NEurope
Hogge

Third party AAA games on Switch - A lost cause?

I really want Bethesda to bring Dishonored 2 to Switch. I don't care for Doom it Wolfenstein, but I loved Dishonored 1. Hopefully they want to bring it or a remake to Switch next year.

I see that Bandai Namco have screwed over Switch owners. They just released Dragonball Xenoverse 2 on the Switch the other week. It was a full priced game that has a bunch of DLC available to buy. Today they've announced Xenoverse 2 Deluxe edition for the other consoles. This is a cheaper version, has all the DLC and is out soon. 

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I see that Bandai Namco have screwed over Switch owners. They just released Dragonball Xenoverse 2 on the Switch the other week. It was a full priced game that has a bunch of DLC available to buy. Today they've announced Xenoverse 2 Deluxe edition for the other consoles. This is a cheaper version, has all the DLC and is out soon. 

EA - Mass Effect - Wii U anyone?

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So I guess the fact that the Switch is flying off store shelves isn't good enough for them?

I gues not. It’s OK though, I don’t consider their games good enough for the Switch. :cheeky:

• Like 1

It's really odd that they're still hesitant to make more games for the Switch, maybe they're going to keep an eye on how Doom performs (both technically and commercially) before they commit any of their resources to porting anything else over. I think one of the problems is that pretty much all of their games run on Frostbite whereas FIFA was obviously built for Switch on a custom engine and from the sounds of things it will take quite a bit of work to get Frostbite working on Switch. 

Did you see the news about LA Noire? eShop download is 29gb, but if you buy the physical copy there is a mandatory download of 14gb so it seems like publishers are reticent to use game cards larger than 16gb which could be another reason why EA are still unsure of the platform.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just read about the L.A. Noire thing now. Yeah, that's really messed up. 

Yeah, there’s no excuse whatsoever.  It’s the literal example of having your cake and eating it.

Publishers are absolutely going to abuse the hell out of this concession Nintendo is giving them.  They should nip it in the bud right now while they still can.

Edited by Dcubed

Rockstar just lost a sale. No dice. If they can't stump up for a bigger cart, I'm not gonna stump up for an old game at an inflated price. Bethesda get all my money.

Do Nintendo offer any subsidies at all? You'd think there would an offer of some sort for using bigger carts, but I guess the practice of having a lot of day one content as a mandatory download is pretty commonplace on other platforms it just sucks that in these cases they would be able to fit all of the content on a cartridge.

Actually, isn't the Switch version already £10 more? So we're paying a tax for game cards already but the publishers aren't willing to use that extra cash for larger capacity cards? More appalling than I thought.

Edited by killthenet

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

Do Nintendo offer any subsidies at all? You'd think there would an offer of some sort for using bigger carts, but I guess the practice of having a lot of day one content as a mandatory download is pretty commonplace on other platforms it just sucks that in these cases they would be able to fit all of the content on a cartridge.

Actually, isn't the Switch version already £10 more? So we're paying a tax for game cards already but the publishers aren't willing to use that extra cash for larger capacity cards? More appalling than I thought.

Problem is someone on resetera who claims to be in the know says the jump to 32gb exceeds $20 so the added cost of the game isn't necessarily covering the cost of an bigger cart size. Cart, packaging, licensing fees are too much of a cost to the publisher to put the games on 32gb carts right now. 

Going forward I really think this issue needs to be looked at by Nintendo. If that means eating the cost to the publisher until cart sizes come down then maybe that's what's required. AAA titles are large and buying physical copies and then needing to download huge files is simply not good enough. 

A 128gb SD card really wouldn't last long with the download data we are seeing with the AAA games even if you buy physical versions. 

Edited by liger05
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

DNjZ-kkVwAAQI6H.jpg

So I guess the fact that the Switch is flying off store shelves isn't good enough for them? 

Imagine this a year ago, EA would have seemed very much in the right.

Now they sound like fools with the Switch going great guns. Something like Unravel or that couch co op title they showed off at e3 (forget the name, breaking out of Prison was the jist I think) would be perfect on the Switch! 

Just seems like money left on the table with how well indie Devs are doing. As well as FIFA sales I guess they'll see how Skyrim etc get on too.

1 minute ago, dazzybee said:

I've never wanted a company to collapse as much as I do EA

I doubt it will ever happen. They have too many popular game franchises under their belt that have mass market appeal.

I don't remember the last EA game I bought on PS4 so I can't say it effects me massively. Although I am sad to say I find their Star wars games...lacking.

40 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

I've never wanted a company to collapse as much as I do EA

Don't you buy FIFA every year?

• Like 2

On 01/11/2017 at 6:23 PM, liger05 said:

Problem is someone on resetera who claims to be in the know says the jump to 32gb exceeds $20 so the added cost of the game isn't necessarily covering the cost of an bigger cart size. Cart, packaging, licensing fees are too much of a cost to the publisher to put the games on 32gb carts right now. 

Going forward I really think this issue needs to be looked at by Nintendo. If that means eating the cost to the publisher until cart sizes come down then maybe that's what's required. AAA titles are large and buying physical copies and then needing to download huge files is simply not good enough. 

A 128gb SD card really wouldn't last long with the download data we are seeing with the AAA games even if you buy physical versions. 

Problem is nintendo want third party support as they make a cut off the software. Once Nintendo start eating third parties costs it kinda defeats the objective.

Edited by khilafah

9 hours ago, Daft said:

I don't remember the last EA game I bought on PS4 so I can't say it effects me massively. Although I am sad to say I find their Star wars games...lacking.

Don't you buy FIFA every year?

Yes.... :) I know, I’m part of the problem! I’m being strong and not getting battlefront 2 though. Until it comes out and I buckle massively. 

• Like 1

Graphics comparison for DOOM...

And here's some footage of the final retail version...

Holy moly! It looks so close to the PS4/Xbone versions! And seems to run at a locked 30FPS. Damned impressive work!

This'll make for a nice slice of Xmas fun next to Mario Odyssey! Here's a glimpse into what my Xmas is gonna look like...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Holy moly! It looks so close to the PS4/Xbone versions! And seems to run at a locked 30FPS. Damned impressive work!

Guy in the vid says he thinks there might be occasional drops to around 25 or 26fps (not sure how he can tell the difference between those 2 :heh:) but yeah, it looks to be 30 for the most part.

Resolution has blatantly taken a huge hit, but it's still very impressive. :cool: It's just great to see a good port of a high-end game running so well on Switch, hopefully it encourages other devs to bring their games over to the console too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Early reviews of DOOM are hugely positive, averaging 81 on Metacritic. Another great game to pick up for Switch.

Great news, I have it ordered and can't wait to play it on a handheld. Who else is getting it for some online?

1 minute ago, dazzybee said:

Great news, I have it ordered and can't wait to play it on a handheld. Who else is getting it for some online?

I’m getting it!

Regarding online... will it have voice-chat? :D

(everyone knew it was coming)

6 minutes ago, Kav said:

I’m getting it!

Regarding online... will it have voice-chat? :D

(everyone knew it was coming)

Awesome, we can tweet abuse at each other after each match instead!!

• Haha 2