NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

WipEout Omega Collection

Did not see a topic.

Less haste, more speed

Gravitate to greatness

Sharp bends, stomach-churning loops and sheer drops – are you prepared for the breath-taking, full throttle return of WipEout? Packed with all the content from WipEout HD, WipEout HD Fury and WipEout 2048, Omega Collection features 26 reversible circuits, 46 unique ships, a ton of game modes and a mixture of new and classic music tracks.

Take out the competition with a variety of weapons while ripping through the air to some of the most memorable tunes in video game racing. Whether you’re blazing past a friend in the split-screen two-player mode or leaving all-comers in the dust via the eight-player online matches, fast and furious futuristic fun is at your fingertips.

With improved lighting effects and sharper visuals, this is WipEout like you’ve never seen it before.

The beta is now out. :grin:

Might have to dust my PS4 off for this, haven't touched it in months.

Really wish this was a new Wipeout game though instead of just a port.

Might have to dust my PS4 off for this, haven't touched it in months.

Really wish this was a new Wipeout game though instead of just a port.

Yup. Or if they were going to do a port, it would have been nice to have tracks from the first game, 2097 and W3O as well.

I agree. The problem is lack of interest in the franchise/racing games right now.

More tracks would have been awesome.

The beta so far is awesome. I think they included the whole game. Some nice enhancements etc. Will have to fire up the Spotify Wipeout playlist for the old music. Like Gran Turismo Sport, it's not Pro enabled yet.

Edited by Choze

I wonder if they'll recycle the excellent trophy from Wipeout HD that required you to complete the entire campaign with bronze medals, equip the ship livery obtained by doing so, and then finish an online race on completely dead servers in which seven other players have also followed the same measures.

I have such fond memories of collaborating with adolescent Gamefaqs users to get that trophy. All of them exercised remarkable restraint in their refusal to deliberately sabotage my trophy hunt (by quitting seconds before the end of a correctly-organised race, as a hypothetical example), and with just four short hours spent across two separate days in the successful attempt (presumably the slight delay was caused by your usual PSN connection issues) I was overcome by a warm, fuzzy feeling of gratitude for the developers of the game; not only had they allowed me to flex my racing muscles, but my admin muscles were given a workout too. If only we were ennobled by these kinds of trials more often.

cj7VMWm.jpg?1

Did you have to sign up the beta, or can you find it on the store?

Never actually played a Wipeout game, so am quite looking forward to this. Might be one to play through in the summer!

Did you have to sign up the beta, or can you find it on the store?

Paladins is open beta.

Nice sleeve, but that wouldn't make it to PS4 Tower™ (picture coming soon) with it intact. ;)

Really nice future collectable packaging though. : peace:

Nice sleeve, but that wouldn't make it to PS4 Tower™ (picture coming soon) with it intact. ;)

How many games in this tower have actually been played? :p

How many games in this tower have actually been played? :p

Completed - 4 :D

Played - 20 :)

Total - 58 :red:

Capacity - 72 :blank:

I'll probably fill the unit before I finish even a tenth of my collection. ::shrug:

At least WipEout Omega Collection is something that I can jump right into, I've been wanting to play more of the series for ages but for some reason it just feels right on the PS4. : peace:

Oh man fuck that retro PSX sleeve. You can't prey on that sort of nostalgia when you've closed the phenomenally talented studio that was responsible for creating the series, and when the game you're putting out is a remaster that actually contains no tracks or vehicles from the games on the system the sleeve is referencing.

But I still want it obvs.

Picked this up earlier today and gave it an hour or so just now (I really should go to bed :blank: ) and I'm not sure what to make of it so far.

I've never really played a WipEout game before other than the original PS1 version a couple of years ago when I downloaded it on PS3. That particular game had great vibes that I wasn't sure had carried forward well as the series moved on but I've always been curious to give one of the more recent games a go.

Omega Collection has been on my radar for a while for that very reason. It controls well and softly introduces you to the franchise's demands but to touch on an irritation I pointed out the other day about a lot of modern racing games in General Retro Discussion, I'm not particularly keen on the structure.

In WipEout for PS1, there was a nice progression from race to race with the learning of the structures of each course and how to handle them an enjoyable learning experience with just the right amount of pressure to succeed or go through it all again! Selecting single events from a grid has never really been a preference of mine and it isn't here, either.

I look forward to playing more but I already don't think I'm going to like it as much as I really want to!

• Thanks 1

@nekunando Picked this up earlier today and gave it an hour or so just now (I really should go to bed :blank: ) and I'm not sure what to make of it so far.

I've never really played a WipEout game before other than the original PS1 version a couple of years ago when I downloaded it on PS3. That particular game had great vibes that I wasn't sure had carried forward well as the series moved on but I've always been curious to give one of the more recent games a go.

Omega Collection has been on my radar for a while for that very reason. It controls well and softly introduces you to the franchise's demands but to touch on an irritation I pointed out the other day about a lot of modern racing games in General Retro Discussion, I'm not particularly keen on the structure.

In WipEout for PS1, there was a nice progression from race to race with the learning of the structures of each course and how to handle them an enjoyable learning experience with just the right amount of pressure to succeed or go through it all again! Selecting single events from a grid has never really been a preference of mine and it isn't here, either.

I look forward to playing more but I already don't think I'm going to like it as much as I really want to!

•  

The campaign isn't as engaging as it could be but I found that as you progress, the relaxing, hypnotic quality of the events gradually becomes more intense and addictive.

Did they amalgamate the HD, Fury, and 2048 campaigns into one campaign? Would've made more sense to do that because there probably weren't enough circuits to justify the amount of events in each individual campaign, so you might get find the HD stuff gets stale before you move onto Fury. I'd persevere with the game though - it definitely crept up in my estimations when I was initially underwhelmed.

Edited by dwarf

On 06/04/2018 at 2:16 PM, dwarf said:

The campaign isn't as engaging as it could be but I found that as you progress, the relaxing, hypnotic quality of the events gradually becomes more intense and addictive.

Did they amalgamate the HD, Fury, and 2048 campaigns into one campaign? Would've made more sense to do that because there probably weren't enough circuits to justify the amount of events in each individual campaign, so you might get find the HD stuff gets stale before you move onto Fury. I'd persevere with the game though - it definitely crept up in my estimations when I was initially underwhelmed.

It's definitely growing on me :hehe:

While I initially focused on 2048, I found myself in a position one day where my only three options for progression were all zone challenges. For whatever reason, I didn't fancy doing one that day so I moved onto HD for the time.being and am probably having a better time as it feels more like the old WipEout and the novice difficulty is much more forgiving :grin:

• Like 1

Anyone tried VR on this? It's bloody brill. Game's a bit of a bargain with that factored in. I've never played a wipeout game but very much enjoying this - the sound design has a nice pod-racer-y feel too

I just finished getting all of the gold medals in WipEout HD. I enjoyed it but always find it a little anticlimactic when you beat something and everything basically carries on as if nothing happened :indeed:

I think I'll go back to 2048 before tackling Fury as even though the speed was increasing it was all starting to feel a little repetitive..

Sign in to follow this