NEurope
Choze

Destiny 2

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

First DLC pack is out tomorrow. I'm looking forward to delving back into the game.

Well that’s shit timing, I’ll be away from my PS4 until next week

I've reconciled myself to the fact that Destiny 2 will not have the same longevity and replayability as Destiny 1. With that in mind, I can play the new DLC and enjoy it for what it is, rather than for what it could have been. Then I can put the game down again and play something else.

For all the current disappointment and negative feelings around the current state of Destiny 2 (specifically around the end-game and PvP), the core content and gameplay is still very good. There's just no incentive to replay it or grind a la Destiny 1.

• Like 1

I honestly wouldn't even say the core content is good. The strikes aren't great, the PvP is dull, the Raid is...okay. The actual gameplay? The slow recharge times are a strange decision, the lack of class customisation is absolutely awful, the exotics are terrible, the way special and power weapons work are catastrophically bad. It goes beyond lacking replayability, it's actually just a bad game.

With about the same amount of story as Destiny 1, and all the lore gutted from it.

The art direction and sound/music are excellent though.

Edited by Daft

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I thought 2 was better than 1 in nearly all aspects personally.

Nearly everyone did when it came out.

Destiny 2 is absolutely lacking in one key area though - PvP. No matter what small changes they make, I can't see this becoming fun.

For anyone wanting a piece of entertainment from the days of D1 Trials, here's that fun vid where we played an insane Top 200 player:

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Nearly everyone did when it came out.

Destiny 2 is absolutely lacking in one key area though - PvP. No matter what small changes they make, I can't see this becoming fun.

I hated PvP in Destiny 1. I actually started to enjoy my time with it in 2.

I hated PvP in Destiny 1. I actually started to enjoy my time with it in 2.
Well did you ever do trials? Because that's what I'm talking about.

D2 is teamshooting and primary weapons...it gets boring really quick.

I got so burnt out with the grind on D1 that i couldn't even stomach buying D2. It looks like I made the right decision.

Just now, Blade said:

I got so burnt out with the grind on D1 that i couldn't even stomach buying D2. It looks like I made the right decision.

The grind has been massively lessened in D2.

D2 is a massive failure for me and many others. I spent thousands of hours on D1 but they really messed up D2. The initial run through the main story is great, and the raid was pretty fun, but beyond that the endgame is trash. The PvP is terrible and limited, hell you can't even pick which mode you want to play. They don't make you chase anything worth having in the end game except cosmetics, in an effort to push microtransactions/loot boxes. All the exotics are crap. Snipers are crap. Almost every primary is crap. They're also back to their cycle of communicating, promising more communication, then going dark for months.

And the new DLC looks crazy lacking too. No new raid, no pre-DLC content. I regret buying the special edition with the season pass because if I hadn't, I don't think I would've wanted to give them any more money at this point.

• Like 1

There are elements of D2 i prefer over similar elements of D1.  PvP has it's moments, but needs sorting out to be as competitive as D1's is/was.  I'm one for Crucible playlists, and the randomness of the modes is off-putting.  The 4v4 is a good idea, however i think the 6v6 option should remain in place for those who want it.  And have separate playlists for all the modes as before.

The strikes are decent, however the raid needs improving.  The Osiris add-on needs a new raid to freshen things up.  PvP needs refreshing, strikes need refreshing.  I've got to the routine of playing D2 for the daily/weekly stuff then putting it away until the following week.

@shorty there are a "new raid" on Leviathan ship and there will be another one further down the ship on the second DLC rather than a VEX theme raid. :/ 

I gave CoO a go. Got half way through the second mission before deciding to sprint all the way through it because it was so incredibly boring and I wanted to play Overwatch.

Started playing Curse of Osiris last night, but then realised that Bungie fucked up the HDR support for the Pro. Kinda want to wait until that's fixed before continuing, but then if they take ages doing so (in typical Bungie fashion) then I don't want to wait.

Don't even know how they managed to fuck this up, did not one person test it on the Pro?!

They nerfed my RNG... Haven't got an exotic engram from 7 or 8 public events since I got back on D2 yesterday and everyone used to complaining about me constantly getting them all the time lol.

Spoiler

On the subject of Curse of Osiris, It took me 2+ hours to finish 8 new story missions which involves me go on a wild goose chase around the solar system looking for Osiris, 3 new adventures and two new strikes which are actually a reskin of two new story missions on Mercury. Mercury map are a fucking joke cos you get one "most rewarding public event", one lost sector and lighthouse. Infinite Forest was a major letdown for me and other cos I thought it would be a horde-type Court of Oryx/Archon's forge but in various timelines and different enemy simulations. Also it's inaccessible to everyone in patrol unless you want to do the story mission or adventure. I didn't learn anything news about Osiris or rather Traveller now it's out of it's slumber. Did anyone establish a communication with it again? Nope. 

There are no endgame drops, just "Spendgame" drops in Eververse however I like the idea of season ornaments for your existing Vanguard/Crucible/IB/Trials/Faction armours but it's actually just different patterns/colours so it's not worth the grind to unlock them. I'm quite disappointing with the fact that there are no new weapon perks (beside exotic weapons perks) or mods in the DLC so the new CoO contents are still using the vanilla perks/mods. I know that Masterworks perk are gonna drop next Tue but it's just a random bonus boosted stats that can be rerolled.

I had no fucking clue on how to get those Vex weapons from the "crafting table" at the Lighthouse since there are no in-game steps for it so I had to find the steps from Reddit. (Finish 3x adventure and 1x heroic adventure, get a box from Brother "Osiris's #1 Fanboy" Vance and filling it with the materials from the public events/mercury chest).

TLDR Bungie dungoofed big time with Destiny 2...

Edited by DriftKaiser
  • Thanks 1

6 month bump. Anyone still playing occasionally?

Jumped back into it last week. Raced through Osiris (not very good. Infinite forest is tedious).

Warmind is ultimately short on campaign missions but felt more varied and has a larger area and collectibles to seek out. Warmind is honestly fun and likely worth the time and investment. It reminds me of a mini-TTK expansion in how it adds in world items to find and riddles to track things down. 

I think the grind has gotten worse though. 335 (I’m not to 336) is the first soft cap on blues and all my legendaries are 340 unless powerful rewards. 340 is a long way from 370 or 380 whichever is the hardcap. 

Bungie also still has no concept of how to balance combat for a single player. At 346 it should not be a struggle to do a recommended 300 power level heroic adventure, and yet it is. 

Edit: Oh and Iron Banner is going on right now. And either I lost a lot of skill or Bungie is outright lying that level advantages are disabled. The entire team I was on got absolutely slaughtered 

Edited by Nolan

Hmm cool. Just last night after only a couple weeks my little group was already tired of doing any more in destiny and are switching to EDF. 

Hopefully Year 2 brings something big like The Taken King. Hopefully Bungie pulls their heads out of their collective asses and learns how to balance heroic modifiers too. 

So they add 9 new skill path and supers to the existing 9 subclasses, a new weapon slot system where you can equips your weapons D1 style or D2 style or go crazy and equip all 3 shotguns at once (which shares the same ammo though), a new raid that change over the time so it never look the same as day 1, a new mode call Gambit which are a mix of PVP and PVP, Ingame Grimories/Triumphs and Collections, You could rebuy the legendaries that you just dismantled directly from the menu, 500 vault space. The story will revolves around Fallen and Awoken. 

Also they introduce a pass aka Annual pass which are the same thing as the Season Pass minus campaign/story missions and more endgame contents.  £60 for both Forsaken Expansion and Annual Pass. Won't surprise me if they are still gonna ask you another £60 for the Year 2 Season Pass. 

Bleh. 

Oh well at least shotguns and sniper rifles will be useful again. Their move to the heavy slot and the lack of ammo synths basically made them into non starters for me. 

Edited by Nolan

Won't surprised me if it came with 2 missions and two reskinned strikes based on the 2 missions like they did with last 2 DLCs. 

Even though I bought the special edition with the season pass, I haven't even bothered to install the last DLC. You fucked up, Bungie.

• Haha 1