NEurope
The Peeps

Should I get a switch right now?

So, I've been thinking about whether or not I want a switch and the main draw at the moment is Breath of the Wild. This game is of course available on Wii U so my first question is really: what benefit is there for getting it on Switch instead of Wii U?

My second question is: besides BotW, what games are currently out that are worth getting? I will accept games that are due to be released within the next month too.

I like the concept of the Switch but I don't want another Wii U situation. I will mostly be using the Switch as a single player although I'll have a few opportunities for multi-player action too. Is it worth getting now or should I wait for more games and a price drop?

Is it worth the money now?

If you're going to buy it eventually, you may as well just buy it now and play the best version of Breath of the Wild on it. If (big if) there is a price drop at the end of the year, I think it's unlikely to be more than £20-30, if that. They might do a £300 bundle with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or something.

Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of games out for it, Fast RMX, SnipperClips and Shovel Knight are all brilliant, and as mentioned MK8 Deluxe next month and ARMS soon after. Plus a ton of amazing looking indie games they recently unveiled, most of which are coming out in the next few months.

Unless a (potential) 20-30 quid saving means that much to you, I'd jump in now. I absolutely love mine.

The question should perhaps be at this point...

Can I get a Switch right now?

From what I've seen, it seems to be sold out everywhere.

But yes, I'd say that if you can buy one now then it is absolutely worth it and will certainly be even more worthwhile in the future. :)

Plus, the sooner you get it, the less the initial backlog will be.

I'm already stressed out by the fact that when I get it in June, I will already then have too many games I want to play along with BotW that will take up a lot of my time.

So, I've been thinking about whether or not I want a switch and the main draw at the moment is Breath of the Wild. This game is of course available on Wii U so my first question is really: what benefit is there for getting it on Switch instead of Wii U?

My second question is: besides BotW, what games are currently out that are worth getting? I will accept games that are due to be released within the next month too.

I like the concept of the Switch but I don't want another Wii U situation. I will mostly be using the Switch as a single player although I'll have a few opportunities for multi-player action too. Is it worth getting now or should I wait for more games and a price drop?

It depends if you have a Wii U or not. If you have a Wii U then I would say just wait it out. Zelda is the only big hitter out at the moment and, having played through the Wii U version myself, it plays absolutely fine on that console. A few others on here have also played through the Wii U version and had zero issues with it.

The next big titles are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS. If you've already played MK8 on the Wii U then that could be a hard sell. ARMS still hasn't got a release date but is expected around May.

The Switch also has some minor issues at the moment. Some docks are bent, which means the screen is getting marks on it when it is slid in and out. The other issue is the left joycon desyncing when playing a game. I imagine both of these issues will be sorted with a new packaging and manufacturing process.

It all comes down to whether you want to pay around £330 to play Zelda or pay £45 to play Zelda. It was an easy choice for me. Myself and a few others on here and quite happy to wait it out.

If you had the choice, I'd wait until April 28th when MK8DX and Puyo Puyo Tetris come out. There's already quite a few awesome games available, but that looks to be a good tipping point in general.

That being said, the damn thing is sold out everywhere anyway, so you might as well grab one whenever it becomes available :p

@The Peeps do you play on your WiiU still (I'm guessing you have one)? If you don't go on it much, I'd trade it in and make the Switch.

After trading in my WiiU, 3DS & GameStop them, I paid £27.88 for my Switch, Zelda and a Pro Controller. Well worth it!

If you play on your WiiU a lot still, I'd hold off and get Zelda on that.

@The Peeps do you play on your WiiU still (I'm guessing you have one)? If you don't go on it much, I'd trade it in and make the Switch.

After trading in my WiiU, 3DS & GameStop them, I paid £27.88 for my Switch, Zelda and a Pro Controller. Well worth it!

If you play on your WiiU a lot still, I'd hold off and get Zelda on that.

This is a valid point. If you have a Wii U, and don't keep a hold of your old consoles, then trading it in for a Switch would probably be a good option. Provided you're not bothered about the issues I mentioned.

For me - the advantage is portability, arguably the screenshot feature, and of course the wider remit of potential for the system's future. Yet I don't have enough potential in my current life to really make use of that portability so it isn't for me(whereas were I in Kav's situation with long commutes for example I'd imagine I'd definitely have one already).

Gamewise - for me personally there just isn't enough yet. If there was this may have swung me in the right direction over the other issues putting me off, but sadly not the case. There's supposed to be some great content coming eventually and the potential of Stardew Valley or Yooka-Laylee on this certainly tempts me.

Multi-player - regardless of what will be said against this I still feel their online is just still far too much of an unknown. We know it launches around autumn time and will utilise a smartphone app. We've had no true confirmation of price of subscription nor the implementation or functionality of the online when it arrives. For me it's another great unknown I can't currently jump on - for you if you're mostly gonna be single-player it may not matter at all.

If you have a Wii U, then you should ask yourself if you would buy the Switch if it didn't have Zelda.

The differences (apart from portability) are very minimal between the two versions.

It all comes down to whether you want to pay around £330 to play Zelda or pay £45 to play Zelda.

I really disagree with this. You're paying £45 to play Zelda on Switch, + £280 to have Nintendo's new console for the next few years. There's loads of other games worth playing on Switch. Yes the Wii U version runs completely fine, but it runs better on Switch, is portable, and if you're going to buy the console anyway, why not just do it now.

My dock isn't bent, wi-fi works fine and I haven't had any de-sync issues.

Edited by Ronnie

If you have the money and there's no problem for you to spend them today, and if you're planning to get the console at a later time this year (for any of the other games coming out) then I'd say yeah. No problem in getting one now, as the system won't get an update or a price drop any time soon. Only thing that can be getting a new version is the left joy-con, but that is just a controller.

I am having a blast these days playing Zelda on the bus every day on my daily commute.

But if you're short on the money, don't spend that much on the console when you can settle with the game for Wii U now and get the Switch at a later time when you've saved up.

I really disagree with this. You're paying £45 to play Zelda on Switch, + £280 to have Nintendo's new console for the next few years. There's loads of other games worth playing on Switch. Yes the Wii U version runs completely fine, but it runs better on Switch, is portable, and if you're going to buy the console anyway, why not just do it now.

But it depends on if those games interest you. If I bought a Switch now, I would be doing nothing with it until Mario came out (that's if I even get it, as I haven't enjoyed a 3D Mario since SM64).

Yes, he would have the console ready for the next few years, but what is available right now doesn't warrant a purchase, IMO, especially if Zelda is the only thing Peeps is really interested in.

The bolded is exactly why I wasn't going to post in this thread because I was expecting a response like this. Yes, many people aren't having these issues but there are many who are. These aren't some random events, hell, people on here are having some of these issues. Shorty has 2 different sets of joycons, one works fine yet another one doesn't. There are issues with the console that could, and should, be ironed out for those not in a rush to purchase right now.

But it depends on if those games interest you. If I bought a Switch now, I would be doing nothing with it until Mario came out (that's if I even get it, as I haven't enjoyed a 3D Mario since SM64).

If Zelda, Bomberman, Fast RMX, SnipperClips, Shovel Knight, Arms, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8D, and the many dozens of other games out before Mario doesn't interest you, then sure, wait.

Yes, he would have the console ready for the next few years, but what is available right now doesn't warrant a purchase, IMO, especially if Zelda is the only thing Peeps is really interested in.

But why not just buy it now? If he's going to buy it anyway, why not play the best version of Zelda and have the option of other games on top of that? Plus we don't know if Zelda is the only thing Peeps is interested in. The argument that you're paying £330 to play Zelda is ridiculous.

Yes people are experiencing issues, I never questioned that but the dock thing especially is such a minority issue I don't even think it's worth bringing up. As of yet we've seen that one single photo of a scratched screen, nothing else.

Edited by Ronnie

But why not just buy it now? If he's going to buy it anyway, why not play the best version of Zelda and have the option of other games on top of that? Plus we don't know if Zelda is the only thing Peeps is interested in.

Yes people are experiencing issues, I never questioned that but the dock thing especially is such a minority issue I don't even think it's worth bringing up. As of yet we've seen that one single photo of a scratched screen, nothing else.

If he's interested in other games that have been listed, then sure, but if not then a wait and see approach could be advised seeing the issues I stated could be sorted later down the line and a price drop or even bundles may happen when Splatoon 2 or Mario arrive.

In terms of the games listed.

Zelda is on the Wii U

FAST RMX is on the Wii U

Shovel Knight is on the Wii U

Mario Kart is on the Wii U

Yes, these are definitive editions of the games but if you have already played the base games on the Wii U then it's not a great line up.

Bomberman seems to be the other go to game for the Switch but the price of it has put a lot of people off. Not to mention the online lag ( being patched soon ) and the setup of how online lobbies work being a bit of a mess.

Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors and Splatoon are Summer and beyond. This leaves ARMS and Snipperclips, both of which seem multiplayer focused which isn't ideal for Peeps as he said he was mainly interested in single player. ARMS will no doubt have a decent single player mode, but we've yet to see a Direct for the game.

There's plenty of photos of bent docks on Gaf and Reddit. Some guy even invented the penny test to see if your Switch Dock was crooked or not.

If Zelda, Bomberman, Fast RMX, SnipperClips, Shovel Knight, Arms, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8D, and the many dozens of other games out before Mario doesn't interest you, then sure, wait.

I have a chunk of those on other platforms, Xenoblade looks good but isn't my kind of game (as is Fire Emblem, but that's after Mario). Arms looks like complete rubbish (on to of being a 1v1 game, which I don't like at all) and, while I loved Splatoon, I'm not really interested in Splatoon 2 unless the game plus a year of online is £40 or less.

The other two are small downloadable titles which aren't enough to pick a console for.

Arms looks like complete rubbish

Have you played it?

Everyone who's played it has loved it, or at least that seems to be the reaction online. I suspect it's going to be a hit as big as Splatoon is.

Have you played it?

Everyone who's played it has loved it, or at least that seems to be the reaction online. I suspect it's going to be a hit as big as Splatoon is.

I haven't played it, but the reaction online seems to be that it would make a decent minigame or a cheap digital game (like how Bomberman is a great £10-£15 game). And, like I said, the 1v1 aspect is a big no for me personally.

I haven't played it, but the reaction online seems to be that it would make a decent minigame or a cheap digital game (like how Bomberman is a great £10-£15 game).

I must be reading a different online to you. Reaction's been hugely positive from what I've seen.

If you are going to buy one anyway (knowing what has been announced already for it) then buy it now. I think you will get the most out of it. I love mine. I have had no issues with joy cons or the dock scratching my screen. However, it appears to be a lottery and I am one of the lucky ones.

I was always going to buy the Switch anyway and like I said I love it. The online needs to be worked on and I am disappointed about the lack of miiverse, virtual console and party chat (although an IOS/Android app will be released later) but as a piece of tech its really fantastic. I was playing Zelda on the train this morning and am now currently playing it connected to the TV. Its impressive.

I also wanted to not put the Wii U on again. I really did feel burnt out by that console.

However, if you are unsure about the Switch i'd probably wait until E3 to see what gets announced. At the minute I am struggling to argue why you should purchase one right now if you have a Wii U. In the meantime play Zelda on the Wii U. The Switch could end up with shite retail 3rd party support but as a 1st party and indie machine I think it will have some fantastic games on it.

Retail 3rd party support no longer bothers me as I have a PS4. Now i'm not saying that Nintendo should not get off the hook but for me personally I have a PS4 so I don't really care about it anymore.

I have bought the Switch with low expectations - minimal 3rd parties, shite online, and no features but I think we'll be in one hell of a ride first party wise. Zelda was a good sign for a fresh Nintendo. I think that is something to be excited about.

Has no one informed you of the new forum rules?

Come on, no need for the shit stirring.

As for should you get one...

Can you afford £300+ pretty comfortably? If no, then don't get Zelda on the Wii U. If yes turn to page 53.

Basically if you are getting one anyway, can easily spare the cash then why not? Wait out it's "potential" hardware issues (please be software based!), but now you can play Zelda in the best way, have a genuine portable (if that appeals to you), and play definitive editions of FAST, Shovel Knight, Snipperclips and Bomverman if you fancy some multiplayer; plus the Indies are rolling out pretty impressively.

Then it's only going to get better as they fix the problem, start up VC, Mario Kart (presuming you want this), Arms and such; and already the exclusives for the year look impressive, but I think we're all still hoping for an E3 blow out - at least Smash and Pokemon.

Does that appeal to you? If not, don't bother. But the machine is really really impressive; and this feels like an incredibly exciting time for Nintendo, in spite of some fumbles of old Nintendo!

Edited by Rummy