NEurope
Hogge

Third party AAA games on Switch - A lost cause?

Personally, I don't think that AAA third party games (CoD, Battlefield, etc.) are required for the Switch to be considered, by the majority, a success: in fact, only 4 of the 20 highest selling games on Wii (figures accurate as of April 2009) weren't published by Nintendo themselves. These 4 games were either experiences designed uniquely for the Wii or ports of pre-existing games, and I think that for any third party to be successful on the Switch, a similar approach will be required, and has already been adopted by certain developers (Project Octopath Traveller by Square Enix and Skyrim by Bethesda, respectively, for example).

That being said, if typical AAA third party games aren't coming to the console, a steady influx of AAA first and second party games, along with many independent titles, will be required to grow interest in the console and appease fans of the console, and this is an approach that we have already seen be adopted by Nintendo in regards to this console.

I think the big questions come when we learn of their plans for 2018. Fans will be expecting many of Nintendo's greatest IPs to be announced to be coming to the Switch, such as Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby and so on, and a plethora of Wii U ports could certainly help fill the gaps, as could more titles coming to Virtual Console (Pokémon Gold/Silver? Mother 3?).

They need to show what they've learned from their errors with the Wii U, and from what we've seen so far of their scheduled releases, I think they're well on their way to having the game support required to make this console a success, regardless of whether typical AAA third party games make their way over anytime soon (personally, I think ports could be the way to go in helping fix/build N's relations with third parties and be a smart way for third parties to sell more copies of pre-existing games).

Edited by Julius Caesar

These 4 games were either experiences designed uniquely for the Wii or ports of pre-existing games

What else could they be?

What else could they be?

Aha, my bad :red: what I had meant to explain was that they weren't AAA third party titles, and that the port (GHIII) was based on the version of the game from the previous generation and was the only one released across all platforms

No doubt EA don't want to leave that money on the table.

http://gamingbolt.com/ea-is-excited-...-to-the-system

speaking to investors in a financial call, EA CEO Andrew Wilson noted that the company is now very bullish on the Nintendo Switch, expressing excitement for it bringing an entirely new ecosystem into the fold.

He noted that EA is considering bringing more of its games to the system, in addition to the previously announced FIFA 18

Raymond L. Stochel - Consumer Edge Research LLC

Great. Thanks for taking the question. How are you guys thinking now about the Nintendo Switch post launch? And is this in your new Gen console installed base forecast? Thanks.

Andrew P. Wilson - Electronic Arts, Inc.

So we feel really good about it. Again, we came out early and said that we'll be supporting the Nintendo Switch with our biggest title in FIFA. We have a tremendous relationship with Nintendo and have done for many, many years and are excited by the fact that they have come out very strong and are bringing in a whole new player base into the ecosystem.

We continue to be bullish on it and are looking at other titles that we might bring to the Switch. Our console number that we quoted does not include the Switch at this point, so anything that Nintendo does is additive to that number.

http://www.seekingalpha.com/article/4071402

Daniel Ahmad‏ @ZhugeEX 1 h1 ora fa

EA seems to view Switch as separate from PS4 & XB1 according to what Andrew said. 'Bringing in a new/different audience' was the phrase used.

Quotes like that make me worry. Shovelwear here we come.

Edited by liger05

No doubt EA don't want to leave that money on the table.

http://gamingbolt.com/ea-is-excited-...-to-the-system

http://www.seekingalpha.com/article/4071402

Daniel Ahmad‏ @ZhugeEX 1 h1 ora fa

EA seems to view Switch as separate from PS4 & XB1 according to what Andrew said. 'Bringing in a new/different audience' was the phrase used.

Quotes like that make me worry.

From the looks of it they are still looking to see how things pan out.

EA make a killing on the other consoles, so it's not exactly like they need to push something out on to a Nintendo console, especially if their engines aren't easily ported to the Switch.

I can't wait for E3. Nintendo's event should be really telling just how much the big 3rd parties are going to back the Switch.

Yesterday, Tom backed up the rumours about the newest AC game not arriving on the Switch.

[TWEET]861978190507540480[/TWEET]

The Switch really does look like it's going to miss out on all of the big multiplatform 3rd party releases for the end of the year. Call of Duty:WW2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Battlefront 2, Assassins Creed and Destiny 2 all look to be skipping the console.

From the looks of it they are still looking to see how things pan out.

EA make a killing on the other consoles, so it's not exactly like they need to push something out on to a Nintendo console, especially if their engines aren't easily ported to the Switch.

I can't wait for E3. Nintendo's event should be really telling just how much the big 3rd parties are going to back the Switch.

Yesterday, Tom backed up the rumours about the newest AC game not arriving on the Switch.

[TWEET]861978190507540480[/TWEET]

The Switch really does look like it's going to miss out on all of the big multiplatform 3rd party releases for the end of the year. Call of Duty:WW2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Battlefront 2, Assassins Creed and Destiny 2 all look to be skipping the console.

If the platform keeps selling investors will keep asking why no software. I have no doubt EA will get software on the switch if the platform is successful. What kind of software is the key question?

If the platform keeps selling investors will keep asking why no software. I have no doubt EA will get software on the switch if the platform is successful. What kind of software is the key question?

I still think they should have put Garden Warfare 2 on the Switch. The game would have fit the Nintendo audience quite nicely.

Third parties sometimes make the least sense.

I still don't understand why Tembo the Badass Elephant skipped Wii U. It'd have done well on that ecosystem, instead it bombed badly on the other platforms.

Game Freak said their asinine reason, but my money is on it being a Sega decision.

I still think they should have put Garden Warfare 2 on the Switch. The game would have fit the Nintendo audience quite nicely.

Yes that seems like a no brainer. Unravel should get ported as well.

Third parties sometimes make the least sense.

I still don't understand why Tembo the Badass Elephant skipped Wii U. It'd have done well on that ecosystem, instead it bombed badly on the other platforms.

Game Freak said their asinine reason, but my money is on it being a Sega decision.

What was the reason GF gave?

What was the reason GF gave?

They designed the poster and didn't put it on, then thought the poster looked good as is.

The Wii U logo was balls so it's understandable :p

The poster thing is fairly common. A lot of Japanese games don't come to the west as they just can't get the materials to look right with the PEGI or ESRB logos.

Third parties sometimes make the least sense...

No way, Nintendo always make the least sense!

No way, Nintendo always make the least sense!

This guy. If you ever start to believe Serebii's post, just listen to this guy.

Madden 18 not announced for switch. Really thought EA would put Madden back on a Nintendo console this year. Looks like it not happening though.

Rugby League live 4 only announced for PS4/Xbox One also.

I thought EA were mandated to put madden on every platform. Obviously not.

Let's hope they don't release something silly like this.

91GggDNJW%2BL._AC_UL320_SR234,320_.jpg

Edited by liger05

Madden 18 not announced for switch. Really thought EA would put Madden back on a Nintendo console this year. Looks like it not happening though.

Rugby League live 4 only announced for PS4/Xbox One also.

The new Madden game is using Frostbite. EA would have to get that engine up and running on a Switch. Maybe it's not worth their time?

Really can't wait to see how much effort they put into FIFA. If it doesn't have FUT then they may as well not bother with it.

The new Madden game is using Frostbite. EA would have to get that engine up and running on a Switch. Maybe it's not worth their time?

Really can't wait to see how much effort they put into FIFA. If it doesn't have FUT then they may as well not bother with it.

I think fifa will actually still probably sell ok simply cos of the portable factor. However once E3 hits and they announce fifa and its new features and gameplay I don't expect those to apply to the switch version.

Yeah that does kinda give off the image that EA haven't developed the engine for switch yet.

Doesn't that confirm FIFA will be port of the 360/PS3 game.

Edited by khilafah

Yeah that does kinda give off the image that EA haven't developed the engine for switch yet.

Doesn't that confirm FIFA will be port of the 360/PS4 game.

Possibly. I could be wrong but I think FIFA started using Frostbite last year on the PS4/One and the lesser versions were still using the Ignite engine.

Ubisoft have said: "We have new games on Switch. One new game not announced. One or two others as well".

Ubisoft I think have

Just Dance

Steep

Monopoly

Rayman

And an unannounced title? The Mario/Rabbids game?

Not great is it.

Ubisoft have said: "We have new games on Switch. One new game not announced. One or two others as well".

Ubisoft I think have

Just Dance

Steep

Monopoly

Rayman

And an unannounced title? The Mario/Rabbids game?

Not great is it.

Ubisoft have outlined how they will operate going forward. Less games and more concentrating on games as a service, with updates and DLC being the main way to keep players engaged. I can't see the likes of The Crew 2 and Far Cry 5 making its way to the Switch.