NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Puyo Puyo Tetris

PS_NSwitch_PuyoPuyoTetris_PEGI.jpg

Nintendo Life - 8/10

Puyo Puyo Tetris is almost like three games in one. You get two classic puzzle games as well as a fascinating amalgamation of the two. There's no shortage of modes, and the offerings make for a game well suited to both newcomers and old pros.

Support for all of the Switch's various control options, with the exception of the console's touch screen, good online play as well as up to four player local multiplayer make Puyo Puyo Tetris a no-brainer for Switch-owning puzzle fans out there. Even if you aren't exactly crazy about puzzlers, the pick-up-and-play nature of this title makes it worth a look if you're taking your Switch on the go.

IGN - 8.7/10

The beautifully presented Puyo Puyo Tetris has a ton of content, a really fun multiplayer with a lot of variations, and is very easy to pick up and play with just about anyone despite the slight balance issues. The Nintendo Switch is a great platform for it too, with its portability and non-threatening Joy-Con controllers. This is the type of game that offers an adequate challenge for even the most hardcore puzzle players with its Challenge modes, but is inviting for even the smallest of children and gaming newbies.

Nintendo World Report

Puyo Puyo Tetris makes its way to Nintendo Switch in spectacular fashion. With the best multiplayer options out of the box, this puzzler can't be missed for anyone in the need of fun. The solid amount of modes make that quick go enticing, intriguing and above all entertaining. Back when I reviewed it on the Nintendo 3DS, my complaint of the solo modes did hamper my experience somewhat. The Switch alleviates those concerns since the multiplayer is so easy to get running. It helps that it is a colorful and bright adventure that triggers the senses and just makes you smile. Puyo Puyo Tetris is, without a doubt, one of the best games currently available on the Switch. Don’t miss out!

Destructoid - 9.5/10

Although I haven't tested the PS4 version yet, it's very clear that the Switch is the way to go. You're literally getting on-the-go network play at your fingertips when traveling, the touchscreen makes menus even easier to flip through, and the ability to set the tabletop up and get four people going instantly is an amazing party trick. It's strangely more expensive on Switch if you're going physical (a victim of the dreaded cart markup theory perhaps?), but worth the plunge.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is one of the best puzzle games I've ever played, not just because it's based on two mechanically sound, battle-tested puzzle philosophies, but because it goes all out and doesn't leave any room for an "extended edition." It might not be the pinnacle of either, but it's the best mix I didn't know I wanted. Grab it, take it on the go, and preach the gospel of Puyo Puyo.

I couldn't find a thread for this so I figured I would create one, seeing as a few of you guys will no doubt be buying and playing it this weekend. The thread will also come in handy for those wanting to play online together.

Definitely picking this up on Thursday, who's up for some multiplayer in the evening?

I've been waiting for 2 and a half years for this game. You bet your sweet puyo that I'm getting this on Friday! :D

I've been waiting for 2 and a half years for this game. You bet your sweet puyo that I'm getting this on Friday! :D

Great! I suck at Tetris and I utterly blow at Puyo Puyo.

You guys are going to see magical things if you play me online.

I will make the impossible happen.

Suckage and Blowage simultaneously!

Am I missing something here? Why is there so much hype about a simple puzzle game?

Dare I say is it because there are basically no other games other than Mario Kart due out for ages?

Am I missing something here? Why is there so much hype about a simple puzzle game?

Dare I say is it because there are basically no other games other than Mario Kart due out for ages?

No its just a fun game. There's been a lot of hype for a while, nothing to do with it being on Switch. Quite a few gamers imported it last year, maybe the year before (I cant remember which).

I have never understood the love for Tetris. I am completely shit at it, so that could be why. :heh:

I downloaded the demo and it appears I am still just as shit and still don't particularly like the game all that much...!

Yeah, this game rocks for Multiplayer. And I've only played 2-player with @Dcubed. I've not won yet.

And I learned that I suck more at Puyo Puyo than I do at Tetris. which is impressive.

Fusion mode is hella weird though. That'll take some practice.

Anyone fancy online tonight some time?

Anyone fancy online tonight some time?

Yes, I can play anytime from whenever until... 11:30PM or so? :)

I've just got to unseal my Switch copy of the game... :D

...the PS4 copy will probably stay sealed in the PS4 Tower until someone challenges me to multiplayer on that platform. ;)

I was planning on getting this tonight but £34.99 is just too much in comparison to the PS4. Shame as I liked the idea of being able to play it handheld.

Yes, I can play anytime from whenever until... 11:30PM or so? :)

I've just got to unseal my Switch copy of the game... :D

...the PS4 copy will probably stay sealed in the PS4 Tower until someone challenges me to multiplayer on that platform. ;)

Great, @Dcubed said he'd play as well.

So, because I'll be using @Ugh first aid's Switch, it'd be great if @Dcubed hosted, as I don't think she has added you yet.

Great, @Dcubed said he'd play as well.

So, because I'll be using @Ugh first aid's Switch, it'd be great if @Dcubed hosted, as I don't think she has added you yet.

Ready whenever you are, I'll be playing Single Player until then. :)

Ready whenever you are, I'll be playing Single Player until then. :)

In that case, how about 10:30 ish?

I'll get DCubed to set up a room.

In that case, how about 10:30 ish?

I'll get DCubed to set up a room.

10:30 ish? But that's the time now... that's ludicrous!

There's only one way to settle this, and that's to BATTLE! ;)

10:30 ish? But that's the time now... that's ludicrous!

There's only one way to settle this, and that's to BATTLE! ;)

We're in a room now. Sorry for the wait.

Go to Free Play, choose DCubed and enter a strangely familiar password.

It's 4444

Thanks for the games. :)

Or should that be... thanks for DESTROYING me @Glen\-i it seemed that we were both doing pretty well at certain points in the matches but alas... to no avail, Dean still reigns supreme at Puyo Puyo Tetris it seems. ::shrug:

I clearly need to, git gud and fast! :p

Thanks for the games. :)

Or should that be... thanks for DESTROYING me @Glen\-i it seemed that we were both doing pretty well at certain points in the matches but alas... to no avail, Dean still reigns supreme at Puyo Puyo Tetris it seems. ::shrug:

I clearly need to, git gud and fast! :p

He is kinda completely mental at puzzle games. His sis is pretty close to him as well. I basically win whenever he messes up.

But that last match was nutso. Normally, I'm psyched to get a Tetris. But doing that after he got a double Tetris, so I mitigate it and both of ours gets dumped on you felt particularly mean.

Would do it again in a heartbeat.

If anyone is up for some matches tomorrow or over the weekend, I'll be up for that. (Although with Mario Kart out...)

I have never understood the love for Tetris. I am completely shit at it, so that could be why. :heh:

I downloaded the demo and it appears I am still just as shit and still don't particularly like the game all that much...!

I've never been particularly fond of puzzle games but Tetris isn't too bad as the premise is simple and it's very accessible. I haven't really played it since back on the Game Boy, though, and honestly don't have much interest in doing so!

I downloaded the demo for this a couple of weeks ago just because it was there but only played it for a couple of minutes which was enough time to confirm that I really couldn't be bothered with it :red:

In games like Puyo Puyo, I'm no good at thinking ahead and setting up combos, especially at pace :heh:

I'm not a puzzle fan at all but decided to have a go at the demo last night. Ended up playing the demo again on my commute into work. Wow, I am really enjoying it depsite being super shit. I just can't get the combos going so I drown in those grey bricks.

Tempted to buy the full release. I think it would be a good game to play on and off.

I'm not a puzzle fan at all but decided to have a go at the demo last night. Ended up playing the demo again on my commute into work. Wow, I am really enjoying it depsite being super shit. I just can't get the combos going so I drown in those grey bricks.

Tempted to buy the full release. I think it would be a good game to play on and off.

There's a lesson mode in the full game that shows you some tricks to get combos.

Also, @S\.C\.G and I still had fun despite @Dcubed destroying us all the time.

I ended up buying it. It will probably be the game I play now and again throughout the lifetime of the Switch.

Sign in to follow this