NEurope
Charlie

Rumour (4chan): Nintendo Direct on April 1st

Honestly, if all of this was true then I would certainly be eyeing up a Switch a lot sooner than I expected.

TTYD is an absolute masterpiece and the pinnacle of the Paper Mario series. So being able to play that in HD and on a handheld would be amazing.

I don't like the sound of the way around the lack of analogue triggers. If GC games do come to the Switch they had better release a set of GC joycons. I don't see why they wouldn't do this. Surely it would be easy money for them?

Personally I'm very interested in that arguable modular design with the joy cons - that you might be able to attach other peripherals such as GC ones with triggers/sticks to it. I don't think we'll see it in reality though due to the potential clunkyness of the GC 'halves' on each side of the Switch - though I haven't touched a Switch since the 3rd so I'm not best placed to judge that now.

I think rather than having Switch remakes an up-scaled emulation of GC title will really be a pull for some people. The GC had some classic titles(including, as you mention TTYD, though I still place SMRPG above all) and the idea of GC gaming on the go could really pull me in - depending on the PRICE POINT of GC games for the system. Where would people's acceptability on costs be? N64 was ~£7 iirc with the Wii, and I wouldn't be willing to break too much more than £10 a GC game these days myself tbh. However it'd certainly be something to draw me towards Switch - especially if there were multiplayer titles going for it. I guess the real challenge on all of this moving forwards however is the internal storage - with just 32GB presumably not all of which is available exactly how many of these titles might one be able to acquire before resorting to deleting and shuffling etc?

Easy access GC HD remakes however would definitely get me drawn in - give me some HD(even 480p) Melee with at least local multiplayer(maybe a grand excuse for GC-style joycons) or even with online multiplayer and you'll definitely sell a few more systems with it imo.

Surely measuring how long you press the triggers for would be a better solution than simply configuring them to do one type of button pressure. It takes longer to press an analogue trigger all the way down so surely they can translate how long you hold a button to how much pressure you would be exerting. It obviously wouldn't work for racing games but I think it would be a decent solution for games like Dark Souls that only use have two outcomes, a light attack from a light press or a strong attack for a strong press.

Kimishima mentioned peripherals as a major part of Nintendo's business for the Switch going forward so I think it's inevitable that we'll see some sort of different joy con controllers. I don't think it would be too bulky with GC joy cons Rummy, but they're bound to be differently shaped than the typical GC controller. I think they'll keep the standard joy con shape but implement the bean shaped button layout of the GC and the buttons will be smaller than on the original controller but maybe a bit bigger than those on the joy cons right now. I'd be happy to pay up to about £12 for GC games, up to £15 if they included the improvements and upgrades that you mention but I don't think that Nintendo would do that, I think it would take a change in philosophy to see HD upgrades as standard with VC titles. We're likely to at least get progressive scan as standard on all releases that supported it though as they now seem to realise people in Europe are demanding the best version of the software that was available after the 50/60HZ debacle.

I'd be very interested in a VC reveal. More so in whether purchases will carry over in some form or another.

I'd gladly trade in my Wii U if I can play my games on the Switch. Otherwise I'll be completing my backlog first.

They could potentially knock out cheap GC joy cons, stripping back the tech as GC games wouldn't require it. Would need a sleeker interface though to keep in with the switches looks.

I like your £10 price point.

Edited by DuD
Automerged Doublepost

Considering that N64 VC games are £9.99 and Wii games were sold for £17.99 on Wii U, £13.99 for GCN games sounds about right.

Maybe.. hopefully they have sales where they go for much cheaper, similar to when the wii games were introduced for £9.

I picked up quite a few bargains, including Metroid Prime Trilogy

I think most multiplayer gc games having an online component would be awesome :) Assuming that doesn't stay with just nes/snes games.

The analogue trigger 'solution' from the rumour is one of the main things that make this all less believable as I don't believe it would be a solution Nintendo would be content with!

While I suspect L and R may represent the digital clicks from pressing down a GC trigger fully, I would imagine each game would have to be tailored to suit when pressing ZL or ZR. For example, in games like Wave Race: Blue Storm and F-Zero GX, a combination of pressing ZL or ZR and tilting the controller like a steering wheel would work while perhaps Super Mario Sunshine would perhaps require you to tilt the controller up and down instead to control the pressure of FLUDD :smile:

Link for anyone who missed it

tumblr_nkjlk8eKUH1unkiiao1_250.gif

No! That's impossible!

Seriously though, why was this thread made in the first place?

Are you surprised that Nintendo fans remain in a constant state of optimism that good things are on the horizon? ;)

Are you surprised that Nintendo fans remain in a constant state of optimism that good things are on the horizon? ;)

But that game's a Playstation exclusive.

Why would they look there?

To be fair to Charlie he was only trying to pass on something that may have been of interest, and did mention it might have been an April Fools in the first post.

Now personally I hate all forms of lies and deceit, and thought this ruse was unimaginative and predictable, but Charlie shouldn't get the flak for it.

Link for anyone who missed it

Can't believe I fell for it!

Maybe consider discussing the actual potential of a Direct given the recent release of the Switch? It's hard to expect people to be positive about Nintendo on this forum if you're going to shut them down on semantics of days/dates for a Direct rather than actually having and fostering a conversation around the subject matter. Why should people bother to even post something potentially positive and speculative if they're going to be told it's not even likely possible before it's even had a chance? Why even bring it up - is it going to further discussion or just satify egos in being correct?

Let's suppose it's true - what are you guys looking forward to potentially hearing about? Or not? What are thoughts of TTYD as a supposed HD title? Do we think it might be a Switch specific remake or potentially an up scaling of Gamecube games/emulation? I know ofc that Dolphin has the capabilities as an emulator of outputting greater definition than the GC actually did - so I wouldn't consider it technically impossible and in fact I think it might actually be quite a good draw for them if they can upscale the old GC titles without too much work.

Seriously though, why was this thread made in the first place?

Perhaps because this forum needs some genuine discussion in it for a change that doesn't revolve around "that won't happen", "not true", "never going to happen?" It's a discussion forum, not the front page of a newspaper. We're meant to talk about things and even if you thought the Direct wasn't going to happen there is still a discussion to be had, as highlighted by Rummy's very good post I've quoted too.

Is that a good enough reason for you? I'm just about to make another thread regarding something completely different, but I'll PM you first to make sure it's high enough quality for you.

So when are we banning Charlie?

: peace:

Perhaps because this forum needs some genuine discussion in it for a change that doesn't revolve around "that won't happen", "not true", "never going to happen?"

One could argue that given that intention, choosing an obvious hoax as the subject might not have been the most ideal method.

It's a discussion forum, not the front page of a newspaper. We're meant to talk about things and even if you thought the Direct wasn't going to happen there is still a discussion to be had, as highlighted by Rummy's very good post I've quoted too.

Is that a good enough reason for you? I'm just about to make another thread regarding something completely different, but I'll PM you first to make sure it's high enough quality for you.

Alright, no need to get sarky. That's my thing.

I apologise. Looking back, what I said was a bit harsh.

One could argue that given that intention, choosing an obvious hoax as the subject might not have been the most ideal method.

We're living in post-truth now. Get with the regime.

You say obvious hoax but no one was saying that when the 4chan leak about the Switch reveal was spot on.

Hindsight is wonderful.

You say obvious hoax but no one was saying that when the 4chan leak about the Switch reveal was spot on.

Hindsight is wonderful.

To be fair, April 1st, as a date, turns everything into an obvious hoax.

Edited by Jonnas

To be fair, April 1st, as a date, turns everything into an obvious hoax.

What about this one from 2 years ago?

What about this one from 2 years ago?

But was this announced shortly ahead of time only by someone on 4chan?

Hindsight is wonderful.

Geez, I've apologised. Stop throwing punches!

And that Direct you posted is not the same scenario.

I think it's safe to say this thread is done as it's not really yielding much in the way or useful nor particularly Nintendo related discussion, so I'm just gonna go and lock it up. Any objections send through on PM or post on my wall.