NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

Wow! They actually added gyro aiming into Turok on Switch! Kudos!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Wow! They actually added gyro aiming into Turok on Switch! Kudos!

giphy.gif

My interest suddenly exists now!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Three Konami 50th Anniversary collections have been announced. One containing Arcade titles, one for Contra and one for Castlevania. 8 games per collection, price is $19,99.

http://n-europe.com/news/konami-collections-are-coming-to-switch-2

You could probably give that its own thread. It's certainly thread worthy.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 2

I see that WHIP! WHIP! is on sale on the eShop for £2.87. People need to buy this game. I bought it at launch for full price and loved every minute of it.

I just received an email off Nintendo about a game on my Switch Wishlist that is now on sale. Era is asking the same thing: Is this a new feature? It's never happened to me before. Pretty cool if this is going to be a permanent thing going forward.

40 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I just received an email off Nintendo about a game on my Switch Wishlist that is now on sale. Era is asking the same thing: Is this a new feature? It's never happened to me before. Pretty cool if this is going to be a permanent thing going forward.

It's pretty new, I received an email last week about some games that were on offer on my wish list. It's a very welcome addition but I tend to browse the sales regularly anyway - intend to pick up a fair few games from the current indie sale.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:
So surreal! :o 

I got up half an hour early this morning so I could have a quick go on it before heading off to work.

D2kD11iU0AYuMD0.jpg

D2kD7VuUkAEuDW4.jpg

D2kEAxAU8AEpy3j.jpg

I could play the game a thousand times and not get bored by it. It's not my favourite FF game but it is one of the more accessible and easier ones to play.

I look forward to getting back on it this evening.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 2

Never played it but I'm tempted now that it's on Switch.

Actually, come to think about it, I don't think I've ever played an FF game before.

Edited by MindFreak

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

Never played it but I'm tempted now that it's on Switch.

Actually, come to think about it, I don't think I've ever played an FF game before.

I've only played FF Tactics a bit and one of the 3D rereleases on the DS (edit: oh, and Crystal Chronicles on the GC).

Of all FF games coming to the Switch, what would be the best one or most interesting one to start with? Taking into account that I have no desire to play them all so starting with the oldest and moving up is not necessary for me.

Edited by Vileplume2000

4 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Of all FF games coming to the Switch, what would be the best one or most interesting one to start with? 

It's a toughie.

FFXII has an interesting battle system but outside of that I don't think it's a great game. There are only a handful of characters that are interesting and the story is pretty much non-existent for a lot of the game. It went through development hell and it shows.

FFVII is easy to get into but many may find it a bit dated now, especially the graphics. However, it does have a great soundtrack and the battle system is very easy to master and very versatile. Top notch, characters and story, too.

FFX has a fantastic soundtrack, amazing story and a great level up system ( :heart: the Sphere Grid ) but some may complain about it being more linear than previous entries. Oh, and the voice acting can be a little rough at times by today's standards.

I'd probably go with Final Fantasy X. It's the one that feels most modern and complete. Plus, you get the very underrated FFX-2 with it.

• Thanks 1

https://gonintendo.com/stories/331615-duck-game-coming-to-switch-on-may-2nd-2019

The year is 1984. Ducks run wild in a frantic battle for FAME and GLORY. Win over spectators by destroying your feathered friends with an IRRESPONSIBLE NUMBER OF WEAPONS. One shot and you’re ROASTED. This is DUCK GAME. Finally on Nintendo Switch with more LEVELS, more GUNS and more QUACKING.

-Battles with up to 4 DUCKS in Online Play, Local Couch Combat or Local Wireless 
-Learn to DESTROY in Single Player Challenge Mode 
-Countless weapons and levels - including new levels FIRST on Nintendo Switch! 
-Create and share YOUR levels with the Map editor 
-The ONLY competitive game on Nintendo Switch with QUACKING

Duck Game hits Switch on May 2nd, 2019, and is priced at $13. The game is available to preload now.

Ducking sweet! :D 

Finally picked up Gris, The Missing and Night in the Woods in the sale but because I had to buy a tonne of eShop credit I ended up getting Onimusha Warlords. Haven't been playing as many games as usual but planning to spend April working through my (now even larger) backlog.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MindFreak said:

9 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Of all FF games coming to the Switch, what would be the best one or most interesting one to start with? Taking into account that I have no desire to play them all so starting with the oldest and moving up is not necessary for me.

Final Fantasy IX was my first, and IMO, still the best in the series. Also a serious candidate for one of the best RPGs ever.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

As someone who has been working his way through the Final Fantasies in order...

Play 7. The others are too obnoxiously devious with it's hidden extras for it to be fun for newcomers.

10 is also a good suggestion. I found it pretty fun, but do note that it plays more similarly to the NES games and isn't really a good indicator for how much you might enjoy the PS1 games.

Secret best answer is get a SNES Mini and play 6.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

As a more specific variation on vileplume's question: which one of these FFs has the best battle system? Couldn't give a toss about story, but me needs a deep and tactical battle system.

Just now, LazyBoy said:

As a more specific variation on vileplume's question: which one of these FFs has the best battle system? Couldn't give a toss about story, but me needs a deep and tactical battle system.

You're going to be playing any of these games for at least 30-40 hours. Surely the story has to appeal to you otherwise you are in for a right slog.

To answer your question, it depends on what you are after.

• Final Fantasy VII has the classic ATB system and you can use whoever you want because nobody has a specific role that they are stuck to.You skills come from Materia which anyone can use.
  • Final Fantasy IX is traditional but very rigid. Your characters are stuck with the class they have. 
  • Final Fantasy X is faster paced than the previous 2 games I mentioned, plus you get to see the order in which characters and enemies are going to attack. This can lead to some good strategy based combat.  Also, you can switch team members on the fly and the summoning system allows for you take take control of the summon rather than just watching a cutscene.
  • Final Fantasy X-2 has the dress sphere system that allows you to change job classes mid battle. This makes for a stupidly fun battle system.
  • Final Fantasy XII is where they ditch the traditional turn based battle system and instead make it more like an MMO. You can set the AI of you character and your team and just allow them to battle away for you. It's an interesting change of pace for the series and is probably the highlight of the game.

Once again I would go with the FFX/FFX-2 bundle. Both systems in these games are great to play and I absolutely love the sphere grid. 

Tempted to pick up X & X-II, but it annoys me that it is double the price of the PS4 version.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:
  • Once again I would go with the FFX/FFX-2 bundle. Both systems in these games are great to play and I absolutely love the sphere grid. 

I'm sold (as soon as it comes on sale). Thank you for the answer.

As for story, my favourite RPGs carry me through on the strength of their world building rather than the narrative (Skies of Arcadia, Paper Mario, Xenoblade chronicles off the top of my head.) Video games in general are still so far behind Literature and Film in narrative work that I can only think of a handful of games that I've played where the story has stuck with me: Last of Us, MGS3, Mother 3, Killer7. There's probably some greats I'm forgetting, and would love to be reminded of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

Video games in general are still so far behind Literature and Film in narrative work that I can only think of a handful of games that I've played where the story has stuck with me: Last of Us, MGS3, Mother 3, Killer7. There's probably some greats I'm forgetting, and would love to be reminded of them.

You accidentally forgot to mention Little King’s Story.

Or as we here like to call it, Little @Fused King‘s Story

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markderoos said:

You accidentally forgot to mention Little King’s Story.

Or as we here like to call it, Little @Fused King‘s Story

Oh, those were the days.  @Fused King forced every single Wii owner to buy it!

15 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Oh, those were the days.  @Fused King forced every single Wii owner to buy it!

And rightfully so.

6 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

There's probably some greats I'm forgetting, and would love to be reminded of them.

Soma.