N-Europe

Simon Amstell: Carnage

Space

dlRI4SY.png

AVAILABLE ON IPLAYER (UK only I believe)

Set in a utopian 2067, Carnage looks back at a time when human beings ate other animals. For the young people of this time, the idea that their grandparents could have been complicit in a bloodbath of unnecessary suffering is wholly unimaginable. The film aims to break the taboo around Britain’s animal eating past, whilst showing compassion for a generation now seeking therapy to cope with the horror of their unthinkable actions. Carnage combines archive with original drama and is narrated by Simon Amstell, who gives a unique comedic peek into a future where animals live equally amongst humans.

Was trending on Twitter last night, the reaction seemed highly positive. It's a mockumentary that is said to be non-preachy. A lot of good press this morning.

Typically an emotive subject, comments please only after watching.

Thought this was a genuinely funny way of turning 'carnism' on its head. If veganism is going to take off we need more lighthearted polemics like this that expose the problems of the meat and dairy industry in a non-preachy way, whilst showing people that vegans have the humour and self-awareness to take the piss out themselves.

It was a similar experience to watching The Grand Budapest Hotel for me - it does that thing all great parodies do where the jokes are so silly and underhand that it isn't always clear who the targets are meant to be. Grinned throughout, and laughed outright a few times (Eastenders gag was a highlight). Well done Mr. Amstell.

Watched last night. Enjoyed it, did feel like a wake-up call. I do genuinely think future generations will look back and think today's animal farming is barbaric.

Hopefully Carnage will make most people who watch it contemplate their choices at least a little... it deserves a prime-time slot on BBC One.

It is usually eating meat which is the subject people have unshakable opinions on. When it comes to diary I do wonder if meat eaters have the same strong beliefs. I expect the vast majority, including many vegetarians, are unaware of the unpleasant side of egg and milk production... it really is a very sad business. In the last couple of years have been trying to reduce my dairy intake. Not had cow milk for months and prefer the many alternatives (rice, coconut, almond, hazelnut, soya). One in particular I recommend you can get in supermarkets is Koko (coconut based, tastes milk-like, not overly coconutty) which I heard about when it won a Peta award.

The main challenge for me is cheese as I love italian food, but I did actually like a vegan cheese I tried recently so I'm going to try harder when shopping in future. Vegan mayo is something I need to try. There is a site MyVeganSupermarket where you can find vegan alternatives and which supermarkets sell them.

On the meat side, it is so hard to buy ethically reared produce, pretty much everything is factory farmed in terrible conditions and this always bothered me. One of the main reasons I have always been vegetarian.

One in particular I recommend you can get in supermarkets is Koko (coconut based, tastes milk-like, not overly coconutty) which I heard about when it won a Peta award.

Is this a cut line from the film? :heh:

On the meat side, it is so hard to buy ethically reared produce, pretty much everything is factory farmed in terrible conditions and this always bothered me. One of the main reasons I have always been vegetarian.

Vegans would argue there isn't an ethical way to kill an animal, although you'd be right in saying there are different degrees of deprivation and brutality that go into farming practices. You could also argue animals have differing levels of intelligence, and differing capacities to experience pain, but my contention would be that to make a long, bespoke list of animals that are more acceptable to kill would be a strange way of justifying a meat-based diet.