NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

General Election 2017 - MJ popcorn gif edition

The constituency I live in (Warwick & Leamington) is historically a Tory stronghold, it was Conservative for 87-years from 1910 to 1997 when Labour took it as part of their near clean sweep. Since 2010 it's been back to Conservative but I have a good feeling that Labour could spring a surprise. Granted I can't venture very far from my house but I've seen more Vote Labour signs in my neighbourhood than I've seen before and my Dad, who has lived here all his life, says he's never seen so many Labour posters and signs around. I know that @130131301364 (curse you for your nonsense username) lives in the same constituency, have you seen a lot of Labour signs up in people's windows and gardens?

Ain't nothing wrong with my username. Just a simple 12 digit friend code.

I have actually seen loads of Labour signs and posters, more than for any other election, but I'm not sure it means anything. It's just a very vocal minority I reckon, and the Tory voters will come out in droves on the 8th.

I've been waiting a long time to hear a leader speak some sense during these campaigns but Corbyn's right on the money with this:

DBZqRTjXUAYb92M.jpg:large

A useful policy breakdown as well:

DBac7fhXsAAYu0z.jpg:large

I've been waiting a long time to hear a leader speak some sense during these campaigns but Corbyn's right on the money with this:

A useful policy breakdown as well:

DBac7fhXsAAYu0z.jpg:large

I never liked Goldeneye on N64. Does that mean I have to vote UKIP now.............

:bowdown:

I read that in his voice and it just killed me. Brilliant.

I fucking love Bloodborne.

[tweet]871682620110905344[/tweet]

This move could well go against him, but I love the fight Corbyn is showing, he's showing who is really Strong & Stable!

As much as I dislike Teresa May, reducing funding to public services is basically the second point on the Conservative checklist after 'cut taxes'. It's what people voted for when they elected them in 2015, so she should hardly resign be cause of it.

The Corbyn election memes are too much. Some context before the first one though (Alan Partridge-esque Tory campaign video):

DBJSM4cXUAAifUh.jpg:large

And new Cassetteboy if you hadn't seen it already:

This is what will keep the Tories in power...

[tweet]872384722802003972[/tweet]

UKIP don't want a Labour government at all costs so they'll let the Tories have a free ride.

Vote Conservative, get UKIP!

Edited by Kav

I've come to the depressing realisation that as long as the powers behind The Sun, The Mail and the Express etc back the Conservatives, they will win.

You just can't fight again such a large, powerful media who aren't ashamed to just lie about whatever they please to get the result they want.

It's so depressing.

Blair was so successful largely because he pandered to Murdoch. It is depressing.

I've come to the depressing realisation that as long as the powers behind The Sun, The Mail and the Express etc back the Conservatives, they will win.

You just can't fight again such a large, powerful media who aren't ashamed to just lie about whatever they please to get the result they want.

It's so depressing.

There are other newspapers out there but when you have the Scottish Sun supporting the SNP with the Sun supporting the Conservatives, it's really just a two pronged attack on anyone else who gets in the way.

Blair was so successful largely because he pandered to Murdoch. It is depressing.

Print media was a lot stronger 20 years ago so yes the Murdoch effect was there but Tony Blair was a modernist/reformer and largely a centrist who appealed not just to Labour voters to disaffected Tories. People who would never have voted for Labour before saw a clean cut politician, someone they thought was a million miles away from the Labour party in the early 80's. Blair knew that he needed them in order to win back in 97. Had Blair not gone into that stupid and senseless war I think history might have looked at him differently.

Edited by sumo73

The thought of the Tories winning tomorrow turns my stomach. They've been in power for almost a decade; national debt has gone up, inequality has increased massively, the housing market is a mess, wages have stagnated, terrorism is becoming a regular occurrence, the NHS is underfunded, and the police are underfunded.

And people will vote Tory, for what? Because a set of fucking media outlets repeated a mantra that Jeremy Corbyn is unelectable without any sound reasoning. It is nothing but an injustice.

The thought of the Tories winning tomorrow turns my stomach. They've been in power for almost a decade; national debt has gone up, inequality has increased massively, the housing market is a mess, wages have stagnated, terrorism is becoming a regular occurrence, the NHS is underfunded, and the police are underfunded.

And people will vote Tory, for what? Because a set of fucking media outlets repeated a mantra that Jeremy Corbyn is unelectable without any sound reasoning. It is nothing but an injustice.

But remember when the Tories get in, they can sort out the mess that Labour left them 7 years ago.

Please ignore the first 5 years. They don't count. The Lib Dems were holding them back.

Also please ignore the last 2 years. They were all about Brexit.

Also, you can discount the next 2 years, also because of Brexit.

In 2019, that is when they will start tackling Labours mess!

So I totally haven't been on the forum much lately(soon to be rectified hopefully) but anyone who has me on fb will know from both Brexit and since I've been quite vocal about various parties there.

However today I've opted to make a post for the non-voters which I'm copying and pasting here along with the link(it's public). You don't have to agree with it(and sure, it's my own thoughts with probably gaps) but if you do I'd ask you share it about. As much as I don't want more conservative votes - I'd take them if it means engaging those who don't vote at all.

Right. Non-voters this is just for you. I'm not going to tell you who to vote for, but I am going to tell you a reason your vote still counts and is very important.

34% - an entire THIRD of registered voters - did NOT vote in 2015. Absolutely eligible to have a say in the country's future - yet a third of us didn't even seem to care. So to you I say;

If you're not voting because you think your vote doesn't count - you are incredibly wrong. Yes the current system of First Past The Post(FPTP) is not wholly representative and broken and whilst you think a vote for your fringe party, greens, ukip, lib Dems etc might count for shit in this election(as it well might not on seats) it really counts for things BEYOND the election, as the country keeps on running afterwards. This applies equally to not voting because you can't find a party you agree with. You can still vote - go and spoil your ballot purposefully - they're still counted.

If a seat is lost by just a 100 vote margin against say a 10,000 vote margin - do you think no one will notice? The MPs and parties will adjust to garner support and widen those margins - in theory acting better in your own interests - so even if you vote someone who doesn't get in, it is still of your benefit to vote. If there is a significant proportion of spoilt ballots - politicians will take notice.

If the 34% who didn't vote started to turnout and vote - and muddied the absolute vote numbers(either with spoiled ballots or just split votes) - we are in a much better position for voting reform to help your vote count for EVEN MORE in the future. The opposition to FPTP can use those votes, even though they didn't translate into seats neccessarily, to strengthen their argument.

If you're in doubt - look at the ratio of votes Vs seats for both Greens and Ukip at the 2015 election. Those numbers highlighted a great imbalance in our system that needs to change - the further this is highlighted the better it is for all of us in the long run.

Link to the public post - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=708063395832&id=271100470

Edited by Rummy

I was undecided on who is was going to vote for this time around, with a toss up between Labour and the Lib Dems, but think I've now made my decision. So I'll be voting tomorrow up here in Scotland knowing that my vote will do sod all in the grand scheme of things but I hope that people have sense up here and don't all go out and vote SNP in what I'm seeing so many friends on Facebook say is tactical voting against the Tories, yet they don't realise that voting that way won't get rid of the Tories or May as that takes potential seats from Labour that would actually influence the overall results (and that's before thinking about how SNP MPs were blocked from voting on some issues at Westminster by the Tories and that they as a party have royally screwed up many towns and cities across Scotland (Dundee where I am has been hard hit yet still staunchly SNP)).

I don't see the end result being any different than what we have at the moment but I do hope May's majority is cut and/or we have a hung parliament as that is what I see as being the most realistic and plausible outcome tomorrow (though I hope for a Labour win).

This is what will keep the Tories in power...

[tweet]872384722802003972[/tweet]

UKIP don't want a Labour government at all costs so they'll let the Tories have a free ride.

Vote Conservative, get UKIP!

There is a greater chance that they'll vote Tory, but perhaps Labour committing to leaving the EU might swing some of the more 'moderate' UKIPers (after all, some of their members voted Remain for some reason), particularly if they are more concerned about something like the NHS or education at the expense of a hard Brexit.

Yeah UKIP actually had a mixture of Tory and Labour supporters. More so now they've tried to rebrand themselves as the party that supports working British people.

Print media was a lot stronger 20 years ago

Good point. What I was trying to say was that he had to make some compromises like cutting corp tax to get Murdoch onside (maybe they were compromises for the party rather than his neoliberal brand of politics).

Pretty much word. I think there are some legitimate criticisms of him as far as leadership is concerned - messaging/PR wasn't always clear, he didn't play the political game enough (I get that this is his appeal, but little things like dressing scruffily and not singing the national anthem turn more people away than it does win them over) and sometimes his incompetence has undermined policy announcements e.g. doing shadow cabinet reshuffles when the party was announcing rail transport plans, which meant the plans failed to gain traction in the media. All of these things in the grand scheme are negligible though when it comes to his actual vision for our country's future.

What is certainly true is that he has managed to politicise a huge number of young people who were previously uninterested in politics. He's given them (including me) hope, an understanding that there's a real alternative to the status quo. His legacy will last beyond this election campaign, and he's only served 2 years as leader. I've been amazed at his campaign so far, he's truly turned things around and brushed up on his image. He's finally conceded some of his ideals to appease the PLP, when before he was obstinate, but he hasn't compromised too much. He's achieved so much in a short space of time.

<3 Corbyn.

Definitely going to be voting Lib Dem tomorrow, if reluctantly. I'd rather vote Green but Lib Dems have got the best chance against our conservative MP (who has literally never ever voted against the party line). Corbyn would never be my first choice for PM but I at least trust him to not break into my house while I sleep and steal my kidneys. I am worried there's gonna be a Labour/Lib Dem vote split that'll let her carry on, lot of both posters up. Ah well, hopefully Greens will take IoW.

Best possible scenario tomorrow: Lib Dems take Portsmouth South, Greens take IoW, May with a majority of 40 or less. I'd love it if the polls suggesting a hung parliament were right but I'm bracing for bad news and preparing my self-medication.

Sadly haven't had much time to post about this election/campaign at all, but thought I should post something on my Facebook the night before the election. It certainly drew out some of the (thankfully few) Tories on my friends list...

I haven't had much time to be political on Facebook for this election due to being in Dubai for most of the campaign and extremely busy with work since my return, so haven't had time to campaign as I would've liked to. It'd be wrong if I didn't take the opportunity to share my views ahead of tomorrow, though.

Vote Labour. The manifesto is one that cares. One that is looking out for the 95%, not the 5% at the top. One that will protect our NHS. One that will protect our schools. One that won't dismantle our human rights. One that won't victimise the needy. One that won't cut our police service.

Lots of people say Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser. They don't like him because he doesn't want to use a nuclear weapon. How is that a bad thing? Why kill millions of innocent people in retaliation? He doesn't want to kill people. He wants peaceful solutions. Remember, how the Good Friday agreement came about? Talking to the IRA. Not by blowing them off the face of the planet. Anyway, Theresa May's government sells weapons to Saudi Arabia, who it is openly known fund and supply terrorist organisations.

I'm not a fan of the fact Brexit is going to go ahead, but I trust Jeremy Corbyn, a man who is willing to talk, and listen, and seems like he cares about the people of this country, to get us an amicable deal more than Theresa May, someone who won't face a debate to prove she's the one to lead our country, and struggles when she meets a member of the public. Someone who won't be interviewed by the press, won't answer questions, and just replies to everything with "strong and stable" "coalition of chaos" and "magic money tree".

Lots of you may say your votes are wasted. That is true. Our political system gives the power to a handful of swing seats. But this will never change if you don't vote. Have your say. If you don't know which party matches your views, read the manifestos. Take a quiz online that will tell you who you align most with. Vote not just for who will benefit you most, but for all - those less fortunate that need the help. Vote with compassion.

It's still likely the Tories will have a majority or at least be the largest party in a hung parliament. But you never know. I've been so impressed by the campaign by Corbyn in the face of adversity from the press and even his own party. I'm hopeful.

I could go on forever. And if you disagree with me, I'm happy to debate. But please, vote Labour. Or if you're in a Con/Lib Dem marginal, vote Lib Dem!

Like @Rummy, providing the public link for if you fancy a look at the comments!

I'm going to have a look through as many political party manifestos as I can before I vote tomorrow but I pretty much know who I am going to vote for. I'm voting in part for the ethos of the party, what it's supposed to be and stand for rather than some of things I've heard from their supporters and even MPs.

I've spoken to others who will vote differently tomorrow. I respect their choices and do understand why they are voting differently from me. One of the problems in politics is that we often just surround ourselves in an echo chamber thereby not understanding why people think in other ways.

I was disappointed with the result in 2015 so maybe we have chance to change things, I hope so. Regardless of whoever we vote on 8th June, I hope as many people gets their voices heard.

Exit polls show that a hung parliament is a huge possibility. Conservatives on 314 and need 326.

May has fucked up!