NEurope
Hogge

Third party AAA games on Switch - A lost cause?

The third was a picture of a snowstorm. Many are speculating that this means a Blizzard game is on the way. Obviously most are hoping that it's Overwatch but a more fitting game would probably be Hearthstone.

Diablo 3? seems a good fit for the Switch & Blizzard are STILL supporting it

Diablo 3? seems a good fit for the Switch & Blizzard are STILL supporting it

That's another good shout as there is another version coming out soon/just came out, IIRC.

Hearthstone would kibe great, I loved playing that on the iPad but gave up, but on the switch I'd be well up for playing it more.

Though overwatch would also be amazing.

Really hope Nintendo have new games every day like they hinted. End with Smash Bros :D

The third was a picture of a snowstorm. Many are speculating that this means a Blizzard game is on the way. Obviously most are hoping that it's Overwatch but a more fitting game would probably be Hearthstone.

Are you sure it wasnt just a white screen?

Hearthstone would make a lot of sense. Blizzard put up that tease around the Switch reveal if I remember correctly.

French site Game Blog spoke with Dragon Ball FighterZ producer Tomoko Hiroki. Despite what some may say, the game not being on Switch isn’t a matter of the system’s technical specs or lack of power. Hiroki added that there hasn’t been any trouble porting over Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.

It isn’t clear why Bandai Namco and developer Arc System Works skipped on Switch for Dragon Ball FighterZ. However, Hiroki did say that if fans show their interest, they could bring it over. Hiroki did caution that Dragon Ball FighterZ may not come to Switch the same time as other versions, but they’re open to considering it.

http://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-ball-fighterz-dev-says-no-switch-version-isnt-due-to-a-lack-of-power-open-to-porting-if-fans-show-interest/

I don't like how switch owners are assumed to not be interested in a game like this and somehow have to demand a release.

Nintendo platforms need to justify their existence in ways other platforms don't.

Just release games or not. Third parties don't need to announce games for other platforms and then ask switch gamers to show they want games. It's ridiculous.

Dragon Ball FighterZ

Disney Afternoon Collection

MegaMan Legacy Collection 2

There are probably others as well. All switch owners can do that buy games that are released and third parties should work from that. Look at the hardware sales, look at the software sales and then come to a decision from that rather than this game of Switch owners needing to bombard Twitter begging for a release.

Just how many tweets does it take? A third party ask for Switch owners to show interest but how is t measured. I fail to believe thousands of retweets is how a third party would decide if it's worth developing a game for a platform.

Edited by liger05

Fuck me, DBFZ so needs to be on Switch!

Get cross-play on it too and that's the dream!

Just how many tweets does it take? A third party ask for Switch owners to show interest but how is t measured. I fail to believe thousands of retweets is how a third party would decide if it's worth developing a game for a platform.

I'm not a fan of these kinds of things where publishers are essentially asking gamers to beg for a release, no matter what the console. From a business point of view it is a free way of seeing whether the market is there for your product without having to do any research yourself but it still seems scummy.

However, they do sometimes work. Bandai Namco done this with Digimon on the PS4. They essentially held the localisation of the game ransom until enough support was shown in the West. Operation Rainfall is another example of fans having to beg for their games to be released and it working. Whether or not these companies had intentions of releasing their games over here anyway is another matter but on the surface these types of things do seem to get results from time to time.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of these kinds of things where publishers are essentially asking gamers to beg for a release, no matter what the console. From a business point of view it is a free way of seeing whether the market is there for your product without having to do any research yourself but it still seems scummy.

However, they do sometimes work. Bandai Namco done this with Digimon on the PS4. They essentially held the localisation of the game ransom until enough support was shown in the West. Operation Rainfall is another example of fans having to beg for their games to be released and it working. Whether or not these companies had intentions of releasing their games over here anyway is another matter but on the surface these types of things do seem to get results from time to time.

I can understand with localisation decisions as it can take a lot of work with a risk of limited people wanting such a game.

With a game like DBZ I think as you say the publishers can do the research to get an idea of whether they feel the game would be commercially viable.

EA, like Capcom, are still looking to only test the waters with their releases on the Switch.

Söderlund stated:

“I’ve made people repeatedly, publicly aware that I’m a gigantic Nintendo fanboy. Nintendo was what got me into this industry in the first place. I take my Switch with me everywhere.”

“What I will say is, we will appear on any platform where there are consumers, and players. We believe that we want to be a part of the Switch, and help Nintendo grow that installed base; that’s why you’ll see FIFA, which by the way is really good this year. It’s a full-fledged FIFA game, for the first time to be honest, on a portable device.”

“But at the same time we have to look at it from a resource standpoint and, at some point, the numbers become a factor. So for us it’s about supporting the platform, building technology for the platform, testing it out with big things like FIFA – and maybe a couple of others, we’ll see – and if they go well, I see no reason why we shouldn’t have as much of our portfolio on that platform as possible. I hope we get there, that would be my personal ambition.”

It seems like the Wii era all over again, with 3rd party developers sending out test games to see if there is a market for their types of games on the platform.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

EA, like Capcom, are still looking to only test the waters with their releases on the Switch.

It seems like the Wii era all over again, with 3rd party developers sending out test games to see if there is a market for their types of games on the platform.

Yeah, so it seems.

but can/should we blame them and, from a sound business point of view, what alternative do they have?

Sure, as a fan/consumer I'd love to see as many titles as possible. But it's a little naive to think developers are in it only to please a handful of fans.

If people want that kind of support, they could start with buying the few 3rd party titles that do release and really promote them to friends/family. Still better than waiting for a miracle to happen ;)

25 minutes ago, markderoos said:

Yeah, so it seems.

but can/should we blame them and, from a sound business point of view, what alternative do they have?

Sure, as a fan/consumer I'd love to see as many titles as possible. But it's a little naive to think developers are in it only to please a handful of fans.

If people want that kind of support, they could start with buying the few 3rd party titles that do release and really promote them to friends/family. Still better than waiting for a miracle to happen ;)

It's annoying but I don't blame them at all. Some 3rd parties got burned by the Wii U situation and many who didn't develop/publish games on that platform saw what a wreck the whole thing was. It's no wonder that they are sheepish about supporting the Switch, even if it has had a good start. Also, while it seems to be easy to developer for, the Switch is once again in a situation where some 3rd party engines, Frostbite for example, either won't run on it at all or not without some significant tweaking. It's time and money that developers don't want to invest, especially when they have the PS4/One/PC being able to run the same games without any extra effort.

It's a harsh situation and one that i doubt will ever get better. I don't believe people should have to buy games just to show support. A person should buy a game because they want to play it. I mean, there was a poster on Gaf who said he has no interest in FIFA but is thinking of buying the game on the Switch just in the hopes that it will encourage EA to release more titles. It's madness. 

FIFA sales on the Switch are going to be a very interesting thing to watch. It's pretty much a complete version of the game and if it doesn't sell, despite the effort that EA are making, it goes to show that there is no audience for these types of games on Nintendo platforms.

• Like 3

I've not touched a FIFA for three years now, either picking up PES or just not bothering...yet this version I'll be picking up day one and actually quite excited about it!

I'll be interested to see if we get any more tweets/social media from the players themselves (like we saw with Barca and MK8D) which might drive sales without Nintendo or EA having to lift a finger.

Edited by Kaepora_Gaebora

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's annoying but I don't blame them at all. Some 3rd parties got burned by the Wii U situation and many who didn't develop/publish games on that platform saw what a wreck the whole thing was. It's no wonder that they are sheepish about supporting the Switch, even if it has had a good start. Also, while it seems to be easy to developer for, the Switch is once again in a situation where some 3rd party engines, Frostbite for example, either won't run on it at all or not without some significant tweaking. It's time and money that developers don't want to invest, especially when they have the PS4/One/PC being able to run the same games without any extra effort.

It's a harsh situation and one that i doubt will ever get better. I don't believe people should have to buy games just to show support. A person should buy a game because they want to play it. I mean, there was a poster on Gaf who said he has no interest in FIFA but is thinking of buying the game on the Switch just in the hopes that it will encourage EA to release more titles. It's madness. 

FIFA sales on the Switch are going to be a very interesting thing to watch. It's pretty much a complete version of the game and if it doesn't sell, despite the effort that EA are making, it goes to show that there is no audience for these types of games on Nintendo platforms.

I plan on buying FIFA for my Xbox. The reason being is that the people I play with will also get it on the Xbox. I'd LOVE a portable version but I really don't want to have to buy it twice. Although that does seem quite tempting if I could move my seasons between the two games, which is very unlikely.

Okami announced for the other consoles and not switch - what is Capcom's problem? It's a very very bizarre situation.... I think it'd sell far better on Switch too as Nintendo platforms haven't seen the HD version, plus it's such a Zelda rip off.

With Afternoon Collection, Megaman collection, this - all, in my mind, more suited to Nintendo, no appearing, just don't understand what they're doing!!

• Like 1

Only a rumour at the moment dazzy so it could still come to Switch. 

With FIFA both me and my brother really want to get it but are happy enough to wait until Xmas so will both be getting it then. I worry though that EA will only be looking at immediate sales and not sales over the first few months it's making me wonder if I should get it on launch. September and October are already super expensive though with Metroid, SNES Mini and Mario Odyssey.

It's a tough one with FIFA.

I've found that I don't really use the Switch portable at all and it's more of a Nintendo home console for me. I'll probably go for the Xbox version - for single player it's got the journey and for online it's just miles better.

14 hours ago, dazzybee said:

Okami announced for the other consoles and not switch - what is Capcom's problem? It's a very very bizarre situation.... I think it'd sell far better on Switch too as Nintendo platforms haven't seen the HD version, plus it's such a Zelda rip off.

With Afternoon Collection, Megaman collection, this - all, in my mind, more suited to Nintendo, no appearing, just don't understand what they're doing!!

The Okami port is just a rumour right now, it hasn't actually been announced yet...

If it happens, a Switch version surely has to be a no-brainer.  With them putting the upcoming re-re-master of RE Revelations on Switch, Okami seems a likely follow up.

Edited by Dcubed

LA Noire on Switch? Actual (kinda) support from Rockstar!? Really!?

Rockstar, Bethesda and EA are now the Switch's biggest 3rd Party supporters.  What kind of crazy bizzaro world is this? :laughing: 

I'm reading rumours around the web regarding the spiritual successor to Top Spin 3, called Tennis World Tour by Bigben Interactive and Breakout, now being confirmed for Switch. Not sure if true, because I can't find a solid source, but different gaming websites seem to report it.

For my fellow Dutchies: xgn.nl link

Edited by markderoos

51 minutes ago, markderoos said:

I'm reading rumours around the web regarding the spiritual successor to Top Spin 3, called Tennis World Tour by Bigben Interactive and Breakout, now being confirmed for Switch. Not sure if true, because I can't find a solid source, but different gaming websites seem to report it.

For my fellow Duchies: xgn.nl link

I think the story originated from Gaf.

There's some news, I guess. Just got a PM by Big Ben, but don't hold your breath about screenshots or even a trailer. It just confirms some new athletes: Carolin Wozniacki, Nick Kyrgios, Alexander Zverev, John Isner.

Releasing in 2018 for PS4, Xbox One, PC and Switch. Don't know if they confirmed Switch before.

I spoke about this game to @Aneres11 earlier in the year but that was when it was only on the PS4/One. I'm sure he will be pleased to see it coming to the Switch.

• Like 2

I'm a big tennis fan but have only really been into the sport for 5 years or so, in which time there has been slim pickings as far as tennis games on console go. Really hope this rumour turns out to be true as I could see myself getting pretty invested in a proper tennis simulation. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markderoos said:

For my fellow Duchies: xgn.nl link

That would be pretty great news as I've been in the mood for a good tennis game recently.. though I tried to get back into Top Spin 3 on PS3 last week and just wasn't feeling it :blank:

Hopefully they include motion control as an option!

• Like 1

On 08/09/2017 at 1:40 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I think the story originated from Gaf.

I spoke about this game to @Aneres11 earlier in the year but that was when it was only on the PS4/One. I'm sure he will be pleased to see it coming to the Switch.

Sorry for delay - I've had some log in issues! :D

Back now. Great news!! Made up with this!

Bethesda have taken the crown! Well done to them!  They are putting damn near every Japanese and western 3rd party to absolute shame right now.

I am gonna buy the crap out of Doom for Switch! Such a ridiculously perfect fit! :D 

Dare I also hope for Gyro controls as well?

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1