NEurope
Hogge

Third party AAA games on Switch - A lost cause?

So a big problem with Nintendo systems for quite a long time has been third party support. Many people claim that the Switch success or failure in large part depends on if it'll be able to hold true on the promise of AAA games on the go... something that's heavily dependent on third party support.

A big reason for the lacking third party support is due to such games selling poorly on Nintendo systems. We have Need for Speed Most Wanted U, Wonderful 101 and Splinter Cell all having absolutely appalling sales of about 30k sold copies during their first month on the system, and Ubisoft claiming that Wii U sales only stood for single digit percentages of revenue from games available for that system.

I hoped that this would change with the Switch. However, after today's Nintendo Direct presentation, I'm not so certain. Payday 2, one of the best and best selling FPS games of the past few years gets announced. A game so popular that the developer bought out a third party studio just to continue making DLC for it until at least the end of next year.

I create a thread on this forum to talk about it and... noone responds. I check the Nintendo Direct thread and barely anyone even mentions it. And it's not unique to this forum either. I've checked a few other forums and for the most part, noone cares.

The point of this post isn't to bash those who like different types of games. Or point out who buys what and what he or she as an individual are responsible for. The point is to discuss an issue.

I know that a port of a four year old game isn't the most exciting thing in the world. Certainly not as exciting as Mass Effect Andromeda or the next GTA. But sales of the games that DO come out dictate what support the machine will receive in the future.

So what I feel we must discuss is... Is third party support something we really want, so that we can play more games on the Switch? Or are we just asking because high profile games on the Switch would please our fanboy egos? Why don't "we" support third party developers? What can we do to make sure that third parties stay on the machine?

I'm not expecting third party AAA games simply because the power discrepancy maybe to much.

I'm not expecting third party AAA games simply because the power discrepancy maybe to much.

Umm... that's not what this thread is about.

Can payday 2 really be classed as AAA?

Secondly why are people really going to care about such an old game such as this?

If it was a GTA 5 port and nobody cared I think you could have a point but nobody asked for payday 2?

I think Third Party games only have a chance if they release on the same day as on other platforms. It's hard to be enthusiastic about a port of a game you already played.

So, Third Party developers have a window of opportunity to earn money on a Nintendo platform, but they need to act wisely: no old ports, but same day releases. I'm sure 'Nintendo Fanboys' will buy COD, FIFA, AC, ME, GTA, Tomb Raider in large numbers when that happens. I'm even sure that a fairly large part of multi platform owners would choose a Switch version over a PS/XB version because of the mobile aspect. But. It. Has. To. Release. Simultainiously.

I think they have a chance. However, due to how Nintendo did the Switch launch, we just won't see them until the end of this year/middle of next year. Most developers didn't get dev kits until towards the end of last year. It's just not that feasible for them to get it done.

I would like to see new and current retail 3rd party games to be released on Switch. I don't care for ports of games that are years old.

I'd love to see a more diverse choice of 3rd party titles arrive on the Switch, i don't want to see another WiiU situation where the console is primarily being supported by 1st/2nd party titles only. No console can survive without some element of 3rd party. I echo an earlier comment, if 3rd party games release at the same time as PS4/Xbox One equivalents then they should do ok. Not a few months to a year later (looking at you Watch Dogs)

To be honest you've raised a very good point. There are very few games I'd buy on the Switch over buying on the Xbox. I think the only games I'd buy Switch if it were also available on the Xbox are the ones that have no online component and I want to play on the move. THere's just not point in buying them for the Switch when they'll look far better on the Xbox.

I have my Switch for the fantastic 1st party games and for playing other games on the move.

To be honest i think that Payday is great and might be a fun game on the switch, but i suspect the timing of the direct means no other Third Party has announced games because theres this huge slightly unheard of games conference in a month or so's time

Payday 2 is a nice (and surprising) announcement, but it's not a AAA title and it's also quite an old one.

Yeah, I think most of us here have already accepted that the likes of Red Dead Redemption 2 and Destiny 2 are not gonna come. You're just not gonna see the big western publishers support Switch with their flagship titles, it's not in their interest to do so.

Unlike Wii and Wii U however, Switch should be getting most of the major Japanese titles. Expect the same kind of support the 3DS got, but on a home console this time. That in of itself is actually quite exciting though!

Yeah we're definitely getting Japanese third party support.

Plus Indies up the wazoo, so it's just like you say the AAA publishers in the west holding back

Two points here... Firstly, yes, expecting 3rd-party support may be too much. I love the Switch, but there's no point expecting 3rd-party support if your machine doesn't run at the same level as the wider industry. I don't expect it and I don't ask for it.

Secondly, I'm sorry that not many people want to discuss Payday 2 with you. Personally, I find the idea of the game extremely distasteful. This is the company that has been censoring bikinis in its own games, FFS, and now it has a bank robbing simulator on its console. Maybe Nintendo fans do have a slightly different temperament to other gamers, and maybe don't want ultra violence. I certainly don't.

Secondly, I'm sorry that not many people want to discuss Payday 2 with you. Personally, I find the idea of the game extremely distasteful. This is the company that has been censoring bikinis in its own games, FFS, and now it has a bank robbing simulator on its console. Maybe Nintendo fans do have a slightly different temperament to other gamers, and maybe don't want ultra violence. I certainly don't.

It's not a simulator though, it's a fairly schlocky and loose interpretation of the heist movie genre. If you have a problem with this, do you have a problem with, say, films like The Town or The Italian Job?

If you don't want to play it, it's the same with everything else; don't buy it.

The actual problem with Payday 2 is that it game out midway through 2013. Who is there that wanted to play this game but hasn't yet?

the 3rd party roster has diminished which does not help matters. If EA and Konami don't support Switch then we don't get a football game. Look back to the SNES and there were at least 6 different football franchises. Sensible World of Soccer would be brilliant on Switch and Cannon Fodder. what happened to sensible software?

the 3rd party roster has diminished which does not help matters. If EA and Konami don't support Switch then we don't get a football game. Look back to the SNES and there were at least 6 different football franchises. Sensible World of Soccer would be brilliant on Switch and Cannon Fodder. what happened to sensible software?

Different times. The snes was the market leader.

Why Konami don't put pes on switch I don't know. That game doesn't sell well on any platform so I fail to see why they wouldn't want the extra sales on the Switch.

Why Konami don't put pes on switch I don't know. That game doesn't sell well on any platform so I fail to see why they wouldn't want the extra sales on the Switch.

It doesn't really make any sense for them to do so but I'd actually love to see the return of International Superstar Soccer, even if it just an HD version of ISS 98 on N64 with updated rosters and online :yay:

It's not a simulator though, it's a fairly schlocky and loose interpretation of the heist movie genre. If you have a problem with this, do you have a problem with, say, films like The Town or The Italian Job?

I've not heard of The Town, but this doesn't look similar to The Italian Job to me (at least not the Michael Caine original). It looks like the beginning of Batman: the Dark Knight. I don't know, I bow to your knowledge of its tone, but there's something about hiding behind the clown masks and the whole robber-as-the-hero thing that doesn't sit right with me. At the end of the day, I don't like it, simple as that. I'm not asking others to dislike it, but that's the way I feel about it.

PS - Also, I thought I saw firearms in the trailer? Or did I imagine that? Armed robbery is not quite the same as a light-hearted "heist".

If you don't want to play it, it's the same with everything else; don't buy it.

Yeah, I agree, but I was just explaining to Hogge why I wasn't interested in it. He's particularly asked why people aren't discussing it. I can't speak for others, but that's my reason.

Edited by Grazza

I think the Switch will end up being like the Wii in that we'll get stripped down or heavily customised ports of the majority of third party multiplatform releases (the likes of FIFA, Call Of Duty etc) but we won't see many more single player focused titles like Tomb Raider, GTA. I think the majority of those buying the Switch aren't likely to buy many third party games anyway, especially the majority on here as they generally own a PS4 or Xbox.

Personally, I would much prefer to buy a FIFA on the Switch than on the PS4 and I'd probably buy Dark Souls III on Switch if a port of it comes out this year (playing through DS2 on PS4 at the moment so won't be needing to buy 3 for a few months at least) but if a game like Red Dead 2 were coming out on the Switch alongside the PS4 & Xbox i'd probably be more inclined to buy it on one of those platforms.

I think third party exclusives are going to be the most interesting thing. They won't be able to compete with multiplatform releases but if they can snag a number of exclusives (like Monster Hunter for Japan) then they will add a lot of value to the package. I think unlike the Wii U the Switch can survive with first party titles alone though.

We're in a difficult position though where even if FIFA 18 on Switch is a borked port, we still need to buy it to encourage EA's continued support.

Edited by killthenet

Nintendo should of paid for the GTA 5 port for launch.

That game still sells like crazy even though it's old.

My point is thereally are only two football franchises out there now.

My point is thereally are only two football franchises out there now.

Yeah and only one of them actually sells high numbers.

[/color]

I've not heard of The Town, but this doesn't look similar to The Italian Job to me (at least not the Michael Caine original). It looks like the beginning of Batman: the Dark Knight. I don't know, I bow to your knowledge of its tone, but there's something about hiding behind the clown masks and the whole robber-as-the-hero thing that doesn't sit right with me. At the end of the day, I don't like it, simple as that. I'm not asking others to dislike it, but that's the way I feel about it.

PS - Also, I thought I saw firearms in the trailer? Or did I imagine that? Armed robbery is not quite the same as a light-hearted "heist"..

Yeah that's fair enough, but if you play the game or see it in motion, there's really no opportunity to see the goonery and hijinks as being capable of having an effect on real life behaviour. Definitely firearms though. But then you can look at the opening of the Dark Knight, think it's super stylish and cool, and see how that could be a fun setup for a coop game with friends without identifying or valorising the bad guys, right?

Nintendo should of paid for the GTA 5 port for launch.

That game still sells like crazy even though it's old.

I think that you fundamentally don't understand the relationship between Nintendo and the Hauser brothers.

But back on topic, I've found that people are being a bit narrowly focused about a lot of this. Firstly, the indie support for the switch has been really good so far and Nintendo getting Unreal fully supported is a massive plus. Read up on Snakepass and how easily it got converted to run on the switch for more evidence. There are a lot of third party games already announced and we shouldn't be discounting them because they dont come from the rinse-and-repeat machines that are Activision/EA/Ubisoft.

Second, E3 is not far away. Nintendo really don't need to be blowing their load right now about any big releases. The drip feed approach is working well considering the stock shortages and other publisher prefer to do their reveal work at E3.

Third, Nintendo will only really have their full online system working for the first time once Mario Kart is released. There are still a ton of unknown quantities on the Switch and I'm sure that Nintendo hasn't figured out yet how much access 3rd parties are allowed to how the online systems work. I can't see anyone like Blizzard having even the vaguest interest unless Nintendo let them forge ahead with their own server styles.