NEurope
Hogge

Third party AAA games on Switch - A lost cause?

This combined with Capcom not releasing Megaman collection 2 it's all a bit maddening.

What the fuck is capcoms excuse?! Same with the afternoon collection. Utterly mental!

I'm still inclined to believe that the Capcom collections aren't coming because they're planning on releasing them on the VC when it launches; but of course that doesn't cover MM 9 and 10 unless they release them as Wii Ware VC titles...

Why Nintendo flew EA out to the January reveal I will never know. Pointless!!!

I still don't understand stand why they are just didn't call it Fifa 18 like the 360 and PS3 versions.

Either they have some stupid switch exclusive modes or as it will be the only game they don't need to worry about an old fifa title numerically being on shelves in a years time. This version will be around for the duration of the switch life.

Edited by liger05

I still don't understand stand why they are just didn't call it Fifa 18 like the 360 and PS3 versions.

Apparently it is just being called FIFA 18 now.

it will be the only game they don't need to worry about an old fifa title numerically being on shelves in a years time. This version will be around for the duration of the switch life.

This will still be true though. FIFA 13 was the only FIFA game ever released for Wii U and EA didn't give a toss. History repeats once more, only this time it'll happen to a very successful console, so it's EA's loss this time ::shrug:

You never know it could be that EA were expecting to have a small install base on the Switch and so didn't bother making the changes to Frostbite early enough to get Fifa 18 out for this year.

UE4 has a build target for Switch now so it's possible to make an engine which can target both Xbox One/PS4 and Switch.

Yeah I'm in an optimistic mood today.

The Journey in FIFA 17 became repetitive very quickly after a mildly promising start. I honestly won't miss it :smile:

Like I said before, all I need is a solid game that I can play with friends locally or go online to climb the divisions against random opponents. I suspect the modes I need will be present so it really boils down to whether the gameplay is good enough. It unfortunately wasn't back in 2013!

fifa-18-boxart-656x65c8zrn.jpg

Fifa 18 (minus modes) it is.

Starting to think FUT will be missing alongside journey mode.

This game is DOA.

Starting to think FUT will be missing alongside journey mode.

This game is DOA.

I just want a new DOA game now.

The Journey in FIFA 17 became repetitive very quickly after a mildly promising start. I honestly won't miss it :smile:

Like I said before, all I need is a solid game that I can play with friends locally or go online to climb the divisions against random opponents. I suspect the modes I need will be present so it really boils down to whether the gameplay is good enough. It unfortunately wasn't back in 2013!

Same. On all fronts. Though the new one could be amazing. But I don't really care.

Fifa will be have less modes than the 360/PS3 version and be the same prices. Fuck that.

Fifa will be have less modes than the 360/PS3 version and be the same prices. Fuck that.

Of course it will be. They saw you coming, remember.

This is all looking like a repeat of the Wii and WiicU eras.

The Journey doesn't appeal to me but it was well received.

FUT is incredibly popular now and is a deal breaker for me personally as it's all that I play really.

Regardless of personal views though, missing modes will create the perception that this is a second rate version and it just reinforces everyone's negative opinions of Nintendo platforms and western games.

The problem is whereas with the U it was probably seen as good business strategy to give it a miss bar 13, this time around its looking like a very poor decision to pedal out last gen tat on what is becoming a very popular games console.

Couple that with gamers actually being quite savvy and I think this could back fire on EA more than Nintendo.

Saying that the average FIFA gamer is probably just a FIFA gamers and little else, so they won't care a jot and probably aren't interested in Switch anyway.

I do want a football game to play on Switch so if this has online leagues (FUT not for me) then I'll be very interested still, depending on what we see at e3!

Its a tough situation and one that the consumer can't really win. If the game bombs then you'll get no more support. If people do buy a lesser product, then it shows that companies can release these stripped down versions of their multiplatform games and people will still buy them, regardless of the quality.

I honestly don't think EA will be too fussed either way. The amount of money they make across the other platforms from FUT is insane and they are probably happy with not having to support a different platform. If they weren't contracted to make the game for every platform then I doubt we would even be seeing a Switch version.

I remember watching the EA E3 conference/event last year with lostmario. When EA showed FIFA Mobile we both joked about how this would be the NX version of the game. Looks like we could be right. :D

I don't think EA care if it bombs. This is being released as contractually they have to release a Fifa title. Go with the bare minimum and if it bombs no damage, if it sells quids in.

How to EA on Nintendo:

Release half-assed, half-baked version of popular game on Nintendo weeks or months after release on other consoles at full price with numerous features omitted.

"No one buys our games on Nintendo"

"Not financially viable"

Ignore platform until release of next one.

"Unprecedented partnership"

Repeat.

How to EA on Nintendo:

Release half-assed, half-baked version of popular game on Nintendo weeks or months after release on other consoles at full price with numerous features omitted.

"No one buys our games on Nintendo"

"Not financially viable"

Ignore platform until release of next one.

"Unprecedented partnership"

Repeat.

I love how blatantly transparent they are with their contempt. It's just hilarious how easy it is to predict them :laughing:

FFS!

I'll be really pissed off if this doesn't have Ultimate Team.

I don't really know all the modes in FIFA but without UT is there another online league mode?

I don't get the point of just playing friendlies.

The problem is those of us wanting a football game on Switch are kind of backed into a corner with this. If it's bad we won't be happy and won't want to buy it, but if it bombs then EA will think there isn't a demand for FIFA on the Switch and so won't release another one. So we kind of have to buy it regardless of the quality just so EA continue to support the system.

Despite the low quality of FIFA 13 on Wii U, I still got hundreds of hours of playtime out of it because it was the only football game on the system. So I expect that even if 18 is of similar quality then I'll still get plenty of play time out of it because of the portability of the console, so i'm optimistic for that aspect at least.

The problem is those of us wanting a football game on Switch are kind of backed into a corner with this. If it's bad we won't be happy and won't want to buy it, but if it bombs then EA will think there isn't a demand for FIFA on the Switch and so won't release another one. So we kind of have to buy it regardless of the quality just so EA continue to support the system.

Despite the low quality of FIFA 13 on Wii U, I still got hundreds of hours of playtime out of it because it was the only football game on the system. So I expect that even if 18 is of similar quality then I'll still get plenty of play time out of it because of the portability of the console, so i'm optimistic for that aspect at least.

Indeed. EA have people who want to play a footy game, but only on the Switch, by the balls.

FFS!

I'll be really pissed off if this doesn't have Ultimate Team.

I don't really know all the modes in FIFA but without UT is there another online league mode?

I don't get the point of just playing friendlies.

I've never even looked into Ultimate Team so I'm not sure exactly what might compare but the only mode I'm really bothered about is Seasons.

Basically, you start in Division 10 and there are 10 matches in a season. Each match is against a random opponent in a similar division and you have to get enough points to be promoted. A certain amount of points will see you remain in that division for another season but failure to secure enough points will see you fall into the division below.

As you can imagine, the higher your division the harder your opposition is likely to be. Scoring last gasp winners or holding out for an all-important point definitely holds more weight than just any old friendly and it can be quite compelling :smile:

I've never even looked into Ultimate Team so I'm not sure exactly what might compare but the only mode I'm really bothered about is Seasons.

Basically, you start in Division 10 and there are 10 matches in a season. Each match is against a random opponent in a similar division and you have to get enough points to be promoted. A certain amount of points will see you remain in that division for another season but failure to secure enough points will see you fall into the division below.

As you can imagine, the higher your division the harder your opposition is likely to be. Scoring last gasp winners or holding out for an all-important point definitely holds more weight than just any old friendly and it can be quite compelling :smile:

That's exactly what Ultimate Team is. Anybody care to explain the difference?

That's exactly what Ultimate Team is. Anybody care to explain the difference?

Is Ultimate Team about obtaining players? In Seasons, you just select your team and play with the squad available :smile:

Is Ultimate Team about obtaining players? In Seasons, you just select your team and play with the squad available :smile:

So in seasons you just play as a real team like Chelsea?

Ultimate Team you make your own team and start with bronze players, but you earn or can buy Fifa coins and with these you can buy better players( Silver,Gold) on the transfer market. Plus you have contracts and loads of other consumables, so it's more like Football manager. Certainly the transfer market is a major part of UT.

If seasons is just playing as a real team, them I'm guessing 98% of players are either Barcelona or Real Madrid?

EA must make huge sums of money from Ultimate Team, so I would be astounded if they leave it out.