NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

8 hours ago, Dcubed said:

It's on PC as well (Came out on PC first; came to Switch afterwards).  Is also coming to mobile eventually.

Good to know.

You hear that, @drahkon? Dice roguelike.

12 hours ago, Jonnas said:

You hear that, @drahkon? Dice roguelike.

Yeah, now that I got a PC that doesn't shut down every 30 minutes I've been playing a few PC games, one of which is Dicey Dungeon. It's brilliant.

• Thanks 1

A remaster of Quake has just been released on Switch. Gyro aiming, online, DLC and mods. £10.

content-4-36551-greenphoenixbanner.jpg

Green Phoenix rises on the Switch eShop

Now up on the main page.

An on-rails shooter with an interesting narrative, and an attractive pricetag, at £2.99 it might be worth checking out.

- - - - -

content-4-36552-greenxenociderbanner.jpg

Xenocider is coming to the Nintendo Switch eShop

Now up on the main page.

In an interesting case of synchronicity, another on-rails shooter is coming to the Switch, but in 2022...

...it was originally made as a Dreamcast game, it has done very well, and now it's coming to consoles in the not too distant future.

If you like Space Harrier, it'll likely be worth checking out.

- - - - -

Edited by S.C.G

Hello there! I have been "away" for some years 😄 Is the official Nintendo shop the only place to buy downloadable games (download codes)? I saw a news from 2020 about it, but I can see that some sites are still selling games for the Europe region. Is there anything that is good to know?

8 hours ago, colormonkey said:

Hello there! I have been "away" for some years 😄 Is the official Nintendo shop the only place to buy downloadable games (download codes)? I saw a news from 2020 about it, but I can see that some sites are still selling games for the Europe region. Is there anything that is good to know?

Hi there.  There are other stores selling download codes still.  The thing that happened last year is that Nintendo put an end to allowing other stores to sell digital games at a discount; so now every store sells their digital games at the standard RRP.

For first party Nintendo games? You’re generally best off buying the Nintendo Switch Online vouchers through the eShop and using them to buy your first party downloadable games; you save about £14 for every two games you buy when using them :) 

content-4-36558-nintendoeshopblockbustersalebanner.jpg

Nintendo announces a Blockbuster Sale on the Nintendo Switch eShop starting tomorrow

Now up on the main page.

Plenty of potential bargains to be had.

Sonic Mania for 50% off?!? Well worth it if you don't already own it on other platforms, or managed to get it cheaper elsewhere. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Only just hit me, but the Shadowrun Trilogy HD remake marks another Microsoft owned set of games make their Switch debut...

Once again.  Microsoft proves that they are the best 3rd party on Switch :D 

content-4-36561-aspireinastalebanner.jpg

Aspire: Ina's Tale is coming to the Nintendo Switch eShop in December 2021

Now up on the main page.

A new platformer-adventure game, just announced today for all platforms, including the Switch.

At first glance, it looks like Gris in style, but perhaps with more in the way of gameplay?

One to watch out for later in the year, potentially.

- - - - -

content-4-36562-blossomtalesiibanner.jpg

Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince announced for Nintendo Switch

Now up on the main page.

A sequel to the original Blossom Tales which was heavily influenced by top-down Zelda games.

As it happens, the original game is currently only £3.37 as it has 75% off until 07/10/2021.

At that price, the original would seem to be worth checking out if you're interested.

I used to own the physical version on Switch but never played it.

At that price though, and with news of a sequel, it seems worth buying potentially.

- - - - -

• Like 1

Heads up @S.C.G The Saturn Tribute collection games (Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang, Guardian Force) all got stealth released on the EU eShop today!

These games cost about £150-200+ each in their original SEGA Saturn form, so they're quite the bargain here! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, @Dcubed took the plunge on Nickelodeon All Stars Brawl. And we had a 2 hour-ish session on it.

It's solid, but not without its flaws.

The Good

The most important aspect, the characters, are really fun to play as. All 20 of them are unique (even the 2 ninja turtles) and it all seems to be balanced quite well. No character seems to be obviously better then everyone else (Although we both agree that Michelangelo is definitely one of our better characters). I feel like any character can be decent with some practice. Kudos!

The animation work and models are pretty good. It's snappy and chock full of references to the shows. Ludosity definitely did their homework in that regard.

I know I made this point before this was released, but this roster is amazing! You've got obvious mainstays like SpongeBob and the Avatar crew, but you've also got some deep cuts like Powdered Toast Man, unexpected choices like Helga, and some genius ways of avoiding having to beat up babies by having Reptar as the Rugrats rep. It's not perfect, so to speak. I can't help but notice a blatant Rocko and Fairly Odd Parents shaped hole here, but there is DLC planned, so there's still time to fix that. But it's a very good base roster!

The 20 stages are a great mix of simple stages with more competitive layouts and crazy stages with cool gimmicks to keep you on your toes. I wouldn't say there was a single dud here.

While this game certainly doesn't try to hide it's Smashing inspiration, there's a few little touches that help to make Nick feel not quite as blatant. There's no universal dodging maneuver. (Nigel Thornberry can do it though with his side special though. Very Smashing!) Successful dash attacks can immediately be followed up with another attack, etc. Small little tweaks to what you'd expect, but nothing that's too complicated to get your head around.

The Bad

You don't want to buy this unless you have friends to play with or plan on playing online. You've got a pretty basic arcade mode, playing against CPU's, and Training mode. And that's about it. It is not a good single player experience.

The loading times are noticeably lengthy. It's not dreadful, but it's defo longer then Smash Ultimate.

I'm not sure why, but there doesn't seem to be alternate colours for the characters. So if 2 people choose the same character, it's gonna get very confusing. Like, I'm not gonna demand different elaborate costumes, but I'd expect to be able to have a blue Reptar if need be.

Sadly, there's no voice acting (other then the announcer, who does a good job). It's an unfortunate effect of Ludosity having a shoestring budget. They defo made the right choice prioritising the gameplay, but even knowing the budget issues, I can't help but feel that these Nick characters aren't as crazy as they could be. SpongeBob isn't irritating me with his voice and that just feels wrong. It's an unfortunate pity, thanks to how voice actors for these TV based characters demand more money then most video games, but Ludosity have stated that they would like to add them if the game sells well enough to warrant the cost. Of course, Nick should just pay up, but what can you do?

Now this next one really bugs me. You can remap the buttons, which is great, but there seems to be no way to save a setup to each player (Like how Smash lets you create a profile and choose the button mapping to correspond with it). What's even more irritating is that after each match, the game seems to randomly choose a player's button mapping and apply it to everyone! So you're constantly having to bring up the button binding menu (Thankfully, it can be accessed on the character select) and making sure it's the setup you prefer. I can deal with the other issues, but this one desperately needs a patch. @Dcubed, get on to Ludosity's Twitter and politely point it out. It's very annoying!

But all in all, it's a great alternative to Smash Ultimate. Now obviously it's nowhere as amazing, so keep your expectations in check, but if you've got some willing people to play with, it's a fun time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Yeah I watched the IGN review while eating earlier and they seemed to say the same kind of thing; a decent fun brawler with some unfortunate let downs (lack of alt colours, voice acting etc) which does seem to be down to the budget. Hopefully it'll do well and either get updates or a new version with more money pumped into it. By the sounds of it they've done pretty well with the gameplay so hopefully they'll get a chance to do it again with more polish.

Seen on eShop that Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is on sale and available for about £6. I've just finished the game myself and its a really solid game, effectively Donkey Kong Country 6 or Tropical Freeze 2. Last level is a real gauntlet too.

Heads up @S.C.G Cotton 100% (The Super Famicom sequel to Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams) and MOTHER FUCKING PANORAMA COTTON!!! (yes, THAT Panorama Cotton; the Mega Drive game that costs around £500-600 second hand!!!) just got stealth released on the eShop today!!! :D 

That means that Rainbow Cotton is the one and only Cotton game not available on Switch now (At this point though? I've no doubt that it's gonna come eventually).

Now all we need is to have Rocket Knight Adventures 1 & 2 and Crusaider of Centy get added to NSO Mega Drive and that's my Mega Drive collection complete! (Well, unless they start adding SEGA CD games onto NSO MD; pretty please SEGA?)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1