NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

When the Virtual Console finally comes to Switch, I can see myself buying pretty much everything I already own and spending a lot of money turning my Switch into the ultimate Nintendo console :grin:

Yep, same. I do think Nintendo are going to be nice about our purchases though!!!

When the Virtual Console finally comes to Switch, I can see myself buying pretty much everything I already own and spending a lot of money turning my Switch into the ultimate Nintendo console :grin:

I'm similar, but will probably stick to SNES and GBA. I got the Game Boy out of my system with the 3DS, and the Ambassador games did the same with the NES. Regarding N64 games, I really think they could do with HD remasters, especially Ocarina of Time.

But more than a Nintendo console, I want to turn the Switch into the ultimate coin-op machine! Double Dragon, Final Fight, Golden Axe, Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja! Let me build the fantasy arcade of my youth!

I'm similar, but will probably stick to SNES and GBA. I got the Game Boy out of my system with the 3DS, and the Ambassador games did the same with the NES. Regarding N64 games, I really think they could do with HD remasters, especially Ocarina of Time.

But more than a Nintendo console, I want to turn the Switch into the ultimate coin-op machine! Double Dragon, Final Fight, Golden Axe, Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja! Let me build the fantasy arcade of my youth!

I love the idea of having access to many of my SNES and N64 favourites and being able to jump in and out of them seamlessly and taking them with me wherever I go :hehe: It would be nice to have an excuse to play them all again from scratch!

GC games would be an awesome bonus but if we can get Mega Drive, Dreamcast or even Saturn the Switch is going to be dynamite :yay:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Seiken_PR/status/843658507719127040

Seemingly our first look at SNES VC on Switch, with Seiken Densetsu 3 running on it.

Looks like there's an option for borders alongside the sides of screen. I hope you can turn those off...

I'm one of those people that like to play full screen even if it stretches the image a little :red: I don't think it was possible on the Wii U VC which was another reason I preferred the Virtual Console on Wii!

I'm one of those people that like to play full screen even if it stretches the image a little :red: I don't think it was possible on the Wii U VC which was another reason I preferred the Virtual Console on Wii!

Disgusting. You are worse than Satan himself :nono:

Huh, guess it wasn't actually a VC release, but rather S-E are doing their own collection release for Seiken Densetsu's 25th anniversary.

How I pray for an SD3 localisation...

Huh, guess it wasn't actually a VC release, but rather S-E are doing their own collection release for Seiken Densetsu's 25th anniversary.

How I pray for an SD3 localisation...

That's a very nice surprise. Box art is gorgeous.

ITEM_IMAGE2.jpg

*joins Dcubed in prayer*

Oh wow, that's glorious! :D

Please let it be localised and released over here, I'd buy that collection in a heartbeat. :)

23rd March Switch eShop releases;

Nintendo Switch eShop

Has-Been Heroes (Frozenbyte, €24.99 / £19.99) – Available from Tuesday, 28th of March.

World of Goo (Tomorrow Corporation, €9.99 / £8.99)

Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation, €9.99 / £8.99)

Human Resource Machine (Tomorrow Corporation, €9.99 / £8.99)

Neo Turf Masters (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)

30th of March releases on the Switch;

Nintendo Switch eShop

Snake Pass (Sumo Digital, €19.99 / £15.99)

Metal Slug (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)

I got Metal Slug. Only played it a bit, but it seems well-emulated to me. The options are so good, it actually feels like I have the keys to my own Neo Geo coin-op and can set things like credits, difficulty etc! (I've left it on default for now.) What I like is that it's not too hard to get into - it's challenging, but certainly not as difficult straight away as, say, Contra III.

I'm tempted by Metal Slug but I've never played a game in the series or anything really like it. I was too young to play those types of games on the SNES, really feel like I should play through a Metal Slug or Contra game just to get a sense of that genre.

I went a bit indulgent and (as well as Metal Slug), bought Shock Troopers and Blaster Master Zero.

My experience of Neo Geo is very limited. I played the coin-op Puzzle Bobble and I might have played King of the Monsters in an arcade once, but nothing other than that. Needless to say, it was an absolute dream machine. I used to see it advertised in Sega Pro, and drooled at the thought of owning one.

Metal Slug (1996) is a side-scroller along the lines of Contra. As I say, I found it easier to get into than Contra III on SNES. Like most arcade games, it eases you in with the first level being quite reasonable. You get a decent amount of play for a credit or two, but not surprisingly it gets chaotic towards the end.

If I'm nitpicking, the art style is a bit too cartoony for my tastes. To me, it feels halfway between an authentic '90s coin-op and a modern homage (although it is of course the former). I could also not shake the feeling that SNK very deliberately wanted to create a signature game that was not a fighter. As such, it feels slightly more contrived than earlier arcade classics by Capcom or Sega, for instance. The game features over-the-top violence combined with cartoony touches. When you rescue a Prisoner of War, they run about (invincible) on the battlefield and shake your hand. I'd have loved that when I was a kid.

The more I played Metal Slug, the more I liked it. It's a pretty well-considered game, with gameplay as satisfying as its thrills.

Shock Troopers (1997), on the other hand, really does feel like a 1990s coin-op - in fact, I don't think it actually had an AES (home) release. It is a top-down, 8-way directional game similar to Capcom's Commando. I found this absolutely brilliant from the first moment - both harder and better than Metal Slug. In fact, I especially love the attract screen, which makes me feel I'm in a '90s arcade.

For the record, both games are censored by default, with the option to turn on Blood/Brutality if you want it. Obviously these games needed to be considerate of being displayed in a public place, but I like this method. Violence isn't my thing, so I left it off, but I appreciate things being done this way round.

My only complaint about Shock Troopers is the difficulty. By the end it gets even more ridiculous than Metal Slug, and like a true arcade game, it's designed to guzzle your coins. Perhaps there is someone out there who can 1-cred it, but he/she would be an extremely skilled gamer. Other than that, great game!

Anyway, both downloads provided a nice, gratifying bit of action after the slower-paced Zelda. Blaster Master Zero is good too, but I'll review that in its own thread. I'm an absolute sucker for coin-op emulation, so please can we have the Technos, Taito and Data East games as well?

6th April releases on the Switch eShop;

Nintendo Switch eShop

Graceful Explosion Machine (Vertex Pop, €12.99 / £9.99)

Has-Been Heroes (Frozenbyte, €24.99 / £19.99)

Alpha Mission II (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)

Nintendo Switch Retail Download

LEGO City: Undercover (WB Games, €59.99 / £49.99) – Available on Friday, 7th April.

Nintendo Switch Demo

Just Dance 2017 (Ubisoft, free)

Graceful Explosion Machine looks good, but being a one-player only affair means less play time, so I'll pass. On with Zelda, then.

There's a Japanese demo for Spelunker World up on the Japanese eShop right now (you'll find the game under the Coming Soon tab since the game isn't out in Japan yet).

Is actually pretty fun! Hope it comes out in English!

Just a heads-up for anyone interested in trying Neo Geo games. I bought Metal Slug 3 (2000), but haven't enjoyed it at all so far. Although the first game was a bit too cartoony for me, this takes the series in a far more fantastical and supernatural direction (apparently that started in Metal Slug 2, but I haven't played it). Whilst I enjoy Capcom's Ghouls & Ghosts series, the tone seems odd here.

It's also far more difficult than the first game, to the point of being unfair. I've enjoyed the first Metal Slug the more I've played it, and become not bad at it, but can't see the same happening with this one.

Finally, there are now character transformations (which, again, is something apparently introduced in Metal Slug 2). In Stage 2, for example, you keep getting turned into a slow-moving zombie. The game throws you so many curveballs, I just found it annoying.

Anyway, just thought I'd lay down my thoughts. I know Metal Slug 3 is many people's favourite (which presumably is why it was released first), but personally, I don't think it's a good buy over the original.

Tomorrow will see the release of:

Mr. Shifty

The Jackbox party pack 3

Just a heads-up for anyone interested in trying Neo Geo games. I bought Metal Slug 3 (2000), but haven't enjoyed it at all so far. Although the first game was a bit too cartoony for me, this takes the series in a far more fantastical and supernatural direction (apparently that started in Metal Slug 2, but I haven't played it). Whilst I enjoy Capcom's Ghouls & Ghosts series, the tone seems odd here.

It's also far more difficult than the first game, to the point of being unfair. I've enjoyed the first Metal Slug the more I've played it, and become not bad at it, but can't see the same happening with this one.

Finally, there are now character transformations (which, again, is something apparently introduced in Metal Slug 2). In Stage 2, for example, you keep getting turned into a slow-moving zombie. The game throws you so many curveballs, I just found it annoying.

There's a reason it feels unfair: it was made for arcades - the way these games make money is to kill you at a whim and make you cough up more money for a continue. It's fun mayhem with a friend, but I would't buy it to play by myself.

There's a reason it feels unfair: it was made for arcades - the way these games make money is to kill you at a whim and make you cough up more money for a continue. It's fun mayhem with a friend, but I would't buy it to play by myself.

True, but all my favourite arcade games can be mastered - Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Final Fight... admittedly I prefer brawlers. Comparing Metal Slug to Metal Slug 3, particularly, some of the latter's bosses have projectiles that I just don't see how you can dodge.

13th of April releases;

Nintendo Switch eShop

Mr. Shifty (tinyBuild Games, €14.99 / £13.49)

The Jackbox Party Pack 3 (Jackbox Games, €23.99 / £20.03)

Samurai Shodown IV (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)

Nintendo Switch eShop Demo

Puyo Puyo Tetris (Koch Media, free)

Mr Shifty is fantastic. Loving it.

There's a lot of negative feedback about its shocking frame rate. How you finding it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Mr Shifty is fantastic. Loving it.

I was thinking about this too, but it looks like a poor man's Hotline Miami. Have you played it, and if so how does it compare? NWR haven't been especially kind about it.

There's a lot of negative feedback about its shocking frame rate. How you finding it?

There are certainly frame drops when things get chaotic. Especially in later levels. The developer has indicated that they are prioritising a patch which is certainly welcome. However, the game has a fantastic sense of pace and action via cohesive physics and the shift mechanic which combine to make it a great blast - even with the occasional chug. Music is great too. Very Matrix lobby-scene.

@Nicktendo I've not played Hotline Miami, so cannot compare. Taken on its own merits, it's a great little action game that is very addictive and encourages replays through timed runs.