NEurope
MindFreak

New Nintendo 2DS XL announced

Yeeaaaah, might not be able to resist that White+Orange...

And I have all the other 3DS(+2DS) models, so might as well get this one to finish the collection. :heh:

Limited edition version for Japan and @Ike. :D

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Well, no-one's ever gonna get one of those.

It'll be outta there as soon as you see one.

Little bit weird bringing out the 2DS XL now, but it sure does look good.

Little bit weird bringing out the 2DS XL now, but it sure does look good.

Actually, it's not that weird. Kimishima gave a talk at the investor's meeting this night and said:

We will strive to utilize the large installed base of the Nintendo 3DS family of systems in our business to maintain the momentum we have regained over the last year.

As we conveyed at the Corporate Management Policy Briefing in February, Nintendo 3DS has characteristics as a handheld system that differ from those of Nintendo Switch. We do not think that they compete directly in terms of price point or

playstyle. We will run businesses separately and in parallel.

We have also already stated that we think it is critical that we provide software unique to Nintendo 3DS in order to run both the Nintendo Switch business and the Nintendo 3DS business in parallel.

http://nintendoeverything.com/kimishima-says-3ds-and-switch-wont-compete-will-run-in-parallel-3ds-will-get-unique-software/

The Nintendo 3DS family of systems has spread steadily worldwide, surpassing a total sell-through of 63 million units of hardware. We will continue to work to make sure our business leverages this installed base by providing consumers with software.

With a multitude of titles already released, Nintendo 3DS has a large and fulfilling library. We believe that it is important that we channel these titles in our sales. Trends show that these evergreen titles continue to sell well in the long term, especially overseas. We want to encourage consumers who recently purchased hardware to purchase these

evergreen titles.

We will also continue providing new titles. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, the latest title in the Fire Emblem series, was released April 20 in Japan. It will release May 19 in the U.S. and Europe. On July 13, Ever Oasis, a new actionadventure RPG set in a world of desert, will be released. The same day, easy-to-play side-scroller

action Hey! Pikmin will be out on Nintendo 3DS as the first Pikmin game on a handheld system. This year is also Kirby’s 25th anniversary. We will be releasing the Kirby titles you see here.

Note: In the U.S. and Europe, Ever Oasis and will be released on June 23, and Hey! Pikmin will be released on July 28.

These are first-party games that were released by Nintendo in Japan and games developed and sold by publishers in Japan that will be distributed by Nintendo in the American and European markets.

This slide shows announced titles from third parties in Japan that will have already released as of April 2017 or that are planned for release through fall of this year. As you can see, we have a rich lineup of games planned for Japan again in this fiscal year.

Also, Square Enix recently announced that the latest entry in the Dragon Quest series, Dragon Quest XI: Sugisarishi Toki o Motomete, will be released in Japan in July, around the time of the launch of New Nintendo 2DS XL. In this way, we are working to maintain momentum in the Nintendo 3DS business by introducing new titles and continuing to offer evergreen titles while launching New Nintendo 2DS XL to expand the available selection of hardware in the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

http://nintendoeverything.com/kimishima-on-evergreen-3ds-titles-new-games-will-continue-to-be-released/

It is indeed their intention that 3DS and Switch will run alongside each other.

What is the smiley splat thing on that limited edition one?

What is the smiley splat thing on that limited edition one?

Kimishima's face when someone suggested the name 'new Nintendo 2DS XL'.

Looks cool but aren't the Switch and this basically targeting the same customers?

Looks cool but aren't the Switch and this basically targeting the same customers?

The Switch is twice as expensive, so I'd say no. That's probably the biggest reason why they have to keep the 3DS alive, til they either find a way to make a waaay cheaper Switch model or make a proper 3DS successor.

Just because I made it for the site's tweet, enjoy this gif:

giphy.gif

The Switch is twice as expensive, so I'd say no. That's probably the biggest reason why they have to keep the 3DS alive, til they either find a way to make a waaay cheaper Switch model or make a proper 3DS successor.

Do they need to find a way to make it way cheaper? PS4 has sold gangbusters ever since it released at the more expensive price of 350 quid. I think it's more software than price that is stopping people jumping right now.

I'd also say they're targeting the same people. Even though this new 2DS is half the price, that doesn't mean people who would buy this couldn't also afford a Switch. But I do think that anyone buying this might then not pick up a Switch until later down the line.

This does actually make a lot of sense - the final and best form of the 3DS. Clamshell, XL and without stereoscopic 3D (ie. keep the costs down). Not sure I can really justify one, but I'm somewhat tempted for SNES VC and the two huge games down the line (Etrian Odyssey V and Dragon Quest XI, even though it'll probably only be the latter that uses dual analogue).

Just goes to show, it's even more proof that Switch - though a hybrid - is absolutely to replace the Wii U, and we can look forward to another dedicated handheld down the line.

Just goes to show, it's even more proof that Switch - though a hybrid - is absolutely to replace the Wii U, and we can look forward to another dedicated handheld down the line.

I don't see any point to that. For one, Switch is first and foremost a handheld console. Second, they'd then be splitting their development teams across two systems again and potentially halving their output for each.

Seems more like to me that they're trying to squeeze the last pennies out of people before it's dropped I'm sure the GBA Micro came out quite close to the end of its life too.

Personally, I think the sooner they drop the 3DS brand the better for everyone.

I wonder if this will be able to play xendoblade chronicles 3d? It seems to be more of a new 3ds but without the 3d screen, so maybe this has the increased power too?

I wonder if this will be able to play xendoblade chronicles 3d? It seems to be more of a new 3ds but without the 3d screen, so maybe this has the increased power too?

It has the (New) branding, so it will do.

Since I've almost always had the 3D functionality turned off on my 3DS, this looks like a really cool machine. It looks really nice, although I'm not sure it looks modern enough.

It should be thinner and the ring of plastic on the lid should've been aluminium IMO.

I'm tempted by it but not sure if there are enough New 3DS exclusives for it to be worthwhile and I can always play Xenoblade on the Wii.

What's the backwards compatibility like on these? I've actually kind of lost track of the generations of DSs. Can this play DS games?

What's the backwards compatibility like on these? I've actually kind of lost track of the generations of DSs. Can this play DS games?

Yes, you can.

You can even play Japanese DS games.

Yes, you can.

You can even play Japanese DS games.

You can play Japanese DS games on any DS/DSi/2DS/3DS.

I really don't understand why they're releasing this. Who are they aiming it at?

Pre-ordered the blue and black one. I really like the white and orange too!

Well, if there's a Nintendo device I will buy next year it's going to be this.

My desire to get a Switch has gone from almost non-existent to vanished completely. ::shrug:

Do they need to find a way to make it way cheaper? PS4 has sold gangbusters ever since it released at the more expensive price of 350 quid. I think it's more software than price that is stopping people jumping right now.

I'd also say they're targeting the same people. Even though this new 2DS is half the price, that doesn't mean people who would buy this couldn't also afford a Switch. But I do think that anyone buying this might then not pick up a Switch until later down the line.

Well, Reggie seems to agree with me, at least. :heh:

"Reggie on what separates 3DS and Switch, says price will influence purchasing decision"