NEurope
Hogge

Third party AAA games on Switch - A lost cause?

Yeah that's fair enough, but if you play the game or see it in motion, there's really no opportunity to see the goonery and hijinks as being capable of having an effect on real life behaviour. Definitely firearms though. But then you can look at the opening of the Dark Knight, think it's super stylish and cool, and see how that could be a fun setup for a coop game with friends without identifying or valorising the bad guys, right?

Oh yeah, you could definitely think the opening of The Dark Knight is cool and want to make a game based on it. In fact, it's almost certainly how this happened. It's a matter of taste, and some people are more drawn towards crime fiction than others.

I think we've got crossed wires a bit, as I wasn't coming at this from a "Ban this, it will influence behaviour" viewpoint (that's an extremely complicated debate - probably best for another time). I guess I was just a bit exasperated that Hogge took a lack of interest in this as a lack of support for 3rd-party games. For the record, I do think there's a lot of multi-format stuff Nintendo-only gamers would be go for - I point out particularly the interest in Dragon Quest XI.

For me it's quite simple.

Am I interested in Non-Nintendo games on the Switch? Hellayeah! Even though I have a PS4, I'd like to see more third party support. Lego City, Minecraft, Skyrim on the go? Eat that, PS4! So what you have Persona 5? Ha! That's... actually a great game. Not on Switch, though, so on PS4 it is.

Payday 2? Didn't interest me before, still don't care for it now. It's not exactly the pinnacle of third party games to begin with. Ultra SF2, Skyrim, Disgaea, Xenoblade and others on the other hand... Now those are games I'm more than willing to talk about!

So it's not indifference to third parties. It's indifference to Payday 2.

And, let's be honest. Best games on a Nintendo platform are usually Nintendo-games.

Looks like Tekken won't be hitting the Switch anytime soon.

Also in our interview, Harada talked about the possibility of Tekken 7 coming to Nintendo Switch. Don't expect that to happen. Harada and producer Michael Murray, who translated the interview, have not even been able to get their hands on a Switch as of yet.

"Officially, we can't really comment on that because our company has strict policy about which titles we talk about for Switch," Harada explained. "But personally, we've been so busy with trying to master up Tekken for the current platforms that we haven't really had enough time to study the hardware. We couldn't even buy it--it was sold out every time we went to look for it."

What is the point of hori releasing the arcade stick? Wouldn't be surprised if that is cancelled also.

The switch has one new fighting game set for release. No tekken 7 no injustice 2, no marvel vs Capcom 4.

Hori would be crazy to release that stick.

Sucks for switch owners. Really wanted to play Tekken on the go. Lucky I can get PS4 version.

What is the point of hori releasing the arcade stick? Wouldn't be surprised if that is cancelled also.

The switch has one new fighting game set for release. No tekken 7 no injustice 2, no marvel vs Capcom 4.

Sucks for switch owners. Really wanted to play Tekken on the go. Lucky I can get PS4 version.

The arcade stick is strange. Do they expect people to buy one to play neo Geo classics?

That stick will lose a ton of money.

I just don't understand this. We're they not given dev kits?

Isn't the real reason Tekken Tag bombed on wii u and it's not worth there effort again?

Also injustice bombed on wii u so is it that surprising the next games are not released?

Edited by liger05
Automerged Doublepost

If you believe Amazon leaks then it looks like Darksiders III won't be getting a switch release.

Well, that's not entirely true. I believe I saw both BlazBlue and Skullgirls get confirmed.

Also, according to this list, Tekken x Street Fighter is going to get a Switch version.

Edited by Hogge

Well, that's not entirely true. I believe I saw both BlazBlue and Skullgirls get confirmed.

Also, according to this list, Tekken x Street Fighter is going to get a Switch version.

When was that confirmed? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

When was that confirmed? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

Blazblue was confirmed on one of the Japanese Switch slides.

thirdpartyswitch.png?resize=622%2C337

Skullgirls developer has only said they are investigating the possibility of a Switch release.

Tekken X Streetfighter went through some kind of development hell and nothing substantial has been seen of it for years. It was supposed to come out during the PS3/360 era. Last year Harada said the game was on hold. It would be a nice surprise to see it rise from it's grave as a Switch exclusive fighter, especially seeing as it's missing out on SFV and Tekken 7.

Emily Rodgers tweeted that Assassin’s Creed Empire is not coming to Switch.

See what Ubisoft come up with at E3 in regard to switch.

Emily Rodgers tweeted that Assassin’s Creed Empire is not coming to Switch.

See what Ubisoft come up with at E3 in regard to switch.

Looks like this is what they are bringing to E3.

Although the person who sent the assets asked us not to share them, they corroborate the existence of a bizarre crossover RPG that’s currently scheduled to come to Switch in either August or September. Ubisoft is developing Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle on the publisher’s proprietary Snowdrop engine, according to the assets we’ve seen. The game’s selling points appear to be a) turn-based combat, b) two-player local co-op, and c) a goofy sense of humor. (The art we’ve seen features Mario and crew wielding laser beams.)

The game will apparently have eight playable characters: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, and, bizarrely, four Rabbids dressed up as Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Peach.

Someone on gaf said they know Ubisoft have a lot planned for Switch @E3

It's clearly fake. Only Toads exist in Mario RPGs.

I remember when people claimed that the Switch leak was fake lol

The answer to this I think is simple - Trophies and Achievements

MOST of the gaming planet care about these and enjoy collecting them. No matter how strongly you feel about it the other way, you are in the minority if you dont like them. Because of this anyone that has all 3 consoles (which I believe is a suprisingly high number) is going to buy cross platform games on PS4 or Xbox One as they have this feature. Thus game sales are low and developers lose faith in Nintendo

I dont think we will ever see the days again where COD etc is released on Nintendo as that is not the correct market, but games like Final Fantasy (Mainstream, not spinoffs), will only come if there is these features added to the console. Personally I was always a PS3/4 Mark however if they release trophies/achievements onto Nintendo games and a game is cross platform the Handheld aspect of a home console would sell it for me.

Playstation debateably has it with the Vita but not to this extent we are seeing with the Switch. Nintendo has a golden opportunity here for a couple of years to use their new functionality along with the introduction of trophies/achievements (which is needed), to be able to get back on par with the big guns

MOST of the gaming planet care about these and enjoy collecting them. No matter how strongly you feel about it the other way, you are in the minority if you dont like them. Because of this anyone that has all 3 consoles (which I believe is a suprisingly high number) is going to buy cross platform games on PS4 or Xbox One as they have this feature. Thus game sales are low and developers lose faith in Nintendo

I dont think we will ever see the days again where COD etc is released on Nintendo as that is not the correct market, but games like Final Fantasy (Mainstream, not spinoffs), will only come if there is these features added to the console. Personally I was always a PS3/4 Mark however if they release trophies/achievements onto Nintendo games and a game is cross platform the Handheld aspect of a home console would sell it for me.

Playstation debateably has it with the Vita but not to this extent we are seeing with the Switch. Nintendo has a golden opportunity here for a couple of years to use their new functionality along with the introduction of trophies/achievements (which is needed), to be able to get back on par with the big guns

I think you're hugely overestimating the proportion of people who truly care about them

I want achievements but the lack of them isn't why various third party games are not being announced for Switch.

It's simply down to the return on their investment. If it looks to be a reasonable and worthwhile return to be made then they'll port. If not, then they won't. It's that simple.

Achievements may not be the key factor but I think it's a missing feature that does play into the (potential) lack of sales for Switch titles, which ultimately leads to less 3rd party titles coming to the system. In classification of gamers there is a whole group dedicated to people that love achievements, Achievers: accumulate status tokens by beating the rules-based challenges of the game world. So I don't think you can write it off as something that won't play a part.

For me adding achievements would just be the icing on the cake, but I can see why others might buy stuff on other platforms because of it.

I don't think achievements has much to do with it really. They would be a nice to have. Kav is right, it comes down to ROI. The power gap is even bigger this time when Switch is essentially an Xbox 360 at a time when mainstream games are designed for X1/PS4 and we are moving in to PS4 Pro/Scorpio territory with significantly more power again.

All of this means ports won't work. The third parties need to be convinced to do ground up Switch exclusives to match the system.

If Switch sales continue the way they are then 3rd party games will start to come back, probably too early this year, but next year I think some of the big franchises will start to get Switch releases. I'm sure a big problem is that these games don't do big numbers on Nintendo consoles so the publishers are not too bothered and Nintendo only make a small amount of profit on the games compared to in-house games so they're not too bothered either. As long as EA don't gimp Fifa just can see that doing big numbers on Switch and that may be the game that becomes a catalyst for 3rd party support.

My concern is that third parties will test support with late ports again, even despite high sales of Switch they won't do well and then use that as an excuse to say the audience isn't there again

From a business point of view I could see why though. Third party audience on Nintendo is always a question mark and given the lower specs they'd have to make something bespoke.

The best middle ground would be an in-house​ 'indie' (such as Child of Light) that requires less time and money, release it exclusively and if it doesn't sell port.

If Switch sales continue the way they are then 3rd party games will start to come back, probably too early this year, but next year I think some of the big franchises will start to get Switch releases. I'm sure a big problem is that these games don't do big numbers on Nintendo consoles so the publishers are not too bothered and Nintendo only make a small amount of profit on the games compared to in-house games so they're not too bothered either. As long as EA don't gimp Fifa just can see that doing big numbers on Switch and that may be the game that becomes a catalyst for 3rd party support.

Given how awful FIFA 13 was on Wii U, I'm not confident in FIFA 18 on Switch but hopefully it won't be a complete disaster as I wouldn't mind taking it online, something I can't really do on the PS4 version as I don't ever see me investing in PS+ as it just isn't worth it for me. There is a decent chance I will pay for Nintendo's service, though, as Switch will absolutely be my main focus over the next few years :smile:

As for other third party software, I'm part of the problem! I am becoming increasingly selective about what I purchase these days, not least because my free time is becoming scarce! I only need a few big games each year to keep me going while Virtual Console and my backlog can plug the gaps nicely.

The truth is there aren't that many third party games across any platform that I'm enthusiastic about never mind having to worry about potentially inferior versions making it to Nintendo platforms.

Obviously there are exceptions and I would prefer good third party support going forward to improve the prospects of the console but as long as Nintendo deliver the goods themselves, I think I'll be happy enough, personally..