NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

I noticed Grid: Autosport is on sale at the moment, does anyone here have any experience with that game? I'm more into arcade style racing games so I'm wary of investing in a more simulation based game but I am really tempted to pick this up. Is it quite heavy on the simulation or is it a bit more accessible than the likes of the F1 games?

I've played the game extensively, and it's a sim racer in everything it does.  Yes, you don't have to tinker with the car setup if you don't want to, and the ease of changing to a difficulty level of your choosing is extensive, there is a lot going on.  Controlling the car on track though is simulation, there are options to turn the controls toward a more arcade racer experience, but it's still simulation at the end of the day.  Great if anyone likes a more sim racing game, and there's not much of that on Switch.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markderoos said:

Any first hand impressions on Edith Finch or Bad North?

What Remains of Edit Finch? I played it on Xbox a few years ago now. It’s a bit of a strange game. It hasn’t stuck so well in the memory too much if I’m honest but I do remember enjoying it when I played it. 

I think it tells a story through different peoples eyes. Family members who have all died and you relive their last moments. It’s a great story telling game. Even though I don’t remember loads on it, I would recommend it as I remember enjoying it a lot at the time. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, markderoos said:

Any first hand impressions on Edith Finch or Bad North?

This is what I wrote when I played Edith Finch a couple of years ago:

I bought this on sale a couple of months back. I recall the Easy Allies considering this one of their best games of 2017, as well as a friend of mine praising it (and he doesn't usually play games like this), so I figured it would be a neat, short Halloween game. As it turns out, this wasn't a horror game at all, it was more like a bittersweet tale.

It's part of the "Environmental Narrative" genre (also called "ENG" or "Walking Simulator" for short) and can be finished in 2-3 hours. You play as Edith Finch, a young woman visiting her abandoned family house and learning about her family history through the lens of magical realism (not unlike the book 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez).

Without spoiling too much, this game's presentation gets creative and keeps you engaged all the way through. By the end, you'll be weaving theories about the more ambiguous parts of the plot. As with most games from 2017, I highly recommend it.

I still recommend it, it's quite good.

• Thanks 1

If you're fine with a more narrative focused game then I'd definitely recommend Edith Finch, especially if its inexpensive in the sale. You'll get through it in about 2 or so hours but I think it's definitely worth experiencing some of those sections at least once, particularly the canary section because of how well done it is and just how hard hitting it is. I replayed it earlier this year as really enjoyed going back to it. It was one of my favourite games of 2017 and after replaying, I'd still hold it in high regard.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Thanks 1

Did you overlook anything from the ongoing Digital Days eShop sale?  Then look no further than my personal recommendations in a quick fire style, that's my own.

• Like 5

I urge you all to get Conduct Together. It's a penny on the US store and I think just one buck in other countries. Totally worth it.

Don't be fooled by the shovelware/mobile aesthetics. It is tough as nails and plays brilliantly. If you want to break up with your significant other, terminate friendships or just scream at someone while playing, give this one a go co-op stylez.

Played a few stages with my sister's boyfriend last Friday. It started with "Oh my goodness, this is too easy...we're too good." and ended with "OH MY FUCKING GOD, YOU MORON. WHY DID YOU DO THAT? Oh...it was my fault? Well..." :D

• Haha 1

Windbound just got a gameplay-trailer:

Breath of the Wind Waker, right there.

content-4-36256-sourceofmadnessbanner.jpg

Source of Madness revealed for the Switch

If there is one sub-genre that the Switch probably isn't short of, it's the Rogue-Lite, Action-Platformer. It's always nice to have a variety of offerings though, especially when they come in the form of Source of Madness, from developer Carry Castle and Thunderful Publishing.

Check out the full press release and reveal trailer in the main article.

Also, obligatory mention for @drahkon due to the genre. ;)

• Thanks 1

Without gameplay this is worth nothing to me :p

But thanks for the write-up. I'll wait for gameplay impressions.

• Thanks 1

Well now! This looks really cool!

Definitely gives me Wario Ware vibes! THIS is the inventive Nintendo I love! :D 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well that was limited fun. Did 200 solo then added another player and went to 600 and back to one player again, no jumping went to 800 and stopped. Could get it to fail...

So the Digital Days sale is over. Did you pick anything up? I settled for Horizon Chase Turbo and Gato Roboto, a short burst game and a short game so my backlog wouldn't suffer too much. I did pick up a "physical" (code in a box) version of Stern Pinball Arcade as well, and damn it has some great tables. 

• Like 2

Kingdom Rush Frontiers (a tower defense game) and Screencheat Unplugged (local multiplayer FPS in which you can see everybody's screen, but players are invisible).

• Like 1

Picked up Season 2 and 3 of The Walking Dead (The Telltale Series).  Liked the first one enough, even though it was showing its age in some of its mechanics, but looking to playing through these at leisure.

What Remains of Edith Finch and Bad North

Edited by markderoos
  • Like 1

This was shown off on the Day of the Devs stream as part of Summer Games Fest and I thought it looked great.

Coming to PC and Switch on September 3rd, and set to be priced at $14.99 (so I'd guess maybe £12.99/13.99 or there abouts). Love the aesthetic of it and looks like it could be good fun to play.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Well...

... shit.

That really sucks. Until now I've gone with digital versions of anything with multiplayer. Not so appealing if I have to pay £10+ extra.

The Nintendo Store and CDKeys are still selling digital versions, is it just Shopto that's not allowed?

Gentlemen, have you looked at the new releases on your eShop and wondered "What is this 'Infliction' title? Is it any good?"

Infliction: Extended Cut

content-2-36288-inflictionextendedcutsidebox.jpg

Then do I have the review for you! Check out my assessment of this horror title, right here on N-Europe! Just click the picture above... if you dare, that is.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Contra Collection, Castlevania Collection and the Capcom Classics Collection are all on sale for €4,99. Picked up the first two:

• Like 2