NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

Yakuza Kiwami

Excellent, release it over here along with Kiwami 3, 4 and 5 and I'll buy them ALL on PS4 and finally play the series. :D

24 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Excellent, release it over here along with Kiwami 3, 4 and 5 and I'll buy them ALL on PS4 and finally play the series. :D

By the time they're released here you'll have a PS5 I'm sure.

This is one of those series that I've always meant to jump into but never have because I'm not sure if I need to play the others, if I should just jump into later ones because they have better mechanics etc.  So confused.

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

By the time they're released here you'll have a PS5 I'm sure.

This is one of those series that I've always meant to jump into but never have because I'm not sure if I need to play the others, if I should just jump into later ones because they have better mechanics etc.  So confused.

I really hope not but you're probably right. :hmm:

I keep warming to the idea of having all of the Yakuza games in the series available in boxed, physical form in my PS4 library so that I can easily get into them. :D

If it happens that the PS5 will end up having native PS4 support then, this would be less of a problem though I suppose but I was hoping to not have to buy any more consoles for a good while.

The way I see it, is that if these titles continue to be released in enhanced form on the PS4 then it would make the most sense to start with Zero and then play all the games Chronologically being that the remakes seem to have enhanced engines based on the later games. :)

Anyone getting Kiwami 1 next week then? I've got it preordered but I still have a few chapters left of Zero to finish before I can move onto it.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Anyone getting Kiwami 1 next week then? I've got it preordered but I still have a few chapters left of Zero to finish before I can move onto it.

I would but:

1.I need to finish 0

2. It's a steel book and they have no business being on my shelf. :D

My copy of Kiwami arrived this morning. Still slowly working through the last chapters of Zero though at the moment. I think I've got about 3 left.

Think I'm coming up to the end of Yakuza Kiwami, the story is really picking up. I havent decided what to do for the next game yet. Its either play the PS2 version of 2, wait for Kiwami 2 or play 3 and watch the recap of 2 then just play Kiwami 2 when it comes out.

I'm kind of interested to watch the Yakuza 1 recap now as well with the old graphics and see the differences.

Figured I would bring this back to the top as @Hero of Time is about to start Kiwami and @nekunando may start soon.

I expect the story in this one will have even more of an impact after just playing Zero. They did a great job building up more of a backstory for the characters in Zero so the events of one mean even more.

• Thanks 1

I think a got 5 chapters into Kiwami before I stopped. Going from Yakuza 6 back to the Yakuza 0 engine is gonna be wierd.

My copy was waiting for me when I got in from work this evening. I fired it up as soon as I got in and have just started chapter 4. That will be me done for the night, methinks.

Spoiler

Poor Kiryu can't catch a break. Dude keeps getting screwed over left and right! He reminds me of Jack Bauer, a hard as nails character who does the right thing but always gets stabbed in the back. 

Nishiki the SOB! I had my suspicions about him in Zero but he turned out to be alright in that game. Clearly that's not the case here. The smug git gave a cheeky smile as Kiryu was pegging it out of the funeral.

The little lass has made an appearance but I've yet to see what her role is. I'm gonna assume it has something to do with Yumi? Maybe her kid?

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

My copy was waiting for me when I got in from work this evening. I fired it up as soon as I got in and have just started chapter 4. That will be me done for the night, methinks.

Chapter 1-3 Spoilers (Hide contents)

Poor Kiryu can't catch a break. Dude keeps getting screwed over left and right! He reminds me of Jack Bauer, a hard as nails character who does the right thing but always gets stabbed in the back. 

Nishiki the SOB! I had my suspicions about him in Zero but he turned out to be alright in that game. Clearly that's not the case here. The smug git gave a cheeky smile as Kiryu was pegging it out of the funeral.

The little lass has made an appearance but I've yet to see what her role is. I'm gonna assume it has something to do with Yumi? Maybe her kid?

Spoiler

This is where I think it really helps to have played Zero first. Nishki's betrayal was handled well in 1 but when you have the Zero backstory and see how strong their bond was its so much worse :cry:

Well, I ended up playing another chapter. I'm now on chapter 5. I'm really gonna stop playing now...maybe. :D 

• Like 2

Majima is flat out hilarious in this game. The way he keeps popping up out of nowhere slays me. Still, his character seems a little unhinged compared to Zero. There was a certain swag about him in that game but it seems to have disappeared in this one.

Boss fights are a little annoying in Kiwami. I don't like how they keep powering up and getting some of their health back.

I told a lad at work how amazing the story of Zero was. He's not a huge gamer but he decided to watch a play through of it on YouTube. He came in this morning gushing about how amazing the story has been ( he watched up to chapter 7) and said he couldn't wait to get home and see what happens next.

I also told one of my mates how good it is and he ordered Zero off of Amazon on Tuesday. I'm spreading the word. :D 

• Like 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Boss fights are a little annoying in Kiwami. I don't like how they keep powering up and getting some of their health back.

Its been a while since I played it but I think you have to watch what colour they are when powering up and using the same type of power then you can stop that health regen and use a special heat move.....I think. I know its not very well explained in the game.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Its been a while since I played it but I think you have to watch what colour they are when powering up and using the same type of power then you can stop that health regen and use a special heat move.....I think. I know its not very well explained in the game.

Cheers. I'll give it a try in my next boss fight.

I reached chapter 9 this evening.

Spoiler

Haruka is adorable. I loved the section where you played the dice game with her. Cheating SOBs!

Speaking of sons a bitches, Nishiki is a right nasty piece of work in this. Part of me does feel sorry for him though. Living in Kiryu's shadow and people pointing out he is worthless all the time no doubt took its toll.

I wasn't a fan of chapter 6 ( Father and Child ). The whole chapter felt like filler and unnecessary. 

7 hours ago, nekunando said:

Hmm.. I've been looking at this on the PlayStation Store tonight..

Time well spent, I assume? :p

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Time well spent, I assume? :p

Have you played any of these games? If not I highly recommend you give Zero a go at some point. I think you will really enjoy the narrative. 

56 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Have you played any of these games? If not I highly recommend you give Zero a go at some point. I think you will really enjoy the narrative. 

I think I started Yakuza 4 of them on PS3 years ago (I might even have a physical copy somewhere) but never played more than 20 minutes. No idea why. Probably because it's not the beginning of the story.

I guess Zero is basically the start of the entire saga?

13 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I think I started Yakuza 4 of them on PS3 years ago (I might even have a physical copy somewhere) but never played more than 20 minutes. No idea why. Probably because it's not the beginning of the story.

I guess Zero is basically the start of the entire saga?

Yeah. I know the original Yakuza game on the PS2 was the actual start of the series but playing Kiwami at the moment makes me question how good it would have been without the build up that Zero gives. The events in Kiwami certainly have more impact after playing Zero and had I played Kiwami first then I imagine I wouldn't have been half as invested as I have been.

• Thanks 2

Sounds good.

Maybe the next game I'll buy. Have to wait until June, though. Lots of stuff to do in real life (urgh :laughing:) and until that is finished it's only backlog for me :D 

I'm starting to think I want to see a Yakuza/Godzilla spin off. I want to see Kiryu punch Godzilla in the face. Godzilla must be wearing a flashy suit at this point as well.

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this