange 2. I still need to play Before the storm, so will have to get around to that this summer!

Teaser trailer has been released with a full reveal happening on August 20th, the day before Gamescom starts so expect some previews and such to follow I'd say.

Doesn't give a huge amount away but definitely intriguing nonetheless. I'm already in for the season so I can't wait to see a little more and for the first episode in September.

Official announcement of this is happening tonight, 9pm BST (10pm CEST, 1pm PDT, 3pm EDT) and really excited to see what this second season is all about. That teaser definitely piqued my interest to the point I'd say this is probably my most wanted game of the year.

I'm not sure about watching the reveal, I loved the first game and Captain Spirt so much that I have complete faith in DONTNOD so I know I'm definitely going to play it. Did the reveal for the original game give much away plot wise? I want to be as fresh as possible going into it.

Looks interesting. Not a huge amount given away but seems like it'll tell a different style of tale this time around. And going by the prequel, Captain Spirit (tagging as some might still want to play before playing this):

Spoiler

Looks as though you're playing the kids from next door to Chris and his dad. The blast from the teaser clearly comes from one of them so I'm guessing they're who stopped Chris from falling from the tree house at the end of that.

Intrigued and we'll no doubt see more in the coming days from Gamescom. If I remember correctly, they didn't do a massive reveal with the first game but at Gamescom, they did a replica booth based on Chloe's bedroom and there were a ton of hands on from there. Not that I expect the hands on to say it's drastically different gameplay wise but maybe just a bit of tightening up like they did in Captain Spirit.

My pre-order is already is so now just to wait for it all to start in September.

I sat down and played through the first episode of this on Thursday and really enjoyed it.

I was a little worried how they would handle the move away from Arcadia Bay and Max and Chloe but what they've managed to bring to the table is great. It was definitely the right choice and getting to know Sean and his brother Daniel on their travels as they try to comprehend what has and what is happening around them.

Thematically, it's a complete shift from the themes of the original and definitely hits the heavy notes throughout. The opening seems like it's going to be a nice happy family moment and then events begin to unfold that really escalate things really quickly and set things off to explore real world parallels in some of the issues apparent throughout America today.

The brother dynamic I thought was really well done and the journey so far has given me a kinda of Americana/Kerouac feel to things. One of the characters you meet also brought to mind Into The Wild and if those are the kind of themes they're going to explore going forward, similar to those books and authors' works while continuing to work on the brother dynamic and the continued supernatural bit then I can't wait to see what happens next.

I thought with the size of the game file (episode 1 alone weighs in at 12GB) that it might have been a little bit longer than it was as it only lasts 2, maybe 3 hours but it seems the heft of that file size is more to do with the improvements they've made to the engine and the visuals. It's a definite step up from the previous games in that department as the open spaces and locations have been beautiful to look at.

The next episode won't be out till January as Dontnod have said they don't want to rush something that is ambitious for them, they want to get it right which is understandable as there's a lot of hype for the game and the next episode, they've had a three choice moment in this first episode so narrative threads are clearly wide ranging and I think they feel a bit of pressure in the wake of TellTales closure with eyes on them to continue this style of games.

But yeah, so far so good for from that first episode. Some really good moments and I can definitely see some threads going out that are going to cause some really difficult decisions that are going to be heart breaking.

Just played through Episode One myself, Dontnod really know how to rip my heart out - already feel very emotionally invested in Sean and Daniel's story. Not sure whether to play Episode Two as soon as it launches or wait until more episodes come out. 

Episode 2 finally releases this week, on the 24th. Glad I didn't play the first episode the moment it was released as the wait of 4 months would have been agony and irritating. But it's finally out in 2 days and I'm hoping for more of the same as I really enjoyed what was there with the first episode.

Looking forward to seeing where they go with the episode, even if I think I've got a vague idea of what they plan to do.

Spoiler

I have a feeling that there's going to be a confrontation with Chris' Dad in relation to the physical abuse Chris has been going through by Sean and it'll either end up in a fight with them having to run off once again before the police catch up to them. That's what I imagine I'd going to happen towards the end. Otherwise, I feel there'll be a lot of down time with Chris and playing with Captain Spirit.

Edit: Just in time, the launch trailer for Episode 2 has been released. I've stuck it in a spoiler tag for those waiting for all episodes to release before jumping in. Once again though, fantastic choice of music. They really do a great job picking the right tracks to go with the trailers and in the game too.

Spoiler

Edited by Ganepark32

Bit of a bump this one but the fifth and final episode will release on Dec. 3rd (this coming Tuesday). It's taken it's time to release but I'll finally be able to sit down with the full thing now as I haven't touched the game since the first episode released last year. The gaps between the episodes were too long to long so I've just let it build up. I'll need to replay the first episode again but at least I'll now get the full story in one go rather than waiting for 15 months to play the full thing. Anyone else jumping in or have we all forgotten about it? I know I pretty much had till I saw Dontnod tweeting about it the other day.

It's also on offer I believe on digital stores for those wanting to pick up the full season (£16.36 on Xbox One, £16.49 on PS4).

There is a physical release coming in the 3rd as well but unless you buy the collectors edition through the Square Enix store, all the standard physical release contains is 4 of the 5 episodes on the disc and a couple of patches for your in game backpack. That's it. The collectors has the soundtrack on vinyl, an art book and some figures. A shame really as I liked that they put the effort in to the physical release on the original (and Before the Storm) and gave you an art book and the soundtrack with the physical disc. Seems a bit lacklustre this time.

On 11/30/2019 at 1:17 PM, Ganepark32 said:

Anyone else jumping in or have we all forgotten about it? I know I pretty much had till I saw Dontnod tweeting about it the other day.

I'll be picking it up but probably not straight away. By all accounts the game isn't a patch on the first 2 games, with the story being a bit all over the place. I still want to play it but will probably wait until it gets discounted.

I played through the first episode about this time last year but decided to wait for the rest to release before continuing. I've played through the remaining 4 episodes over the last few days and I definitely didn't feel as emotionally invested in the story and the characters as I was with those in the first game but it still felt like Life is Strange. I feel like I might have fared better if I had played the first episode again before playing through the others, even with the recap I had forgotten quite a lot of the story beats that set Sean and Daniel on their journey. I think my main complaint with the game is that the road trip style doesn't do it any favours, as soon as you get emotionally attached to someone the game just moves on to another scenario. One of the things I loved so much about the first game was the setting, spending so much time in Blackwell Academy, Chloe's house, the junkyard, the diner and all the other spots in Arcadia Bay really helped to ground everything.