NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

newreleasesandeshopdiscountsbannerweek14.620x0.webp

Nintendo eShop new releases (week 14)

The fourteenth week of releases, (from last month or so) sees 2 retail titles, 33 new digital games, 9 DLC's and 2 demo's added to the eShop.

(This (last X11) weeks article was posted three weeks on from the last one, the next one will be posted at some point...)

No one got the last... "Guess the Videogame Character"

It was... E-123 Omega (the original image can be found here)

I'll just post these articles on a hypothetically more frequent basis until everything is 'caught up' again in a month or so.

No more game recommendations or guessing games though, just lists of games, eventually posted in a more timely manner.

Check the article for the full roundup.

I hear this Omori game that released this week on Switch is supposed to be very good. Though, its also something of a horror RPG and very much an adult game so there is that...

1 hour ago, Aperson said:

I hear this Omori game that released this week on Switch is supposed to be very good. Though, its also something of a horror RPG and very much an adult game so there is that...

It's clearly inspired by EarthBound. But the subject matter is real grim, so you gotta be ready for that.

I'm intrigued to jump in when a sale happens.

newreleasesandeshopdiscountsbannerweek15.620x0.webp

Nintendo eShop new releases (week 15)

The fifthteenth week of releases, (from last month or so) sees 4 retail titles, 46 new digital games, and 7 DLC's added to the eShop.

(This (last X10) weeks article was posted five days on from the last one, the next one will be posted at some point...)

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

On 13.6.2022 at 10:30 PM, MindFreak said:

It does. It's clearly an homage to the old DKC games, although speedruns don't seem that interesting. There is no move to speed up Kaze and make him or her go further when jumping. But each stage has four letters to collect and two bonus levels. Each island has a hard level unlocked by clearing all bonus levels, and each island has a boss. Sounds familiar? :D

It plays well, it's always my own fault when I die. That's probably the most important criteria for a 2D platformer. I'm not that far into it, though. 

Just finished this (Kaze and the Wild Masks). Sort of, I found out that the boss I was fighting was the final boss of the main game. There are apparently some secret bosses as well but I didn't collect everything on my way through. The game is tough, really tough, and the last levels take a lot of attempts. Practice makes perfect, though, but I did feel that the difficulty was a bit forced as many of the late levels forced you to move at a high pace. Make a mistake and you are dead, there is no room for correcting it on the fly. 

Took me 5.5 hours to get 87 % though. I'm not sure that I want to go back and get everything as the bonus levels are really hard and the ones I have done felt a bit cheap. Invisible platforms and such. 

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1

newreleasesandeshopdiscountsbannerweek16.620x0.webp

Nintendo eShop new releases (week 16)

The sixteenth week of releases, (from last month or so) sees 5 retail titles, 44 new digital games, and 7 DLC's, and 4 demo's added to the eShop.

(This (last X9) weeks article was posted five days on from the last one, the next one will probably be posted at some point...)

• Thanks 1

I see the Resident Evil games are back on sale on the eShop, however, it doesn't feel like the right time of year for another one of those, so I had a dig* through to see what unplayed eShop bargains I have (from previous years :blank:). 

Paratopic. Tis the season for this no more than it's the season for a Resi game. :p It's an award-winning horror/suspense sort of thing with a 32-bit graphical style where you walk, talk, shoot (a weapon and photographs), drive and interact a bit with your surroundings. You play in first-person and for a short game, it gives you plenty of time to drink it in and look around for clues of environmental storytelling. It's designed to be completed in one sitting which I've done several times over the course of the weekend. And man, I'm not much the wiser as to what's going on in it. I became a wee bit more familiar with it and gleaned some different details on repeated playthroughs by exploring in different directions and choosing different dialogue options, but the overall story? I've probably interpreted it differently to the next person. 

It's a pretty freaky game. I was unsettled and chilled when something happened and it snapped me to another scene with no explanation. The game recommends headphones which I'm sure would pull you in and put you more on edge. The sound effects, speech and music are surreal enough without them.

Achievements have been left in the Switch version. I got around half during my first go and nearly cleaned up in my second just by, as I mentioned, doing things like going right where I went left and trying different dialogue options. It wasn't long until I got all the achievements, making Paratopic the first game I can think of where I've done that. :D

Maybe worth a look if you're on the prowl for a weird one when the nights are drawing in if you spy Paratopic on sale. 

*I've still got one SteamWorld game to polish off, another to start and the rest to buy...

• Like 1

Loaded up another unplayed eShop purchase I pounced on one time it was on sale in years gone by.

The Bridge. 2D puzzle game where you're goal is to get to the exit door. Easy to grasp. Sometimes you need keys, always you'll need to rotate the stage to utilise gravity and build momentum. Walls and ceilings are all potential floors. There are also some boulders to avoid (that look like the Chomp rocks in Yoshi's Island crossed with the moon from Majora's Mask), vortices to contend with, buttons to press, and some other bits and pieces get added into the mix as you go.

Like all good puzzlers, it starts off basic and gradually turns the screw with each passing chapter. Before you realise it, the old grey matter has been eased through the gears, half the game is done and you're loading back in for the mirror stages. It wasn't until the last two levels of the first half that I found it taxing, then the back half got devious enough at points that I'm not even sure I got through some parts using the intended solution. With gravity and momentum being in play there could well have been different ways to get to the exits.

Due to the hand-drawn style of the graphics (it's really nice looking), there are times when it can be difficult to discern what's foreground or background but if you find you've walked around half the stage just to be blocked off by a pillar, or tipped the level in a way that's left you floating off into oblivion, pressing and holding B rewinds the puzzle. So you can easily get back to where you want to diverge from your previous actions without needing to restart the whole thing from scratch. Pretty nifty.

I've crossed the bridge though I didn't come away with all the achievements in this one. Still, definitely got my money's worth--this and Paratopic are very much examples of the kind of games I trawl through the eShop to unearth. Brisk and memorable. There's a demo if anyone wants to check it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I definitely bought and played a good chunk of The Bridge (thanks to the demo as well). The short of it is that I kind of hated it. It's too damn slow to be enjoyable, you can figure out the solution to a level, and then spend the next 10 minutes simply attempting to carry it out. And if you screw up/fall asleep while doing it, gotta redo it from the start. Not that noticeable in the early levels, but the mid-to-late game has longer levels that just draaag needlessly, it started to get physically painful to slooowly rotate levels.

If not for that, it would be a perfectly suitable puzzle game, as it's got a good aesthetic behind it, and a mechanic that's conceptually interesting. It's the execution that botched the whole thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could kind of see where you're coming from if I hadn't just finished the game in a matter of days so I'll have to beg to differ as in my experience it was short and fairly breezy. Actually, I wouldn't have minded if it lasted me another few days!

Imo there was a good mix of levels that took a minute or two versus others that had me scratching my head and mentally reverse engineering a route. There was probably only one level it felt unexplained which I put down to me not having spotted an interaction previously. Otherwise, exploring different options and toying with the pull of gravity was made easy thanks to the rewind button which rarely left me reaching for the reset button. As I alluded to, there were occasions I felt I reached the exit through suboptimal means (rewinding and tweaking it to manoeuvre the character with extreme precision) but I got there nonetheless.

In some ways, I was reminded of Donkey Kong ('94) and Mario v DK as I played. I think for an indie game to have me recall those indicates it's probably on the right track.

Perhaps you were nodding off with motion controls enabled which left it all topsyturvy when you woke up with the controller lolling off to the side.

Just wondering if you followed the link to see the selected games before sharing that... :woops: 

Bonanza indeed.

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Damn, great share @Dcubed

Might be worth dropping it over in the Wii U/3DS eShop closure thread too, seeing as the stores close up directly to eShop cards on the 29th (though they should be able to still be added to a linked account until the store properly closes in March I think?), and this is running up until the 31st, making this an excellent time for a discount. 

I'm not sure how likely it is another one comes along before March, so I'm definitely going to be jumping on that when I get paid later this month and save me some money on my planned eShop expenditure :p

• Thanks 1

Never used NintendoLife before. Is this discount just store credit, or do I actually pay 10% less at checkout?

Might be weird to plonk 100€ into the eShop just to save 10€... But I'll probably spend all that on my remaining 3DS wishlist.

Edited by Jonnas

9 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Never used NintendoLife before. Is this discount just store credit, or do I actually pay 10% less at checkout?

Might be weird to plonk 100€ into the eShop just to save 10€... But I'll probably spend all that on my remaining 3DS wishlist.

You're buying an eShop code.  You put the discount in on the website and can buy a £100 eShop code for £90 at checkout; you then redeem the eShop code on the Switch like you would any other.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

The second NeoGeo Pocket Colour Selection has been announced by SNK; Switch not officially confirmed yet, but it seems inevitable. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Julius said:

The second NeoGeo Pocket Colour Selection has been announced by SNK; Switch not officially confirmed yet, but it seems inevitable. 

Good stuff. I'll wait for a physical version, just like I done with the first volume. I'm hoping the Capcom vs SNK card game will be included and have my fingers crossed the Sonic NGP game makes an appearance as well. The Megaman NGP just got dumped on the US eShop yesterday. Maybe that will also be part of the collection?

"Now in development"?? I was hoping to read COMING THIS HALLOWEEN. 

Looks pretty nice. Hope it delivers. 

newreleasesandeshopdiscountsbannerweek17.620x0.webp

Nintendo eShop new releases (week 17)

The seventeenth week of releases, (from a while ago) sees 3 retail titles, 50 new digital games, and 13 DLC's, and 5 demo's added to the eShop.

(This (last X13) weeks article was posted a month or so on from the last one, the next one will probably be posted at some point...)

• Thanks 1

newreleasesandeshopdiscountsbannerweek37.620x0.webp

Nintendo eShop new releases (week 37)

The thirty-seventh week of releases, sees a slew of titles released following the latest Nintendo Direct.

(One, Two... miss a few, time skip... these articles are up to date now as the format has changed to highlights on Nintendo's site, time to change)

The eShop article mirrors the weekly highlights, focusing on... New Releases, Demos and Special Offers.

(links to the full list of games, demos and offers are also available)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2