NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

content-4-35820-ministryofbroadcastbanner.jpg

Ministry of Broadcast is coming to the Switch in 2020.

In both digital and physical form.

Well worth checking out the PR and trailer for this one if you like the idea of a cinematic platformer with a Dystopian theme.

content-4-35825-doometernalbanner.jpg

Doom Eternal is released on 22nd November 2019 across all platforms.

Today's "Megaton" announcements from the Ubisoft press conference... :p

content-4-35827-justdance2020banner.jpg

The Nintendo Wii gets its sole annual release in the form of Just Dance 2020...

...oh and it's coming out on the Switch too.

content-4-35828-godsandmonstersbanner.jpg

It's Breath of the... nope, wrong game, it's a brand new IP called Gods & Monsters  coming next year.

• Haha 1

There were a tonne of Switch games shown off in the Kinda Funny Showcase, so many great indies on the way. 

At least Gods & Monsters looks somewhat interesting but very hard to tell without seeing gameplay. 

2 minutes ago, Esequiel said:

£34.99 :/ Really????? FML. Was expecting £14.99 max :(

I believe it was a fully priced game in Japan. Not to mention it's 3 games, one of which has never been released in the West. Easily worth the price.

I get it, but I only want Secrets which I’ve bought a few times before.... not worth the £34.99 for me 👍

There's s big E3 sale on at the moment, Crypt of the Necrodancer is heavily discounted, less than £5 now so I've snapped it up to play through it before Cadence of Hyrule

American eshop, NBA 2K19 - 2,99 US dollars.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

On June 11, 2019 at 6:05 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Collection of Mana is now up on the eShop for £34.99.

@S.C.G It appears the game is getting a physical release. Listings have popped up over on the S-E site and The Game Collection. Unless something changes, the game will be released at the end of August. Super glad I didn't pull the trigger and buy the digital version straight away.

• Like 1

I don't think I'll be going for collection of mana actually.. After actually checking out the contents.. The vague idea popped up in my mind that I already had some version of Secret of Mana. So I wanted to check out my Wii E-shop collection, but I checked the list I posted on this forum and it wasn't on there. Seems like I actually own the original version. :p It was one of the games I bought when I bought my 2nd hand SNES years ago, as I never owned one back in the day. I also didn't realize "Final Fantasy Adventure" was the first game in the series, and was called Mystic Quest over here. And that game I actually played back in the day. That leaves the 3rd game, and to be frank, after watching the Treehouse footage, I think I'm more interested in the 3D remake. Though if there will indeed be a physical release I may get that one just for the collection.

• Thanks 1

In the "Roguelike" sense or the "Metroidvania" sense? Off the top of my head, I can't come up with another hybrid of the genres...

5 hours ago, Jonnas said:

In the "Roguelike" sense or the "Metroidvania" sense? Off the top of my head, I can't come up with another hybrid of the genres...

Dead Cells is a hybrid of those two genres... but I don't know if it's similar to Rogue Legacy.

17 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Good question.... and I don’t know how to answer it. I think the rogue like sense really - because I never really did Metroid or castlevania!

Well, Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth is a top-down shooter structured like the original NES Zelda. The visuals are grotesque, but it's a fun game. Risk of Rain is a 2D shooter, but much slower-paced than Rogue Legacy. Crypt of the Necrodancer is visually similar to Rogue Legacy, but it's a top-down rhythm-based dungeon crawler.

If you're willing to look beyond the Switch, Spelunky is an easy-to-learn 2D platformer. You don't get to build your character like in Rogue Legacy, but it's otherwise a solid, responsive game. Problem is, PS4 and PC are the only current-gen consoles that have it.

Mindfreak recommended Dead Cells, and I hear its combat is pretty good, but I didn't play that one, so I can't confirm.

Honestly, I think we should ask @drahkon. He's a roguelike veteran.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Esequiel said:

Good question.... and I don’t know how to answer it. I think the rogue like sense really - because I never really did Metroid or castlevania!

If you wanna get as close to Rogue Legacy as you can then it's definitely Dead Cells.

The game that popularized the roguelike genre is SpelunkySpelunky HD is readily available on all consoles (afaik). A 2D action-platformer that can get quite intense. 
Another one in that roguelike-sidegenre is Risk of Rain. Quick, intense 2D-action. 

Now, if you really wanna get into roguelikes as a whole, go for The Binding of Isaac. It's inspired by its genre-predecessors and the original The Legend of Zelda. It's also one of the best games in the genre.
Similar to TBoI is Enter the Gungeon. It's kind of like TBoI with guns. Highly recommended.

Then there is Crypt of the Necrodancer. It takes the Mystery Dungeon games' core idea and adds rhythm mechanics to it. You move to a beat. Awesome idea, perfectly executed. The music alone makes this worth a play.

Wanna go for something more tactical/strategic?

FTL - Faster than light (top-down real-time - you can pause it - strategy roguelike in a space setting)
Slay the Spire (haven't played this, yet, but it's supposed to be a brilliant deckbuilding roguelike)
Darkest Dungeon (never gotten into it, as it's quite complex but it's a gritty, tough as nails RPG roguelike - great mechanics)

I don't know which of these are on Switch, but I assume most of them are. Enjoy the best genre there is :p 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Spelunky HD is readily available on all consoles (afaik).

To clarify, it is not. Surprisingly, it's not available on the Switch or the Xbox One.

• Thanks 1

If we're including top-down roguelikes, don't overlook Alchemic Dungeons DX.  I get the feeling the developer, Q-Cumber Factory, is a seriously talented Japanese indie developer, but hasn't managed to publicise their games in the West so far.  A word of warning though - it is incredibly addictive!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jonnas, Drakhon and Grazza, I think I’ll try Alchemic Dungeons, looks up my street!

Edited by Esequiel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Esequiel said:

Thanks Jonnas, Drakhon and Grazza, I think I’ll try Alchemic Dungeons, looks up my street!

We should start a thread for it if you like it.  I can talk you through all the different crafting combinations, which ones are my favourite etc.

I should say I reviewed the 3DS version.  Comparing it to DX, it's really evident how much they improved the quality of items you get and made it much fairer.

10 hours ago, Grazza said:

We should start a thread for it if you like it.  I can talk you through all the different crafting combinations, which ones are my favourite etc.

I should say I reviewed the 3DS version.  Comparing it to DX, it's really evident how much they improved the quality of items you get and made it much fairer.

Hi Grazza - dunk a couple of hours into it and it a decent enough game but not on Rogue Legacy Level for me. I think it’s the fact that there is no progression, you get stronger in the level but all the progress is wiped out on the next level. Never mind! I’ll keep searching!