NEurope
MindFreak

Darksiders III

Just announced with a CGI trailer.

Coming 2018 for PC, Xbox One and PS4.

Glad to see that this is finally happening. With the ending to the second and seeing the other riders coming, it would have sucked if they'd have left it there.

I'm hoping it is more in line with the likes of the first Darksiders as opposed to the second one. The first just felt like a more well rounded game while the second didn't land as well and felt too bloated with a massive empty over world and story that didn't really live up to much. That latter point is something that really put more off of the second one, hopefully they've looked at what went wrong there and take it back to the style of the first as I really liked the desert area from the first game that was an extended dungeon but set in the over world, leading up to that serpent boss.

Fury should provide a nice change of pace with the chain weapon and apparently using more "magic" based attacks (if the blurb from the Amazon listing is anything to go by) so it should end up being a nice fast paced combat system hopefully. And hopefully it'll set up the fourth instalment well for Strife.

Looking forward to it though. Should see it in action at E3 in a couple of weeks so should also see some early hands-on with it.

Good... now just reprint Darksiders: Warmastered Edition for PS4/Xbox One between now and 2018, reprint Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition - if required - and this should put Darksiders III in a good position to sell well by the time it's released. :D

As for me, I do actually own the first two games on the Xbox 360... they are still sealed as well - picked them up when they were cheap - I'll just keep them as potential collectable games for the future at this point. :indeed:

I've just ordered the re-releases for Xbox One, cost about £28 for the two from different places - first game ShopTo, second game Gameseek via eBay - so maybe I'll actually get around to playing them this time before the third game is released. :heh:

To anyone else in the same situation, I'd get these titles now before they become rare or hard to find, I can see it happening.

Because of what happened a few years ago(?) with the uncertain future of the franchise, I think that's why I perhaps didn't want to get invested but now I'm more than happy to. :smile:

Now, if it was confirmed that we'd be getting all the games on the Switch, I would have considered waiting to get them all on there - Darksiders: Warmasted Edition is still coming out on Wii U afterall - but due to the uncertainty and me feeling that the game belongs more on an Xbox platform - to me - I'm now all in for all the games on Xbox One.

I've got to get some multiformat titles for the console afterall, at this point my PS4 collection outnumbers my Xbox One collection at a ratio of 3:1 and even that's being kind by rounding down the number of Playstation titles. : peace:

Edited by S.C.G

Fuck yes. Loved the first (sadly can't get into the remaster) and the second well.....never finished it and enjoyed it but the world felt too large and empty.

I bought the remastered editions of the first two installments recently. Played the first one for a couple hours on the PS3 but stopped for some reason. I thought it was excellent.

Have to give the games another go soon.

Can't say I'm a fan of Fury's design. Seems a bit off.

Agreed. Her face is very weird.

I loved the first game. For me, it was probably the best Zelda type game in that generation. The sequel didn't really grabbed as much and I never finished it, pretty much for the same reasons as @Ganepark32 stated.

Agreed. Her face is very weird.

I loved the first game. For me, it was probably the best Zelda type game in that generation. The sequel didn't really grabbed as much and I never finished it, pretty much for the same reasons as @Ganepark32 stated.

I think it's her eyes. They are huge and angled. It's early days so that could change.

I think it's her eyes. They are huge and angled. It's early days so that could change.

They need to get Joe Mad back to design the characters. I've been a huge fan of his ever since he took over drawing Uncanny X-Men back in the 90s. It's a shame he went off to make the Battle Chasers game. :(

First gameplay footage courtesy of IGN:

It's looking ok, it definitely looks pre-alpha there with the combat system (though the person playing didn't help) and some poor animations. The HUD looks horrible and some of the enemy design seems to be lacking that Darksiders style, but maybe that's just for one section. Environments are looking good though and glad to see a bit more of a return to the Earth locations rather than the more fantasy based worlds of the second.

So some areas to improve but there's enough there to give hope. I just hope that that isn't indicative of the full combat system as that'll become a slog playing through a 20 odd hour game like that. Should see a bit more in a few weeks at E3 and I suspect that that 2018 date is probably going to be pinned down to a Q1 window (I'd say maybe April/May).

Reviews for the game hit this morning and it's sounding pretty rough. The old school type of gameplay doesn't really bother me ( I welcome it ) but it appears the game has a bunch of bugs and glitches in it. 

Shame about all of this as I was kinda looking forward to playing it. Over the weekend I fired up the original game on the PS4 and ended up completing my save on it and then playing through it again to get the platinum, all due to the third game arriving. At least I cleared it from my backlog. :p 

This game had a quick price reduction written all over it before the reviews hit but now I imagine it will crash in price even faster. Hopefully by then the game will actually be properly finished/polished with some patches.

• Thanks 1

Ah well, I still bought it. :p

By the time I get around to playing the other two games, it will probably be patched and playable.

I'm sure it'll end up being another flawed but enjoyable "mini-masterpiece" like the other games... that's generally how they are viewed, isn't it? ::shrug:

I'll be looking forward to hopefully playing the series either way and it feels good to support THQ Nordic right now.

Ultimately this latest entry sounds like a fun hack 'n slash game with a good story and a decent focus on rewarding exploration and experimentation.

At least that's what I gleaned just from skimming through the metacritic "pull quotes" so... I reckon I'll enjoy it. :)

I was hoping the scores would be mostly 7s and 8s but seeing some of the scores coming out, it's definitely put a dampened on playing it for me anyway.

I absolutely loved the first game and though the second added a lot of stuff, it didn't feel as tight and the pacing was off because of the more open worlds, with some poor dungeon design, and loot system. I had hoped the third would follow the first game more and it sounds like it does to a degree but it doesn't have the substance to carry it through.

It's a real shame because to even get this third game, it's a bit of a miracle given that no one wanted the IP when it went to auction after THQ originally folded. But it sounds as though a bigger budget was needed for them to fully realise what they wanted or a smaller one to tighten it up to be a more succinct dungeon crawler would've been the answer. It's coming out in a rough time as well with the number of great games about and that's the biggest shame because it'll never get the sales it needs to to give the final horseman, Strife, his outing. But maybe after reading some of the reviews, that might be for the best if a better plan for development isn't reached.

What sucks more is seeing in one review that Platinum Games were at one point interested in buying the IP. How things could've changed with that.

I may pick it up at some point but with having just started Assassin's Creed Odyssey last week (and I've spent the weekend cleaning ships and bounty hunters in two) and the likes of Thronebreaker and Subnautica put next week, not to mention that I also need to pick up Tetris Effect as the soundtrack has wormed it's way into my head, there's just too much quality to choose over this at the moment. Sucks really as I'd had hoped it would end up being decent.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

I absolutely loved the first game and though the second added a lot of stuff, it didn't feel as tight and the pacing was off because of the more open worlds, with some poor dungeon design, and loot system. I had hoped the third would follow the first game more and it sounds like it does to a degree but it doesn't have the substance to carry it through.

Same. I adored it back on the 360 and really enjoyed playing through it again over the weekend. It was the best Zelda game I played on a console during the 360 generation. It annoys me that we are still left hanging with that ending after all of these years. :cry:

So after watching both of the above reviews, I think somewhere inbetween feels about right, therefore I reckon I'll enjoy the game. :D

Now to play the other two titles first... :p

A fair review from Easy Allies, hopefully the game will be patched across all formats at some point.