NEurope
drahkon

Gwent: The Witcher Card Game (PC/XB1/PS4)

Couldn't find a thread for the game. If I missed it feel free to delete this one.

Beta Registration (PC and Xbox One only).

CD Projekt will host a Gwent: The Witcher Card Game technical beta on PlayStation 4 this weekend.

You can play the game from 6pm UK time on Friday, 31st March until 8am UK time on Monday, 3rd April. To get in all you have to do is go to the PlayStation Store and download the game (you'll need about 3GB of space). A PlayStation Plus subscription is not required.

The Technical Beta build lets you create your own decks, play the tutorial and online casual matches. Real currency purchases are disabled. After the beta ends, accounts will be deleted. CD Projekt said it wants the beta to test how the game works on PS4 with many users playing at the same time, so there may be technical glitches.

Eurogamer.net

I registered for the beta some time ago but never played it. Now that there will be a test on PS4 I'll give it a go :)

Hopefully this means the game will be released pretty soon. Feel like I've been waiting for this for an eternity.

I've been looking forward to this for ages. I have been following the game account on twitter for ages and it seems to be taking forever to be released.

I think I would have liked Gwent to be released on mobile if i'm being honest.

A few of my mates seemed to love Gwent and whilst it was definitely an aspect of the few hours I gave The Witcher that I may felt made most sense and I enjoyed I can't say that I found it especially enthralling. I wonder if it evolves a bit more later as you get more cards etc - but why would anyone who had The Witcher want to turn over to this particularly? I assume it'll have some online/multi options etc?

Having said all that I'll probably still try and give it a test on the PS4 if that happens, if the online's good and enough of my mates get it(and the price is right) I might get sucked into it.

I absolutely loved Gwent.

Infact its the only major mini game I have truly enjoyed. I couldn't really careless for Blitzball in FFX for example.

I've been playing a lot of hearthstone lately so I'll download this and give it a try.

Played and won my first match with a Skellige deck. A lot more advanced than the base game that's for sure, but a lot of fun as well. Was a bit overwhelmed with the all the cards available, but I assume that's just for the beta.

Completed the tutorials, played a match against an AI and lost.

I need the full game. I need it now!

Downloaded the beta and I LOVE IT. I need it naow.

The Witcher's universe is incredible. It's awesome looking at the cards and being able to identify where and when they appear in the universe.

I was a bit gutted that the Gwent music from The Witcher 3 wasn't in the beta...until I found that it was disabled in the settings, for some reason. I've enabled it and it's just brilliant having those tunes back.

HEEEEEY! HUH HUH HEEEEEEEEEEY!

Really like it, but everyone I've played against seems to have spent hours on building a deck (or used a guide...). It took me 20 minutes to build a deck I think is good but everybody online has decks that destroy me...::shrug:

Hope it'll be much different in the full release when you don't have access to all the cards immediately and matchmaking is more balanced as a result.

Really like it, but everyone I've played against seems to have spent hours on building a deck (or used a guide...). It took me 20 minutes to build a deck I think is good but everybody online has decks that destroy me...::shrug:

Hope it'll be much different in the full release when you don't have access to all the cards immediately and matchmaking is more balanced as a result.

I've spent most of my time playing against the AI. I played one match online and lost by something stupid like...3 points or something. Won the first round, lost the second and then lost the final round by barely nothing.

Building your deck seems to be the key. I'm definitely going to be playing the full release, so I hope that it is fairly balanced out. I'm sure it will be.

CD Projekt GOAT.

I just used the starter decks and won like half the time. Although I haven't played that many times, I'll wait for the actual release before investing more time into it.

I've played a few games today and quite enjoyed it. Started out with the starter decks in Practice mode, won most of my games (struggled a bit with one of the decks at first, but then managed to win a game with that too).

Once I won at least one game with all the starter decks in Practice mode, I decided to assemble my own deck and try multiplayer mode. Think I managed to get a pretty good set of cards together, as I won most of my online games.

My first one was really close and I thought I won when I played my last card... but then the spy they had put on my board switched back to their side and that made them steal the win from me! :(

I imagine once the real game is released you will have to earn cards, because it wouldn't make sense for all of them to be available from the start. Plus the rewards you earn seem to imply you can create cards, so I imagine that's how it will work.

I can see this becoming a nice little game to play when I have half an hour with nothing to do or something. :)

jpg

Gwent: The Witcher Card Game will enter open beta on 24th May on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

The collectible card battler has been available in closed beta for a while. Sadly, if you've been playing so far, your progress is about to be reset.

I think I deleted the client from my PS4. :shakehead Well, no big deal downloading it again :D

Asked on Twitter if we'll be able to play against friends. Will let you know if I get a response.

Edited by drahkon

Awesome. Can't wait to play it again. Also hope this means an actual release is not far away.

I hope we all start from scratch though, unlike the last beta.

I hope we all start from scratch though, unlike the last beta.

Not sure. I can see us having access to all cards again.

There have been a lot of changes to cards since last time from what I've read. By giving access to all cards the devs can observe the balance more easily.

Quick reminder: The open beta starts today. No official starting time has been given, though.

Looks like this is basically Gwent 1.0. Whatever you do in the beta carries over to the final release.

There are also 3 avatars and a theme to get from the PSN store. Not sure if they've been there since the closed beta. The theme is pretty cool.

Been playing this since I got home today and I love it. So much fun. Been using the Scoia'tael deck only, beaten the respective challenges and won 22 rounds, most matches won I think, some lost.

I had forgotten this was actually free-to-play. Not going to spend any money myself on microtransactions like these(would have paid for the actual game though...), but I don't think it will be much of a problem. I only met one person, the first I met though, that I suspect spent a lot of real life money.

Might as well play a little every day instead, and win at least six rounds, then you will earn one keg/five cards. Which is fine by me since I planned on playing it a little every now and then. You can also mill bronze cards that you own more than three of, and silver/gold more than one, for gems to make/duplicate new cards. Or just mill every card for factions you're not going to use I guess :p

Edited by Tales

So is anyone else playing this? I hope the fact it is f2p doesn't scare any off. I have seen some people complaining about paywall and pay to win, but I could not possible disagree more. It's free to play, but it is not pay to win. I have only used the starter deck and I've already assembled a decent deck through crafting and cards recieved from game. So far, on ranked matches, I've won 7 games and lost 10. If the opponent has paid to win I don't know, but it's not a deciding factor. Luck and skill is more important.

Anyway, I'm having a great time with it.

I did a couple challenges in the game last night before bed. I could see it taking up some time whenever I have a spare few minutes to kill

New patch out today with new cards, balance adjustments and a pretty huge change to gold cards(they're now targetable) but also friend matches on PS4! If anyone else play this send me an invite :)

Has this been properly released now? Last time I heard it was in beta?

Still beta. But although two of the patches(one going from closed beta) have introduced major changes, it's still very a full game in my opinion. The beta part essentially just mean that you must be prepared for the cards to be changed every now and then,

I want to play this, but I've already convinced myself to wait for it to finish being in beta. Do we have any idea how long this will take? It feels like a million years already.