NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

JRPG's that actually give you a choice.

WVW69jmK4iE0nCsWN5

We've all been there. You're playing a JRPG of some kind and you're presented with a choice, it's probably a Yes or No choice. Naturally, it's bound to affect the fate of everyone involved.

Except, no, it doesn't. Not one bit. If you select the "No", you're either constantly asked the same question, completely ignored (Golden Sun loves this one) or in some cases, slapped with a Game Over (These normally show up when you make an incredibly stupid decision).

Either way, the plot ain't progressing until you agree to go along with it.

So, I'm curious. Are there any Japanese RPG's which have a choice that actually is a choice?

Because I am coming up with squat.

I specifically ask for Japanese ones because Western RPG's tend to favour choice that actually does stuff to the plot. So those are too easy.

Failing that, how about games that mock the whole "Choice" mechanic these games don't really have? The above screenshot being a great example.

It's from... surprise, surprise... Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. And it's not the only time...

WVW69jptxMAhBo2Mhe

No hasty decisions, now...

The previous PMD game, Blue Rescue Team, also pokes fun at it.

WVW69i4pz1Ygsv0GaT

Go on then, surprise me.

Chrono Trigger. The game has multiple endings so your choices affects which ending you get.

You can choose to kill Magus or not.

Chrono Trigger. The game has multiple endings so your choices affects which ending you get.

You can choose to kill Magus or not.

Well, I'm an idiot. How did I forget about Chrono Trigger?

Even ignoring the endings that are only reasonably achievable on New Game +, there's one big massive choice in that game.

It's perfectly possible to leave Crono dead. The main bloody character.

Now that I think about it, Final Fantasy VI has a smaller, similar situation.

Chances are, you killed Shadow on your first playthrough, you monster.

Which means you never find about his past.

I wonder if there are any more recent examples. The SNES was a long time ago.

Edited by Glen-i

Sign in to follow this