NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dwarf

Survival/Battle royale games

My PC isn't good enough to run the glut of survival games that have become popular over the past 2 or 3 years (most of which seem to spend a long time in development in Early Access on Steam) but I'm hoping they eventually come to console in some form because some of them look really interesting. I'm talking about games like The Forest, Day Z, H1Z1, Minecraft to a lesser extent, and Battlegrounds, the latter of which has recently caught my attention.

Wikipedia defines the genre as:

a subgenre of action video games that generally start the player off with minimal resources, in a hostile, open-world environment, and require them to collect resources, craft tools, weapons, and shelter, and survive as long as possible. Many survival games are based on randomly or procedurally generated persistent environments, with more recently created games often playable online, with multiple players on a single persistent world. Survival games are generally open-ended, with no set goals, and are often closely related to the survival horror genre, in which the player must survive within a supernatural setting, such as a zombie apocalypse.

It still feels like a refreshing genre that developers haven't recognised the potential of, and to me the games seem like a response to jaded FPS players who've had enough of tightly-engineered maps that can be mastered and exploited, in favour of large scale maps that allow for slow-burn, emergent battles that become intense because of the downtime.

Anyone here tried these games out, or have thoughts about what they'd like to see more of?

I kind of love how shitty they look. Throwback to the PS2 era.

I'm pretty similar in that I've always thought the longform nature make them seem like great fun and particularly tense - the kind of games where anyone who's played them have a tonne of unique anecdotes from mad encounters and the like. But as a mac user haven't had a chance to play any of them.

I feel like these are the kind of games that psplus is born for! Low budget enough to make it on there, and would hugely benefit from a variety of skill-levels and a big player base. Make it happen Sony!

I guess Sony (Zipper Interactive) attempted something similar with MAG on the PS3, in terms of the map scale, player count (256 players), and with it being online-only. It was shit, but yeah, a PS+ battle royale game could do really well if Sony put a decent team behind it. I remember how popular Battlefield 1943 was as a download-only release, another online-only that maintained a sizeable player base for a long time after launch. We've had innnovative and successful games like Fat Princess and Rocket League, so the precedent is there.

Edited by dwarf

I love survival games. I bought H1Z1 back in the day although unfortunately haven't haven't had chance to play it in a while.

King of the kill is freaking great to watch though. Would really love this to come to PS4 as it has a great social aspect to it; there's just nothing quite like the way battle royale works in current FPS games on console.

It's also great trolling material which is fun to watch.

(Britbong is my guilty pleasure).

Battlegrounds was confirmed for PS4 and Xbox One a little while back, which is good news, but I do wonder if it'll come with significant performance issues. I think sales success on consoles will largely depend on the speed with which the developer gets new maps up and running to keep players interested.

Microsoft are making the game available early on the Xbox Preview Program, one conspicuous area Sony hasn't sewn up yet.

Battlegrounds was confirmed for PS4 and Xbox One a little while back

Just watched a video of Battlegrounds. I need this in my life. As soon as the game is released on PS4 I'll be all over it.

Was it by JackFrags? There's one at the top of the thread, but any of his are worth watching. Game is lit yo.

Any of you lot played Rust? It's pretty much the quintessential one of these. Don't think it's ever coming to consoles, but it'll pretty much run on any old toaster.

Never had a PC that could run anything beyond Gone Home at minimum settings with a poor frame rate, so no. If I did I definitely wouldn't have played Rust because it looks gash m8.

Never had a PC that could run anything beyond Gone Home at minimum settings with a poor frame rate, so no. If I did I definitely wouldn't have played Rust because it looks gash m8.

It'd be perfect for u then wouldn't it you throbbing willy.

Just had my first few rounds of Battlegrounds. God damn, that is some intense and fun shit. I play with a squad of 4 friends, and when we land it's just BAM! Instant action. 50/50 chance of getting a gun and getting the drop on the nearby players that land next to me. I hate it when I land and instantly die, but I've played a couple of good rounds where we've made it to top 10. So much fun!

I played a few games of H1Z1 King of the Kill a while back, but Battlegrounds is way better.

I'm still working towards my first chicken dinner on Battlegrounds. Best i've managed so far is 5th. I'll hopefully get some more matches in this week, havent been able to play much recently as its been too hot to leave the PC on for long without turning my room into an oven.

Couldn't stand hearing all the mad hype for Battlegrounds and not giving it a try so I'm going to give it a go tonight soon as it downloads. I feel like it'd be much more fun playing as a squad though.

If anyone wants to team up, my Steam id is Audioserf

Edited by The Bard
  • Like 1

On 21/07/2017 at 5:38 PM, The Bard said:

Couldn't stand hearing all the mad hype for Battlegrounds and not giving it a try so I'm going to give it a go tonight soon as it downloads. I feel like it'd be much more fun playing as a squad though.

If anyone wants to team up, my Steam id is Audioserf

What did you make of it Bard? And the rest of you? Been watching Danny O'Dwyer's streams and I'm so interested in checking it out, to the extent that I'm considering finally getting a PC (justifying it through needing an upgrade for my work). Seems like it's getting bigger and bigger online too. Mad that none of these battle royale games have made it to ps4 yet (I think?)

Edited by dan-likes-trees

5 minutes ago, dan-likes-trees said:

What did you make of it Bard? And the rest of you? Been watching Danny O'Dwyer's streams and I'm so interested in checking it out, to the extent that I'm considering finally getting a PC (justifying it through needing an upgrade for my work). Seems like it's getting bigger and bigger online too. Mad that none of these battle royale games have made it to ps4 yet (I think?)

I think it's amazing. Really manages to take what was previously a fairly niche genre and streamline it in a way that makes it comprehensible and accessible - you don't jump into a round with the understanding that it could take you hours of play to get any kind of result. Instead the dome constriction makes it so that every round is pretty much done with within 30 minutes (much less if you don't make it into the final 10). 

If you die, just quit out and hit quickplay again. 

Danny O'Dwyer's streams are super fun to watch. I'm kind of jealous of people who have a group to roll with in this game because there's so much possibility for developing a shorthand with your pals in terms of strategy and making up tactics to handle other players on the fly. Also really enjoy Patrick Kleppek and Austin Walker's streams on Waypoint, as well as the 4 man hijinks the Giantbomb crew get into.

Even in its unfinished state, without mantling, with just one map and a total lack of anything approaching performance optimisation, I've put about 25 hours into it and I'm always up for a game.

• Like 2

@dan-likes-trees: What The Bard said. I'm lucky enough to know a whole squad, and the game is amazing to play with the whole group. You always start out pretty carefree, just playing for fun and so on, but as you get further and further into a round, the tension builds at a really high pace.

Highly reccomended!

• Like 1

The first battle royale mode/game on consoles. Gun play is a little basic but I was pleasantly surprised, and I think the graphical style suits consoles better in terms of performance.

I wonder if in a few years time we'll look back on the genre as a fad, or as a key development in multiplayer.

Edited by dwarf

On 17/09/2017 at 10:56 AM, dwarf said:

The first battle royale mode/game on consoles. Gun play is a little basic but I was pleasantly surprised, and I think the graphical style suits consoles better in terms of performance.

I wonder if in a few years time we'll look back on the genre as a fad, or as a key development in multiplayer.

Hopped right on this after seeing this post... it is might be the most outrageous, cynical cash-grab knock off I've ever seen!! Literally the only reason it must've been made in such bare bones state must have been to get first dibs on all the ps4 owners wanting to try out battle royale / pubg.

That all said, like an absoloute sucker, I bought it pretty much as soon as seeing this post - and it's pretty great!! Notched up a couple of kills and 14th place finish first go, and subsequently didn't best that the rest of the evening. Would definitely do with a bit more to distinguish itself from the crowd (and the sooner they add squads the better) but still. Addicting stuff!

Edited by dan-likes-trees
  • Like 1

Yep, that is exactly how I felt after seeing gameplay videos of the game. Just... everything about it except from the building is just a complete rip-off of PUBG. But hey, if they can expand the genere further, I don't really mind. And I get to play the best version on PC :P. 

3 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

Yep, that is exactly how I felt after seeing gameplay videos of the game. Just... everything about it except from the building is just a complete rip-off of PUBG. But hey, if they can expand the genere further, I don't really mind. And I get to play the best version on PC :P. 

Yeah for all I'm enjoying it I gotta say it does make me want to play PUBG more and more! But it's providing about enough to stop me spunking a grand on a pc for now

Potentially massive news though - Battle Royale - Fortnite next week is going free to play on ps4 xbox pc and mac next week!

FortniteBattleRoyale_OutlookScreenshot-1

I've become a bit obsessed it! Got two #2 finishes but that first place has alluded me thus far.. Not a huge fan of the fort building stuff (last few survivors all seem pretty well versed in making forts) but I am appreciating the differences in tone to pubg - games are a bit quicker and more arcadey, the map is more condensed, plus using the pickaxe to ust through walls and cielings spices things up a little. Well worth a go for non-PC owners!

It confused me because I thought Fortnite was a completely different game. And it is. So it's just that particular mode that's a rip-off.

So, if anyone needs a Battle Royale fix, H1Z1 is now free to play. Further, Fortnite will get a release on iOS and Android. So Switch version inbound as well? 

Sign in to follow this