NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dwarf

Survival/Battle royale games

As I did with Rocket League, I have now paid money for Fortnite Battle Royale. I got both games for free (well, Rocket League with PS+, which - technically - isn't "free") and got so much enjoyment out of them (and with Fortnite BR I will get more over the next few weeks) so I decided I'd give the devs something back.

Bought the Battle Pass which opens up a variety of challenges you can complete and lots of cool cosmetic stuff if you level up enough. I figured that buying this for 10 bucks is much better than buying one or two items for the same amount.

As I mentioned, this is the second time I used money for "microtransactions" or "cosmetic items" but in these cases the devs deserve it. :) The amount of effort that they put into those games is astounding.

Edited by drahkon

Korean game developer PUBG, a subsidiary of Bluehole, has filed a copyright violation lawsuit against U.S.-based Epic Games, asking a court to determine whether the latter's "Fortnite" was copied from the former's "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds."

A PUBG official said Friday that the firm filed an injunction, alleging copyright infringement, with the Seoul Central District Court against Epic Games Korea.

"We filed the suit to protect our copyright in January," said the official.

So, PUBG could be totally screwed. 

I literally just finished reading about the time Silicon Knights tried to sue Epic, who counter-sued. Epic won, and as a result, Silicon Knights had to recall all unsold copies of their games using the Unreal Engine. And guess who else uses the Unreal Engine? Yeah: PUBG.

Could someone please pass me the popcorn? :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 29/05/2018 at 9:33 AM, Julius Caesar said:

So, PUBG could be totally screwed. 

I literally just finished reading about the time Silicon Knights tried to sue Epic, who counter-sued. Epic won, and as a result, Silicon Knights had to recall all unsold copies of their games using the Unreal Engine. And guess who else uses the Unreal Engine? Yeah: PUBG.

Could someone please pass me the popcorn? :D 

It's a shame tbh, as I do think they were unfair to do Fortnite but then again can't you argue strong rights when you've licensed something to someone else? It's really on the edge imo. It'd be interesting to see to play out and the legal arguments made and judged - if anyone else happens to follow it down the line do please keep me informed!

4 minutes ago, Rummy said:

It's a shame tbh, as I do think they were unfair to do Fortnite but then again can't you argue strong rights when you've licensed something to someone else? It's really on the edge imo. It'd be interesting to see to play out and the legal arguments made and judged - if anyone else happens to follow it down the line do please keep me informed!

Honestly, and I think the whole gaming community would agree with me when it comes to this observation: Bluehole are coming immensely jealous of the success that Fortnite has had. As a business, I can understand why they’re upset to see something so similar to their product performing so well.

However, they almost seem to think that they’re entitled to the mindshare that Fortnite has had in addition to PUBG’s, just because they share the same genre, and they’re doing nothing to spin that narrative by going around declaring the game as being a rip-off of their product and suing Epic. 

PUBG was something of an overnight success, but it hasn’t been sustained because of how unprepared and poorly managed Bluehole has been since then. By contrast, Epic was extremely lucky to have been positioned as well as they were to jump in on a red hot craze in Battle Royale, but their organisation and management has seen that sustained, and maybe even pushed further.

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this as it evolves, and it’ll be very interesting to see how things pan out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

Honestly, and I think the whole gaming community would agree with me when it comes to this observation: Bluehole are coming immensely jealous of the success that Fortnite has had. As a business, I can understand why they’re upset to see something so similar to their product performing so well.

However, they almost seem to think that they’re entitled to the mindshare that Fortnite has had in addition to PUBG’s, just because they share the same genre, and they’re doing nothing to spin that narrative by going around declaring the game as being a rip-off of their product and suing Epic. 

PUBG was something of an overnight success, but it hasn’t been sustained because of how unprepared and poorly managed Bluehole has been since then. By contrast, Epic was extremely lucky to have been positioned as well as they were to jump in on a red hot craze in Battle Royale, but their organisation and management has seen that sustained, and maybe even pushed further.

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this as it evolves, and it’ll be very interesting to see how things pan out.

I'd love to have some counter arguments for the sake of the debate; but honestly I don't think it's possible to disagree too much with your post. It's very easy for folks like me and others to jump up and say about how they're doing down PUBG but at the same time they're also doing lots, as you say, to sustain Fortnite in comparison. The model is intriguing given its fundamental F2P nature as it could be argued they might not make money - but they're currently one of the biggest games in the world so it's clearly working out to some extent. Always easy to turn arguments dichotomous, especially when they're particularly not. I think you've excellent highlighted exactly why it shouldn't neccessarily be done for Fortnite/Epic, either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s a joke suggestion, but god-damn I’d so play this...

• Haha 1

Honestly I think COD and BF will blow everyone else away when their Battle Royale modes launch.

We havent had a fps/shooter expert do one yet.

The one in BLOPS4 sounds really good!

Edited by Choze

On 6/28/2018 at 12:19 PM, Kav said:

It’s a joke suggestion, but god-damn I’d so play this...

I actually think this would be dope, considering the whole gameplay loop / progression across botw is pretty similar in microcosm to pubg/ fortnite. The level design of the Fornite island seems pretty inspired by breath of the wild too (particularly it's verticality with the mountains. The shield surfing and parachute too.. it's ready to go! Shame it would never happen but still

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this