NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

The best looking game of this generation

I'm currently playing through Horizon and I'm finding myself stopping every few seconds to just look at the sun's rays as they break through a group of trees. Sometimes I'll stop and look at how the wind brushes across the grass and there are also moments where I catch a view of the mountains and I'll just stop to gaze at it.

It's got to be one of the best looking games of this generation. Obviously, I thought the Witcher looked stunning in this respect for the same sorts of reasons as Horizon.

Is there a definitive "best graphics" or "style" of this generation of games and consoles? What are the contenders?

The problem with comparing graphics is that it's completely subjective.

The only way you can be fair is to compare actual graphical quality with no consideration for art style (For which I feel is far more important)

The problem there is that those graphically intensive games tend to look pretty samey and realistic.

I think Uncharted 4 is commonly seen as the best looking game of the generation on consoles. It's art style is more 'realistic' than Horizon's and because its a more linear game they can produce higher fidelity visuals. It was a similar situation with P.T which could employ such a highly detailed, high res style because it's so short and self contained.

I've got a feeling that by the end of the year a lot of people will be declaring Super Mario Odyssey the best looking game of the generation though.

For me, it's easily Horizon: Zero Dawn.

The way GG got everything looking so good in a mostly procedurally generated open world is nothing short of black magic. I imagine the game would have melted my eyes if I was playing on a Pro and a 4K TV.

Kojima usually makes amazingly good looking games, so with him using the Decima engine for his next game we could even see Horizon being surpassed before the generation is finished.

I'd be interested to go back to The Order, see how that compares. I'll have a proper think for my best looking game later.

I'd be interested to go back to The Order, see how that compares. I'll have a proper think for my best looking game later.

The Order is another good shout.

In terms of car games, both GT Sport and Forza Horizon 3 look amazing, as well.

At the start of the generation I was really impressed with how Ryse looked on the One. That has since been surpassed by other games, though.

Funny enough, I was thinking about The Order earlier today and how well that stands up against some of the current games.

I just spent 2-3 minutes just now getting a screen shot on Horizon. One thing I love about this generation is with regards to how many games contain photo modes. It's brilliant. I hope it becomes a standard thing and near enough all games have it.

A couple more that come to mind are Ratchet & Clank, Doom, Battlefield 1, Star Wars Battlefront and the Metro games.

I think my personal favourite will still be The Witcher 3 though.

Horizon: Zero Dawn without a doubt. Decima is a generation defining engine making the game look absolutely incredible.

Speaking of game/graphics engines: Are they limited to one style of graphics? E.g. could Decima do cell-shading?

I'm probably biased, and it's not out yet but.

dragon-quest-xi_2017_20k3m.jpg

dragon-quest-xi_2017_08jwi.jpg

(Dragon Quest XI)

I know the rest of the game often received fair criticism, but I always thought Just Cause 3 was incredible at creating vistas and amazing views.

I would often just hang in the parachute and enjoy looking to the horizon.

2795979-jc3_screenshot_parachuteovertown1_11_1418315496.12.2014.jpg

just-cause-3-ps4-2.png

pretty-place.jpg

The Order was pretty damn good looking. Shame about the rest of the game really.

My favourites have been:

Mass Effect Andromeda - It's not consistently great looking, but some of the in game cutscenes have amazing lighting.

Resident Evil 7 - The best looking horror game IMO.

The Last of Us - Looked stunning on PS3, I can only imagine it's better on PS4.

Until Dawn - Not quite as good as RE7, but still pretty good.

The problem with comparing graphics is that it's completely subjective.

The only way you can be fair is to compare actual graphical quality with no consideration for art style (For which I feel is far more important)

The problem there is that those graphically intensive games tend to look pretty samey and realistic.

Yeah, I find myself increasingly sharing this feeling; the first time you see an Unchartered 4 you're blown away by it, but there's a definite sense of diminishing returns with how big budget AAA games all look pretty similar; particularly with shared lighting and graphics engines and similar settings.

Mine would probably be

gif5.gif

The_Banner_Saga%2C_Travel_Bridge_screenshot.jpg

31002979396_6764a748b1_o.jpg

firewatch-screen-12-us-15jun15?$MediaCarousel_Original$

Looking foward to spamming that screenshot button in When Rime comes out too.

And nothing has blown me away like when I played the remaster of Journey for the first time

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT2_88842.jpg

Of all the games that chase realism, it's probably The Witcher that most impresses me. I actually think it's that it doesn't constantly ram home the great vistas and amazing graphics; so much of Velen is boggy, muddy, boring, that when the moments of awesome beauty or experimental art direction come they hit hard, they feel unexpected and earned, the same way that an amazing view or sunset in real life is amazing because they contrast the mundane everyday.

Rjt6K6T.jpg

Rjt6K6T.jpg

I've probably gone full retard...did you take that last one yourself?

Definitely Horizon for me. Honorable mentions going to Tearaway Unfolded (super cute) The Order (linearly beautiful) Dark Souls 3/Bloodborne both have a certain visceral beauty to them in my opinion.

I've probably gone full retard...did you take that last one yourself?

Haha nah man. I wish! I'm guessing from the resolution it was taken with some souped-up superwidescreen PC setup, with a cheeky free camera mod. When I inevitably go back for a second playthrough one day, I hope the PS4 version gets a camera mode patched in at some point like dat beautiful camera mode in Horizon / Uncharted 4.

Haha nah man. I wish! I'm guessing from the resolution it was taken with some souped-up superwidescreen PC setup, with a cheeky free camera mod. When I inevitably go back for a second playthrough one day, I hope the PS4 version gets a camera mode patched in at some point like dat beautiful camera mode in Horizon / Uncharted 4.

The one and only thing which would make The Witcher 3 even better would be a photo mode. I must have taken close to 200 pictures when playing that game and I only wish that I could just changed the angles slightly or used filters or removed the HUD, etc. Photo mode would have been perfect.

I'm getting cravings to go through the game again...

I know the rest of the game often received fair criticism, but I always thought Just Cause 3 was incredible at creating vistas and amazing views.

I would often just hang in the parachute and enjoy looking to the horizon.

2795979-jc3_screenshot_parachuteovertown1_11_1418315496.12.2014.jpg

just-cause-3-ps4-2.png

pretty-place.jpg

I only gave it a few hours(got hooked on Overwatch instead) but I have to say I did quite enjoy Just Cause 3's ART STYLE. I like how they're given it a generally vibrant look rather than the darker/duller realism you might get in those sort of games these days. Something about doing so much random destruction and chaos in the sunshine and vibrance of the world feels really quite fun. Like you're just fucking up some poor bastard's absolutely banging sunday afternoon constantly trying to overthrow the powers that be.

Agree with this. Horizon looks technically stunning but I prefer something with a bit more style and character, like Zelda, something that won't look dated in a few years. I'm constantly stopping every minute or so to take screenshots.

Otherwise, for best looking game of the gen, I'd suggest things like Inside, Firewatch, Paper Mario Colour Splash or No Man's Sky. All games that look beautiful and will stand the test of time. Uncharted 4 and The Order are great too though, and have more of a style than Horizon IMO.

Edited by Ronnie

After re-watching the trailer I think Red Dead Redemption 2 will be another title thats in the mix when people discuss the best looking game of this gen. Rockstar's games always seem to push the boundaries.

Yo! Let's Up because you can wear a duck hat:

screen696x696.jpeg

I'm easily impressed.

Actually, in many ways I Love Hue is one of the best visual games (as opposed to a game with the best visuals) this generation because its just so pleasing to look at:

LyvamzcbmDqFEfGSIwop_ASrPDEwdh5cbqt3xD2y373IzyYPOyRgdM75JWcKcDs77w=h900

I am quite partial to GTA V on the PC. I have it modded with some amazing graphics mods as well that make the game look more realistic than real life sometimes.