NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (all eras)

To sum it up: “we’ve got nothing PR will let us say now other than we’re working on it. So, yeah, we’re working on it.”

Game’s practically in an advanced beta stage. My recommendation is holding off for a while until some major updates come the game’s way if you still intend to play the game.

They didn’t even answer the questions which had been upvoted most for visibility, which definitely gives off vibes that there are still things that they’re hiding from us.

Waste of an IP.

I was wary of it before launch but the extent the loot box system extends through the entire game sounds absurd for a game that isn't free up front, even compared to other examples this year. If it went actually free-to-play a year from now I would not be completely shocked - and it'd be the right thing to do. 

It seems there's been quite a bit activity during the night in regards to the loot boxes and microtransactions in the game. Firstly, a lot of mainstream news outlets, such as BBC and CNN, started reporting about how the game has these things in it. Secondly, the Belgium government has also started investigating the gaming due to the loot boxes and it's connection to gambling. Lastly, the CEO of Disney had a meeting with the CEO of EA. I imagine Disney aren't happy that they are being linked with this negative publicity and gambling accusations. This has forced EA to temporarily remove the microtransactions from the game until they can come up with an alternative. However..

This has to be one of the craziest lead up to the launch of a game that i've ever witnessed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The saga continues...

Credit to /u/kravguy on reddit for this information (semi-confirmed EA insider). Here is a rundown of what's currently going on in Hell, aka EA's headquarters: Microtransactions are going to be reintroduced, that is a GIVEN. Right now, there are two options on the table:

1.) Micro-transactions will be cosmetic ONLY. This is the less popular option, and really the only way this option will be implemented is if community outcry is both loud enough and sustained. If they CAN get away with it, they'll try like hell to.

2.) Microtransactions will be used to purchase specific star card and cosmetic packages/bundles. This is so that technically the gambling aspect is removed from multiplayer (as a side note, available for purchase will be "boost" packages, i.e. boosts in XP/credits.

This is coming no matter what, this was determined way before BFII's launch or the controversy). Worth mentioning is the fact that EA/Disney did not change because their "morals" compelled them to. It was pure community backlash (Reddit, news articles, etc.). NOTHING is set in stone YET. This is a PR stunt, they will see whether or not the controversy dies down, and if it does, option #2 is coming, and this time, it will take heaven, hell, and New Jersey to make them change the new system.

So, KEEP ON FIGHTING. I'm talking Youtube videos, posts on forums and Reddit, Twitter hashtags, PSA's on Facebook, the whole 9 yards. Disney only made EA give their statement because it was right before Christmas AND right before The Last Jedi release. Bad Star Wars press of any kind=less ticket sales=pissed off Mouse House. As soon as TLJ and the Christmas season are under way, expect EA to reintroduce micro-transaction that will, once again, greatly affect multiplayer negatively UNLESS we continue to demand the game we were promised!

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As much as everyone likes to talk about the negatives of George Lucas, he never would have let anything like this happen.

I think it’s great that this conversation is throwing some players through a loop regarding the futures of other franchises (i.e. the next Battlefield). So great to see players taking a stand more than ever before: this has to be done, and this has to be won, otherwise the industry only gets worse from here.

I feel like whatever happens it will only be temporary.

This is only being successful because all the outrage is being directed at one game. Once this passes, everyone will continue trying to sneak in microtransactions, and it'll be harder and harder to keep up the outrage for so many games and for so long.

The sheer amount of money that these type of games produce through microtransactions means that no large company will want to just leave it on the table, and so it will become more and more common for the AAA games.

When it gets to that stage, the few people left boycotting won't make a difference, and loot boxes etc will become the norm.

Aside from making it illegal (somehow in every country across the world), I don't really see what can be done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bob said:

I feel like whatever happens it will only be temporary.

This is only being successful because all the outrage is being directed at one game. Once this passes, everyone will continue trying to sneak in microtransactions, and it'll be harder and harder to keep up the outrage for so many games and for so long.

The sheer amount of money that these type of games produce through microtransactions means that no large company will want to just leave it on the table, and so it will become more and more common for the AAA games.

When it gets to that stage, the few people left boycotting won't make a difference, and loot boxes etc will become the norm.

Aside from making it illegal (somehow in every country across the world), I don't really see what can be done.

Sadly, this is exactly the way I see it. Gamers have become far too accepting of certain practices and those who are ill-informed or have no issues with this kind of stuff far outnumber those who do. Casual gamers are the ones who dictate the market and that has pretty much always been the case. It's why back in the day something like Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? topped the Christmas gaming charts ( i'll never forget that :D ) , why the Wii was such a success and why franchised games continue to dominate the charts.

• Like 3

According to a source that wishes to remain anonymous, Disney talked with top-level EA executives over the growing backlash (something that was corroborated by The Wall Street Journal who reported that Consumer Products and Interactive Media boss Jimmy Pitaro sent a message to EA about their concerns) regarding Star Wars Battlefront II’s bad press when it comes to loot crates, and how some see it as “gambling.”

Based on the info we received, it states that both parties agreed that the Battlefront II microtransactions model needs to be revamped to stave off further backlash. Also, it mentions how Disney was “unhappy” with how long EA took effective action regarding the situation since it has evolved enough that the backlash could potentially harm the Star Wars IP given The Last Jedi is hitting theaters soon. 

Possibly the biggest thing though, is how Disney apparently gave a less-than-direct threat that EA could lose the Star Wars publishing exclusivity rights if things didn’t improve. The House of Mouse had concerns about the exclusivity deal with EA due to the press backlash, investigations regarding gambling, and the bad press involved.

Disney must have been well annoyed with this whole thing if they threatened to take back the publishing rights. Shame it didn't happen. :p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Disney must have been well annoyed with this whole thing if they threatened to take back the publishing rights. Shame it didn't happen. :p 

Let’s see how things go with Respawn’s game first :p there’s still nearly six years for Disney to revoke the license (which I absolutely see happening).

Elsewhere, someone asked Mark Hamill on Twitter why he wasn’t voice-acting Luke in the game (his Luke voice is very much still there, if the last few Celebrations are much to go by), to which he responded that he wasn’t even asked.

What?!

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kav said:

Good stuff. Happy to see many have voted with their wallets. I see CoD out sold it as well, despite being out for 3 weeks.

So I caved and bought it because it's Star Wars season and I needed something to stop me spending money on other things. Anyway, the game is actually pretty good. Not sure if it's the newly increased internet speed at my house but I'm performing much better than the previous instalment. The maps are good, heroes are great (Kylo Ren is a beast!), and the single-player story has been enjoyable - if it'd been fleshed out and made a bit longer it could've been quite epic, but as it stands I'd just say good and enjoyable. It's been really fun and enlightening finding out what happens after Return of the Jedi. 

Now they've removed micro-transactions, unlocking stuff is fine.

• Thanks 2

So I caved and bought it because it's Star Wars season and I needed something to stop me spending money on other things. Anyway, the game is actually pretty good. Not sure if it's the newly increased internet speed at my house but I'm performing much better than the previous instalment. The maps are good, heroes are great (Kylo Ren is a beast!), and the single-player story has been enjoyable - if it'd been fleshed out and made a bit longer it could've been quite epic, but as it stands I'd just say good and enjoyable. It's been really fun and enlightening finding out what happens after Return of the Jedi. 

you-were-supposed-to-destroy-the-sith-not-join-them.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, somme said:

giphy.gif

:p

• Like 5

Haha, yes I realise I have essentially joined the dark side. :laughing:

Anyway, the game is continuing to impress. The single player had a mission after I thought it'd finished, seemed like it ended with a possible hint towards a Last Jedi plot, but wasn't fleshed out enough to be a proper spoiler, perfect balance really.

The Mos Eisley 40-player map is breathtaking. Some of the maps do seem a little forgettable but there are some amazing Star Wars set pieces to play in here. 

Hopefully, EA will sort everything out enough for players to return, it's actually really fun. 

Edited by somme
  • Thanks 1

Go Belgium!

Last week, Belgium's Gaming Commission announced that it had launched an investigation into whether the loot boxes available for purchase in games like Overwatch and Star Wars Battlefront 2 constitute a form of gambling. Today, VTM News reported that the ruling is in, and the answer is yes. 

The Google translation is a little sloppy, as usual, but the message is clear enough. "The mixing of money and addiction is gambling," the Gaming Commission declared. Belgium's Minister of Justice Koen Geens also weighed in, saying, "Mixing gambling and gaming, especially at a young age, is dangerous for the mental health of the child." 

Geens, according to the report, wants to ban in-game purchases outright, and not just in Belgium: He said the process will take time, "because we have to go to Europe. We will certainly try to ban it." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"Mixing gambling and gaming, especially at a young age, is dangerous for the mental health of the child." 

Yes. That is what I've been concerned about, as well.

Really hope the ban will go through, but I'm not that optimistic.

• Like 2

Review by Dunkey. Seems there’s a little more wrong than the standard single player campaign and loot crate stuff...

Got given this on Saturday as a birthday gift. Had I known it was coming I might have asked for something else, but it’s Star Wars so I can’t complain too much.

Campaign is meh. It’s extremely repetitive, and doesn’t really do much to further anything in terms of canon lore. It’s a huge missed opportunity.

The crates and cards system are terrible, and become extremely evident in Heroes v. Villains. It really does ruin the balance the game and it really does make it feel unfair if you come up against someone and lose simply because they got better cards from the loot crates than you did.

The visuals are amazing, and it’s great that there’s more great Star Wars music in this one.

This had the potential to be a great game, but the poorly executed campaign, micro-transactions and consequent balancing issues really tarnish the experience.

Well I've been playing since launch and have had a great time. The story was fine, wasn't expecting more than we got. 

Having legendary star cards doesn't help you that much really. A skilled player with no star cards could still beat an average to bad player with all star cards unlocked. 

On the whole, I've found this to be much more enjoyable than the first.

Some big updates are on their way, most noticeably a revamped progression system. 

Courtesy of the official website:

We're working on a revamped progression system. Your feedback has been essential here, and we are preparing significant changes to progression that will address many of the things we've seen players asking for. We'll be sharing more details about these changes in March.  

A game mode called Jetpack Cargo is coming in February.  Two teams of eight players  equipped with jet packs compete in Jetpack Cargo, a frantic, fast-paced way to play. This mode will only be available for a limited time, so don’t miss it.

• A new Season is coming soon. We’ve learned a lot from the first season of content for Star Wars  Battlefront II, and we're integrating those insights into our plans moving forward. We know you’re waiting for details on what’s coming in the next season, and we’ll have more to tell you soon.

Edited by Julius Caesar

I see Tesco are selling this for £10 in store. Now that the microtransactions have been ditched and its come down to this price I may actually pick it up and give it a whirl.

I’ve been thinking about getting it since E3. Might grab a copy if I see it that price.

I nipped out at half time and picked up the last copy at my local Tesco store.

Dgj28VRXcAAn_Y-.jpg

I also picked up this, which was also £10

Dgj4_odX0AAVqSH.jpg

Figured I would give it a shot, especially as it has all the DLC with it.

They had a bunch of other games on sale for a tenner ( Destiny 2, Shadow of War )  on both the PS4 and One. Probably worth checking out your local stores if you are after some of these games.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this