NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

On 29/11/2019 at 12:09 PM, S.C.G said:

I just had another look through this weeks New Releases and eShop Discounts and these are the titles which stood out to me...

Celeste                                 50% off
Freedom Planet                  50% off
Raiden V: Director's Cut    50% off
Syberia 1 & 2                       60% off

Not strictly all Indies but all well worth checking out I'd say. :smile:

(says me, who owns most of them and has only actually properly played one out of these titles, when it was out on the Wii U) :heh:

(Quoting these for the new page seeing as the sale is still on)

24 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

More eShop titles I've spotted while actually having a look on the eShop...

Super Hydorah                   50% off
Cursed Castilla EX             50% off
Earth Atlantis                      50% off

I spotted others as well but these were the ones which stood out to me and ones which either don't have or probably won't get boxed versions.

It's amazing which games you spot when looking on the eShop, I usually find totally different ones when I'm reading through the latest eShop releases then when it comes to browsing through them, other titles just seem to stick out more on the storefront... as in, 'Oh THAT game! I forgot that title was even out on the eShop'

It's a nice surprise in a way. :)

You can currently get all of those three games for a little bit over £20 which doesn't seem too bad to me. :D

Bleh... now I'm thinking about getting those Konami collections while they are 50% off as well...

They probably won't ever release a physical collection with all of these Konami games on... right?

Konami doesn't really release games any more in any case so I'm sure it would be unlikely. :p

Gah... I'm so close to purchasing these three Konami anniversary collections digitally...

I don't think I can do it though, I'm going to wait.... these are on sale until December 4th anyway.

Edited by S.C.G

Super Bomberman R about 11 dollars, is it worth it (if I remember correctly, they gave some updates)?

Edited by Kounan

Yeah, if you haven't got it and like Metroid style games, you should defo consider picking that up.

On 02/12/2019 at 1:27 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

One of my favourite games of this generation is getting a 50% off reduction across all platforms.

Aaaand bought, been waiting for a sale.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Aaaand bought, been waiting for a sale.

Yep, I got it as well. 

And another into the backlog, see you in 20... 20....1.

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I just tried the Coloring Book download as mentioned in the article and it does indeed unlock the first game for free.

Awesome. The games don't look like much, but it'll be nice to have something to try for now when I'm not playing Civilization VI.

Great to see Nintendo continue to push and curate indie games to such an extent

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Great to see Nintendo continue to push and curate indie games to such an extent

?

I don't think has anything to do with Nintendo. It's a promotion by the publisher, QubicGames. Much like when publishers offer heavy discounts on the various digital stores in order to get eyes on their products.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

?

I don't think has anything to do with Nintendo. It's a promotion by the publisher, QubicGames. Much like when publishers offer heavy discounts on the various digital stores in order to get eyes on their products.

Oops I posted in the wrong thread

• Haha 1

I was browsing on the eShop "for real" for the first time to see whether there's anything I haven't seen before that might be worth a purchase but fuck me sideways, the shop is filled with so much garbage. And why do I have to sift through said garbage to find good games? 

It really is very close to the Play Store...lots of shovelware and mobile-gaming-trash.

I'll probably use other means to find games and only use the eShop to actually buy games...

33 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I was browsing on the eShop "for real" for the first time to see whether there's anything I haven't seen before that might be worth a purchase but fuck me sideways, the shop is filled with so much garbage. And why do I have to sift through said garbage to find good games? 

It really is very close to the Play Store...lots of shovelware and mobile-gaming-trash.

I'll probably use other means to find games and only use the eShop to actually buy games...

It has a real problem in terms of visability. Everything gets buried and there's no real order to it all. You really have to know what you're looking for beforehand when going on the shop.

At the start of Switch's life there were countless stories of indie games breaking records and just generally selling stupidly well but now these types of stories are few and far between. That's not to say indies don't do well on the platform anymore (think they still sell best on Switch) it's more that the gold rush we were seeing seems to be over.

There was a topic a few months back on Era about this whole thing and how indie developers are now having to offer stupidly heavy discounts in order to gain any traction and visability. The sheer amount of garbage that's allowed of the store front, coupled with the race to the bottom price model, has killed off a lot of goodwill that the eShop had during the release period.

• Thanks 1

The best thing to do is check after it updates every Thursday. There’s usually only 20 or so games added a week (still too many!). Just add anything interesting to your wishlist and then you can see when a nice discount comes along with relative ease. The fact you jumped in after almost three years means that you will have to go through the sea of shite (tm) to find what you want, but I’d recommend having a look online at “the top XX e-shop games” and adding them manually. 
My wishlist is now a very healthy 60+ games 🤦🏼‍♂️ This certainly helps when it comes to wanting something that looks interesting but not wanting to bite the bullet at full price. Wishlist is pretty decent though, make use of it. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, the watch/wishlist feature is great. Getting emails letting you know when a game you're interested in is on sale is very much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Wishlist is pretty decent though, make use of it. 

Will do. :) 

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The sheer amount of garbage that's allowed of the store front, coupled with the race to the bottom price model, has killed off a lot of goodwill that the eShop had during the release period.

Yeah, that's what immediately caught my eyes. There is so much crap that gets shoved in your face, it's unreal. I'd be fine if those games were buried beneath all the good ones, but the way it is right now seems ridiculous to me. ::shrug: 

The eShop is horrendous. It was horrible when I had the console in late 2017/early 2018 when I had my original model and it's shocking now that I have a Lite. The lack of filters for searching for stuff is a big issue but even with those, the shear amount of crap that's there would still make it difficult to weed through.

It's definitely something all storefronts are struggling with and will continue to as we go forward. Indie development is on the rise, despite such a saturated market, lack of visibility and diminishing returns of projects for many, and so platform holders like Nintendo are really going to need to look at how they do things with their online store. Continuing to allow a near endless onslaught of titles of poor quality on is hurting them and the indie partners they've worked hard to bring aboard but doing the Apple Arcade approach only works for so long as your store will eventually fill up and those initial stages will have it more of less empty.

I get Nintendo don't want to put a barrier up to indie devs to bring their titles to their platform but something will need to give if they're to make it more manageable.

And the less said about the push for rock bottom prices to drive game pickups. I think it was Mike Bithell that I saw recently talking about it or retweeting a thread on the subject but realistically, it's not a model that's financially viable or sustainable for developers in anyway and it's definitely something Nintendo need to sort out because it definitely brings it more in line with the Google Play store which is not the way to go. Sure, have sales but be realistic with pricing. The Monster Boy situation recently is a perfect example of how pricing your game right can drive sales while overpricing can kill an otherwise fantastic game. Gamers do need to accept they should be prepared to pay more for games, especially indies, but I don't think as a community, we're at that mentality yet.

Tl;dr: the eshop is a mess and needs sorting.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Alright, Nintendo, you know what you have to do. It's do or die. There is one game that needs to be on sale:

Bud Spencer & Terence Hill - Slaps and Beans

• Like 1

A couple of games on my wishlist are on sale. But not Slay the Spire... :( 

Anyway, might go with:

• either Dragon Quest III or III - most likely the third because it apparently "feels" more like recent entries of the series
  • Golf Story
  • Katana Zero or The Messenger

Two RPGs and a little bit of action/platforming seems like a nice balance for the holidays :)