NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

Yup, impressive indeed. Shame the game falls off a cliff once...

Spoiler

...the Ceph appear.

The game immediately loses its strongest points: The open-ended environments and the gameplay it provides. So many choices on how to approach fights in the first few missions. After the aliens show up it gets strictly linear.

There’s a free game trial of Pokkén Tournament DX going on for Nintendo Switch Online members next week, the download is already available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RedShell said:

There’s a free game trial of Pokkén Tournament DX going on for Nintendo Switch Online members next week, the download is already available.

I will never forgive the blatant snubbing Hawlucha was given in that game.

You have a luchador style fighter in a Pokémon fighting game and it's not the literal luchador Pokémon!

Scandalous!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just noticed LEGO City Undercover is 14.99 on the eshop until 5/8/20. Seems silly not to go for it at that price. 

• Like 3

Played and finished Creaks last week and really enjoyed it. Its by Amanita Design, who are best known for Machinarium but also games like the Samorost series, Botanicula and Chuchel.

Unlike those games, which are point and click titles, this one has you directly controlling a character and completing puzzles which isn't much of a change up but the direct control definitely changes up how they've previously set up puzzle sequences and adds some interesting time based and spatial mechanics that require you to think before acting.

Its not an especially long game (think I did it in about 5 hours or so) but its really well designed and has a good steady elevation of difficulty and introduction of new ideas that keep you going through. On top of that, its a beautiful game that bears some aesthetic similarities to Machinarium (mainly colour palate but also in how environments are designed and look dilapidated but still feel lived in). Amanita Design know how to do fantastic 2D art work that's quirky and this continues their style. I similarly loved the way they use sound and music in the game (they've spoken in interviews about how adaptive the music is to what's happening in each area, each puzzle and how its used to guide you through puzzles which is a subtle but great use of sound design in gaming).

I really enjoyed it. Love the work and style of game that Amanita Design create. Up there as one of my favourites for the year and its definitely worth a look if you're a fan of Machinarium or logic based puzzles games that are quirky.

I'll leave a trailer to give a gist of the game but its definitely worth a go for those looking for something different at the moment on the Switch (it's also available on PS4, Xbox One and PC).

• Like 2

Luigis Mansion 3, Yoshis Crafted World, Arms and Splatoon 2 are all 33% cheaper right now

1-2 Switch, Fitness Boxing and The Stretchers are 30% off

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

1-2 Switch would have to be - 90 %for me to pick that up! 

Which would still make it overpriced for the content on offer. 

• Haha 1

Pre-orders can now be cancelled up to a week before release.

Account Information -> Your Pre-Orders -> Cancel Pre-Order.

• Like 2

The eshop has been reskinned to celebrate Mario's Anniversary, with Mario animations and stuff

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2

Fifa 21 is up for pre-purchase on the eShop, they're expecting people to pay £45 for a legacy edition that doesn't have a trailer or even any screenshots. The worst thing is plenty of people will probably pony up for it, sight unseen, just based on the brand

Hades is bloody brilliant. Its a Supergiant Games game so that was never not going to be the case but as someone who doesn't normally go for roguelikes, this is fantastic. A perfect blend of everything they've done uo till now with the Bastion style action combat/weaponry, Transistor style combos and Pyre's excellent visual and narrative design. So happy to also see its selling well on the eShop. Its well worth a try out.

So the short of the massage is that Hades rules, everyone should play it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/18/2020 at 6:21 AM, Ganepark32 said:

Hades is bloody brilliant. Its a Supergiant Games game so that was never not going to be the case but as someone who doesn't normally go for roguelikes, this is fantastic. A perfect blend of everything they've done uo till now with the Bastion style action combat/weaponry, Transistor style combos and Pyre's excellent visual and narrative design. So happy to also see its selling well on the eShop. Its well worth a try out.

So the short of the massage is that Hades rules, everyone should play it.

Super duper seconding this. Hades is my new jam. 

I really need to get around to playing Pyre, I bought it at release because.....Supergiant Games. But I am playing Hades and loving it. Kinda surprised it doesn’t have its own game thread (well the PC one does)

Regardless people need to play this game. It’s good. Imma go pimp it to anyone I can. 

Also I enjoy they feature the Goddess Nyx. Which most records about haven’t survived to this age. The things that are known are goddess of night and even Zeus doesn’t pick fights with her. Only other time I’ve ever seen Nyx mentioned was in the Ilium/Olympus book series. And I think that was a single paragraph. 

[eShop] Highlights & Sales (up to September 25th)

All the great games & sales currently scheduled to be hitting the Switch eShop from now until the 25th of September.
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nolan said:

Also I enjoy they feature the Goddess Nyx. Which most records about haven’t survived to this age. The things that are known are goddess of night and even Zeus doesn’t pick fights with her. Only other time I’ve ever seen Nyx mentioned was in the Ilium/Olympus book series. And I think that was a single paragraph. 

incoming mythology nerd

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2020 at 12:21 PM, Ganepark32 said:

Hades is bloody brilliant.

12 hours ago, Nolan said:

Regardless people need to play this game. It’s good.

I shouldn't do it.
I shouldn't spend the money.
But it's on sale.
And it's a roguelite.
And it's apparently amazing.
And I bought it.

• Haha 3

The next batch of Arcade Archives releases for Switch have just been announced...

• 64th Street: A Detective Story
  • Arabian
  • Ben Bero Beh
  • Cosmo Police Galivan
  • The Fairyland Story
  • Gradius III
  • Green Beret (Rush’n Attack)
  • Guzzler
  • Kuri Kinton
  • Liquid Kids
  • Nova 2001
  • Pettan Pyuu
  • Rabio Lepus
  • Rod Land
  • Soccer
  • Swimmer
  • Thunder Dragon
  • VS. Tennis

Gradius 3 is a big one, as the original arcade version has never seen an arcade perfect home release before! :D (The PSP Gradius Collection is the closest thing, but not quite perfect).

• Thanks 1

Projection: First Light was released a couple of weeks ago on the eShop. It's the first title from Shadowplay Studios, and it's a 2D puzzle platformer made in the style of shadow theatre, with a light-based mechanic that's all about creating solid shadows.

Does that interest you? Regardless of your answer, perhaps you should check the review I wrote for it, as it should shed some light on it. Who knows, this could be the game that brightens your day, and you might want to check a trustworthy review instead of being left in the dark.

In light of that, you can read the review by clicking the image below:

content-2-36364-projectionfirstsidebox.j

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This was released a couple of days ago.

Turn-based? Yes.
Roguelite? YES!

Sign me up.

But it'll have to wait. For real, this time. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2020 at 11:05 PM, drahkon said:

But it'll have to wait. For real, this time.

:laughing:

Welp, I bought it just now. Send help.

• Haha 2

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. It looks like a cool take on the rougelike genre and being turnbased means that it's not about being quick on the reflexes and that you can put it down for a moment to have a sip of coffee while playing. Important QoL in games. 

Although I think Hades might have to be my next rougelike..