NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

I picked up Telling Lies as I've been meaning to try it for a while. I'll probably get round to it sometime in 2021...

May also pick up Donut County because raccoon. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I picked up Telling Lies as I've been meaning to try it for a while. I'll probably get round to it sometime in 2021...

May also pick up Donut County because raccoon. 

Donut County is very funny/annoying. I can’t choose. But yes, it has raccoons.

15 hours ago, markderoos said:

Donut County is very funny/annoying. I can’t choose. But yes, it has raccoons.

"Have a garbage day!"

• Haha 1

Went on a bit of a shopping spree, picked up Telling Lies, Dragon's Dogma, GRID Autosport, When The Past Was Around and Kentucky Route Zero in the sale. My SD card is absolutely rammed now though, no space left at all so I need to make a serious dent into my backlog before I can buy any more. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that Grindstone is great!

If you like puzzlers, match 3, addictive gameplay, cartoony gore and/or adventure time style visuals and humour: get it!

The price may seem a bit steep, but it is totally worth it!

Edited by markderoos
  • Thanks 1

There’s a New Year Sale on the eshop that just kicked in, quite a few first party titles are 33% off: Mario Kart 8, Mario Odyssey, Luigis mansion 3 (dlc on sale too)

Breath of the wild, 51 worldwide games, Captain Toad and 1-2 switch are 30% off

Dragon quest XI and Octopath traveler are 50% off

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Search/Search-299117.html?f=147394-5-10-72-3689-3266

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The very good 'The Hong Kong Massacre' now has a review up at the main webpage, unfortunately it's not as good as 'Hotline Miami Collection', but will make a worthy companion for lovers of the latter.

The Hong Kong Massacre 

content-2-36417-thehongkongmassacresidebox.jpg

N-Europe Review  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Axiom Verge is getting a free update, which includes a randomizer:

http://www.axiomverge.com/blog/announcing-axiom-verges-first-ever-free-content-update-in-open-beta-now

Out now on PC, but the console versions will also get the update once it is done. Was just talking to @Dcubed the other day about randomizers, so funny to see some official ones popping up now!

What a coinkidink! Looks like Bloodstained might be kicking off a bit of a trend! :hehe:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

They got me again. Tried out the demo for Agent A: A puzzle in disguise yesterday evening then immediately bought the full game which is currently on sale for 99p. (RRP £19.99!)

I popped on my Switch and seen you playing this. I was wondering why that was the case and now I know. :D 

• Weird 1

The same developer released Down to Bermuda yesterday which has a 60% discount as well, running until February 12th.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I popped on my Switch and seen you playing this. I was wondering why that was the case and now I know. :D 

eShop sales, man. It's the wild west on there every week but if you take the time to sift through... 

20 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

The same developer released Down to Bermuda yesterday which has a 60% discount as well, running until February 12th.

Sweet. Wish listed. 

I bought myself a 125gb SD card because I want so many games and some I just randomly have a sudden urge to play (like Tetris 99 and Animal Crossing).

I also got a couple of cheap games just for curiosity. One is called Night Trap: 25th Anniversary. I've seen footage of this and I love cheesy horrors and heard a lot about it at work so took the plunge. Honestly, I don't really have a clue what I'm doing. I'll probably read up a little more on it.

I also got SwordBreaker, which is a game done in the style of those "choose your own adventure" books, which I absolutely loved when I was a kid. I'm enjoying that BUT I can't get past some of the spelling and grammar errors. It's fun but that aspect spoils it a little. I can forgive a couple but there's quite a few errors.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Beast said:

I also got a couple of cheap games just for curiosity. One is called Night Trap: 25th Anniversary. I've seen footage of this and I love cheesy horrors and heard a lot about it at work so took the plunge. Honestly, I don't really have a clue what I'm doing. I'll probably read up a little more on it.

I also picked up Night Trap in the sale. Not because I’ve heard it’s particularly good, but I’ve read & watched so much about the ‘controversy’ that this game caused when it was initially released, despite how cheesy it actually is.  I’ve always wanted to play it just to understand that a little more, and so I’m going into it, like you, expecting a not-very-good cheesy horror!

I also picked up Night Trap in the sale. Not because I’ve heard it’s particularly good, but I’ve read & watched so much about the ‘controversy’ that this game caused when it was initially released, despite how cheesy it actually is.  I’ve always wanted to play it just to understand that a little more, and so I’m going into it, like you, expecting a not-very-good cheesy horror!
I don't understand what I have to do because when I see the intruders, I'm hammering the B button to trap them and it rarely happens. Are we meant to know where the traps are?
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Beast said:

I don't understand what I have to do because when I see the intruders, I'm hammering the B button to trap them and it rarely happens. Are we meant to know where the traps are? emoji23.png

I'll tell you this now. Trial & Error is the name of the game. You're never gonna finish it without first failing hundreds of times.

Night Trap is a pretty crummy game. It's more valuable as a piece of gaming history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/01/2021 at 6:08 PM, Helmsly said:

Free trial of Dead Cells for people with NSO:

I pre-loaded it yesterday. Looking forward to trying this one out as it frequently comes recommended!

• Like 1

Anyone else trying out Dead Cells at the moment? It seems all right but doesn't immediately live up to the hype, for me at least. Here's why: on my second run, I got stuck for a good few minutes with seemingly nothing to do but tickle some green goo, and man did I really hammer that tickle button (right shoulder) because I expected something to come of it. Like the goo would grow into a platform and let me access the above area. I ended up combing back through all the rooms I'd cleared out--even going back to the first area a couple of times to see if anything had changed there... maybe a triple jump or wall jump would be given to me?!--then after quite a bit of experimenting, I managed to make it to a platform that seemed unreachable and ungrabbable on previous tries. I only persisted with it because there were no other openings on the map. Maybe you get used to it over time, but something about the jumping feels off to me here. It doesn't help that the second area requires precise platforming to land between spikes and avoid rotating mace things. :laughing: 

12 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Anyone else trying out Dead Cells at the moment? It seems all right but doesn't immediately live up to the hype, for me at least. Here's why: on my second run, I got stuck for a good few minutes with seemingly nothing to do but tickle some green goo, and man did I really hammer that tickle button (right shoulder) because I expected something to come of it. Like the goo would grow into a platform and let me access the above area. I ended up combing back through all the rooms I'd cleared out--even going back to the first area a couple of times to see if anything had changed there... maybe a triple jump or wall jump would be given to me?!--then after quite a bit of experimenting, I managed to make it to a platform that seemed unreachable and ungrabbable on previous tries. I only persisted with it because there were no other openings on the map. Maybe you get used to it over time, but something about the jumping feels off to me here. It doesn't help that the second area requires precise platforming to land between spikes and avoid rotating mace things. :laughing: 

Yeah me. At first glance I liked it for the most part. Haven't played much yet.. I think around 2 hours at this point, but now I'm starting to feel less enthusiastic about it. I'll need to play much more to give a proper judgement, but so far, like you, I find the actual platforming a bit off. Though that's minor. I feel like the bigger issue is that I don't think the roguelite linear structure actually adds anything. I think this game would have benefited much more from a traditional metroidvania map. Currently I've done the starting sections a few times, I've now seen the first real boss for the first time. However each repeat, unlike some other roguelite exceptions I'm into, like Hades, I play exactly the same way as the previous run. I treat it as a melee platformer, like the messenger for example. The game also discourages exploring, even though it's actually an essential part of the game. You need to find permanent upgrades which allow you to explore other parts of the same section. Which is a pain because the game encourages speedrunning,and because of the random generated maps. There's no point trying to remember map layouts. Well, there is to an extent as far as I have experienced, but so far I don't bother. Having now reached the first boss once, I'm annoyed I have to repeat all previous sections again to get another attempt.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, @darksnowman I played it a while back and hated it. Probably would have liked it if it didn't have the roguelike elements attached to it. But it's an indie title and most of these developers seems to struggle with making a game without shoving these things into it.

Sadly, it seems my NSO reached its end in December (it was part of an acquaintance's wider family subscription, so I knew I was dependant on their whims. Bit of a surprise they didn't at least say something). I have no immediate need for it unless I feel like trying Smash online again, and I refuse to pay for a free trial, so... I guess I'm out of luck.

Instead I tried the Balan Wonderworld Demo and... that game is rough. Literally, every edge seems jagged, the framerate stutters a lot, and something about it makes my eyes dizzy. Gameplay-wise it's a surprisingly basic 3D platforming collect-a-thon that needs better movement options (at least an option to run faster somehow). Presentation-wise, it's charming at times, but the playable characters are horribly bland (might be from the Demo for now, but they really need some personality. Same thing regarding those pet birds, I have no idea what they are). Finally, despite everything, you can easily see Yuji Naka's hand in it, there's so much from Sonic Adventure here. It kinda feels like a forgotten Dreamcast launch game.

Edited by Jonnas

Yes, @Sméagol it really does encourage you to bomb through it, right! My instincts tell me to fill out all corners of the map and collect everything because as it's a roguelike (not sure if it's a roguelite?), you don't know what pick-ups are out there so you need to take your time and be prepared, but with the timer and time-locked doors... you're encouraged to leg it. Maybe there are persistent upgrades that help with that the more you get into it? Such a strange first impression the game has left with me because like you and @Hero-of-Time are getting at, I've come away wondering if it should just be a straight-up Metroidvania.

Maybe I shouldn't have been expecting the modern classic I've seen Dead Cells touted as. 

Balan Wonderworld @Jonnas I only mention it because I keep typing Wonderland, too. :blush: That's a pity to hear it's looking really bad from the demo. I have it queued up a long with the Immortals demo, and I was looking forward to checking it out. 
P.S. You can do the one week free trial for free. :heh: 

• Thanks 1