NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

Yakuza Kiwami

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'm starting to think I want to see a Yakuza/Godzilla spin off. I want to see Kiryu punch Godzilla in the face. Godzilla must be wearing a flashy suit at this point as well.

Db3qCIOVAAADtHx.jpg:large

Edited by Happenstance
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Time well spent, I assume? :p

Well.. I didn't buy it..

YET!

54 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Well.. I didn't buy it..

YET!

What the hell?

Buy! Buy! Buy! :heh:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

OK.. OK!

I might get a refund on my Labo later (I still haven't opened it yet) so could probably spare the £9.99 for Kiwami.. :heh:

• Like 3

Spoiler

Kazama!!! :cry:

The scene where he dies and tells Kiryu that he killed his parents was both shocking and heartbreaking.

Shimano has now also bit the bullet. Lots of the big players are being taken off the board.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just finished chapter 10...

Spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

Shinji and Reina! :( :cry:

gL-CFH6hOvHkM5E8F3OGs0DzDk8=.gif

Ahhhhhhh.. now I have to know who is going to pay!

Screw you guys.. I'm downloading Kiwami tonight :kiss:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My second Yakuza adventure is over. Absolutely brilliant stuff! 

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Hakura had me in stitches when the mob showed up. When she turned to Kiryu and said "Beat them up,Mister!" I burst out laughing. 

I knew Kiryu was gonna be the name on the will. Still, it didn't make the reveal any less epic as he shoved it in Jingu's face.

The battle against Nishiki was great. Once again the music really set the tone for the final battle.

For a moment I actually thought Kiryu was going to get a happy ending with Yumi. Seems like everyone who gets close to him ends up dying. :( 

Loved the song chosen for the credits. Very touching. :cry:

I'm honestly gutted I have to wait for Kiwami 2 for me to continue my way through the series. No doubt I'll have to wait a while until after release as well as I don't want the steel book version and it takes a bit of time for that to go out of circulation. I nearly bought a copy of the PS2 version on eBay last night but decided to just wait it out.

While the story in Zero is stronger, Kawami is still a fantastic game. I'm still not sure if I like how Majima has changed. Sure, he's funny and wacky but there doesn't seem to be any explanation as to why he has turned into a nut job.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

While the story in Zero is stronger, Kawami is still a fantastic game. I'm still not sure if I like how Majima has changed. Sure, he's funny and wacky but there doesn't seem to be any explanation as to why he has turned into a nut job.

To be fair, this is how Majima always was and I think Zero just did a bit of a poor job showing why. Its close to the end of Zero where he looks back at a load of the people he met during that game that just lived their lives however they wanted and didnt give a shit which inspired him. The Majima everywhere system though was added for Kiwami so in the original he wasnt in nearly as much of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome stuff, @Hero-of-Time. I think it’s actually a good idea to wait for Kiwami 2 and take a break from the series, but if you did want more Yakuza in between, not to mention seeing more of nut job Majima :D then you might consider giving Yakuza Dead Souls a go on PS3.

Although knowing how you’re not so into the crazier side of Yakuza, perhaps not. :heh: But hey, just a suggestion.

:peace:

• Thanks 1

I probably should have taken a break after finishing 6 but I've gone right back to playing 3. I wont fly through that as quickly as I do other Yakuza games but I'm alternating between 3 and Night in the Woods while I wait for a bit of a discount somewhere on God of War.

@Hero of Time

Spoiler

What did you think of Nishki's sacrifice at the end?

I know the canonical view of it was that he wanted to save Kiryu and had a change of heart but if I remember right it just didnt play like that to me. It was more like he just wanted the lastlsugh against whatshisface.

9 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

@Hero of Time

Kiwami spoilers (Hide contents)

What did you think of Nishki's sacrifice at the end?

I know the canonical view of it was that he wanted to save Kiryu and had a change of heart but if I remember right it just didnt play like that to me. It was more like he just wanted the lastlsugh against whatshisface.

Spoiler

I thought it was handled fine. I assumed he wanted to take Jingu out purely because he had just shot the woman he was in love with.

Didn't talk about it much, but I played (and adored) Yakuza 0 last year, and with the Remastered Collection coming out in a couple of weeks, I was reminded of how much I loved 0 and decided that it was about time to move onto the next entry in the series. 

Started this a few hours ago, and I just finished the third chapter, and...

Spoiler

...screw Nishiki. 

Anyways, got to admit, I feel like this game doesn't start quite as strongly as 0 did - though the hook is still definitely there. Some might say that it's unfair to compare the two, but in terms of gameplay, they're definitely similar, and I generally liked the gameplay in 0, so I'm having a decent time so far. It's just that, so far, the story kind of feels like it's going over some similar beats to 0, and fighting our way out of Tojo Clan HQ played out in a pretty similar way in terms of enemy variety. 

Of course, that's not this game's fault, with 0 being a prequel and the developers knowing full well what they were setting up. I'll admit, it felt pretty odd facing off against Shimano so early in the game after just how much he was built up throughout the entirety of 0. I'm not quite sure that I buy Sera's death at this point; again, just considering his role previously in 0, he seems like he'd be a lock for an on-screen death, and the fakeout towards the end of 0 when he gets shot by Sagawa just seems too recent from a storytelling point of view if he really is dead, I suppose. 

Don't want to seem too down on it, because I'm definitely in, but I do think it's taking a little while to warm up to the story so far. Hope it picks up in the next few chapters.

But yeah...seriously, screw Nishiki.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Definitely not the type of game I feel like I can post loads about, considering just how heavy the game is on plot. 

But I just finished Chapter 12, and man, that is probably one of my favourite chapters of Yakuza that I've experienced so far. It's perfectly paced, packed with a lot of turns - some expected, sure, but others definitely came out of left field, yet still made total sense, and managed to flip the narrative in an interesting way, all whilst managing to not tarnish the buildup - and puts the story it's trying to tell above all else. The fight in this chapter didn't last as long as I expected after the other boss fights in the game, and that was certainly a welcome surprise.

Loved it. 

Have the final chapter lined up for tomorrow. It's time for that showdown. I cannot wait. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this