NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hogge

Should Inklings replace Miis?

Some time ago, there was a bit of a discussion of whether Nintendo should use Miis or not. Personally, I think that Miis are way too generic and bring thoughts to an era that Nintendo seemingly are trying to get away from.

But the thing is, I don't really have anything against the core concept of having an avatar that you can customize to your preference. And I can definitely say that I like nearly everything about Splatoon.

With Inklings having customizable outfits, genders, haircuts and colours, as well as them popping up in more and more games (they're in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and I'm counting on them being in the next Smash Bros), I'm starting to think: couldn't Inklings, with their cooler art style, be a suitable replacement for Miis?

Awww, is someone sick of my Mii shouting "YAAAAAY" in Mario Kart?

Seriously though, no, not even a little.

First of all, not everything about the Wii needs to be left behind. If that was the case, you might as well wave goodbye to Virtual Console.

Secondly, the Mii's excel because of their simplicity, they're easy to implement into other games because of how basic they are.

The Inklings are cool, but they kinda have only one setting, cool. I know for a fact I'm not cool, not one iota. So an Inkling wouldn't capture my personality as well as my Mii does. Make them an avatar replacement and you'd have to strip away a lot of the personality from them.

Honestly, the Animal Crossing villager would make for a better replacement.

As for the Smash Bros point. Like it or not, Mii's are a bigger part of Nintendo's history than the Inklings. They're the stars of one of the best selling games in recent history. They star in a lot of great games, (and quite a few clunkers).

Out of the three avatar attempts from the big three consoles. Mii's are the most recognizable. I could go on.

Edited by Glen-i

While I think Miis, if they stick around, should have more customisation (not least the clothing side of things), there's just something I find unappealing about the design of Inklings so I'm not keen on them either.

I would like the Miis to stick around but, as Ashley said, have more customization. I was hoping the stuff from Miitomo was going to carrying over to the Switch. There's a host of clothes and accessories on there.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Inklings design so I'd rather they kept Miis and just gave them more customisation options.

I like Miis and always felt despite their simplicity they were good at capturing a person's look and personality. I will be very disappointed if they don't implement Miitomo customisations in some way once the paid service launches. Otherwise it seems like a complete waste.

On another note, Tomodatchi Life was one of my most played 3DS games, it was unbelievably simple and a bit repetitive, but perfectly captured that Animal Crossing vibe where you really just wanted to drop 10-15 mins on it every day. Me and the missus had so much fun watching our friends fight and fall in love and have weird looking hybrid children which looked like their parents but managed to develop their own unique personalities. A sequel or more fully-featured Miitomo is definitely something I'd be interested in.

While I think Miis, if they stick around, should have more customisation (not least the clothing side of things)

Yes, i agree with this, while I do like the new customisation features the Switch Mii Maker brings, (So many shades of hair colour! And my Mii's eye colour is now the exact same as mine!) more clothing options would be nice.

It'd be even nicer if playing a game on your Switch lets you access a page on the eShop that lets you download a related shirt or hat or something. Maybe owning Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would let you wear the racing outfit the Mii's use (See below) on the Switch menu. Stuff like that.

(Looks at my avatar) Now I'm not biased at all but... I reckon that's a no...

I don't look like an Inkling, I look like my Mii! I'm the best video game character ever, therefore the Miis need to stay.

I don't look like an Inkling, I look like my Mii! I'm the best video game character ever, therefore the Miis need to stay.

No, you're not.

I like Mii's , they could just do with some more options as you guys have said. They've already done it with Miitomo and Tomodachi so they just need to port that stuff over.

They do look a bit /too/ basic sometimes, but with just a tiny bit of extra sheen (like the Nintendo Land versions) they look fine.

While I think Miis, if they stick around, should have more customisation (not least the clothing side of things), there's just something I find unappealing about the design of Inklings so I'm not keen on them either.

Ah man really? Inklings are literally the only characters designed by Nintendo that I genuinely think are awesome.

Ah man really? Inklings are literally the only characters designed by Nintendo that I genuinely think are awesome.

It's less about the art and more a personal thing. Just something about their pointy little faces doesn't gel with me.

If you look like your Mii, I think you should go to the doctor. (JK)

With the selection of "hair styles" and pants being made available for your Inklings, I don't see why we wouldn't be able to customize facial features in the future. And when that happens, I don't see why you couldn't make an Inkling that looks like you.

I personally find the Miis very bland and unappealing. And as mentioned before, I think that Nintendo want to move away from the bland image of yesteryear and embrace a new image.

The design of the Switch as well as the idea of left and right Joycons having different colours make me feel that Nintendo want to be seen as more colourful and edgy.

Wii Sports was the game that paved the way of the casual games of the Wii and Wii U. Splatoon on the other hand, at least to me, seems to be the game that paved the way for the lineup of the Switch, with games like Arms taking center stage.

This entire thread is however just for fun, as I don't believe Nintendo will have any avatar at all for the Switch. It doesn't feel like there's any point to it. All other formats allow players to have an image of their own choice as an avatar.

I'd rather this handsome Mii be my avatar than an Inkling... and I'd like my Switch's Mii to have the options that Miitomo does for customisation.

D447C531-2030-42E7-ACAC-05693E201CFE_zpsdcx5alnx.jpg

Edited by Kav

This entire thread is however just for fun, as I don't believe Nintendo will have any avatar at all for the Switch.

Wait, what? I'm confused.

Is my little Switch profile picture of my Mii doing a "Draw me like your French Girls" pose just a figment of my imagination?

I wish they would just centralise Miis. Why did I have to make a Mii on my Switch, didn't I make one on the Wii? On Miitomo? On the 3DS? Miitomo could effectively be the home of your account's avatar, that you customise and update the console version of yourself on the fly.

I wish they would just centralise Miis. Why did I have to make a Mii on my Switch, didn't I make one on the Wii? On Miitomo? On the 3DS? Miitomo could effectively be the home of your account's avatar, that you customise and update the console version of yourself on the fly.

This. I love Miis and would take them over Inklings anytime. Had a lot of fun with those guys in the Streetpass Mii Park on the 3DS. And I like dressing him up in Miitomo (talk about playing with yourself...). As an avatar they are great

But now link all that stuff together! I seriously thought they did so and was trying to find a way to get my Miitomo Mii to the Switch. Didn't find it, obviously. ;)

In case anyone doesn't know, if you've registered your Mii as the owner of any amiibo figure then you can use the data stored on it to copy your Mii to your Nintendo Switch console. :)

Sign in to follow this