NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

20 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

Demo for Yoshi's Crafted World is up

As is FF IX, Tetris Battle Royale, Captain Toad DLC and the Daemon X Machina beta.

• Thanks 1

Captain Toad DLC bought. Spent the handful of gold coins I’d gotten to get it 93p off :laughing:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Captain Toad DLC bought. Spent the handful of gold coins I’d gotten to get it 93p off :laughing:

Just snapped it up myself. I'll be checking out the level you get with preorder later this evening.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just snapped it up myself. I'll be checking out the level you get with preorder later this evening.

Looking forward to impressions :smile:

Part of me feels like I don't want to get the DLC because I have everything done in Captain Toad but it is such a great game!

Hopefully the extra challenges they add to every level are worth dipping into..

25 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Looking forward to impressions :smile:

Part of me feels like I don't want to get the DLC because I have everything done in Captain Toad but it is such a great game!

Hopefully the extra challenges they add to every level are worth dipping into..

Not much to tell really, I mean it's only a single stage.

DzYnsJ3UYAAvZze?format=jpg&name=large

It's more of the same which is exactly what I want from the DLC.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 9:41 PM, killthenet said:

Just had a look at my eShop watch list to see what was on offer and I noticed that Donut County is currently unavailable for purchase. Anyone know why this is? 

Donut County is back up now

Nice little game but I finished it within 2 hours and there's nothing else to do once its finished.

• Thanks 1

This is probably a stupid question, and I suspect the answer is no, but does anyone know if the Captain Toad Special Episode is playable without owning the original game? I see the eShop will let me purchase it for £5.39 separately from the game itself. I owned it on Wii U and don't think it's quite worth buying again, though I would jump at the chance to play DLC.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy is releasing on the 9th April and is apparently available for preload now.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

16 hours ago, Ike said:

6 week preload?

Is that sillier than a preload for a free demo? Because that happened recently.

(Deltarune Chapter 1)

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Is that sillier than a preload for a free demo? Because that happened recently.

(Deltarune Chapter 1)

I think that wins, just.

The game's done and ready to go, why not just release it? It's a quiet period for releases as well. My only guess is the other languages aren't ready and they are delaying for that.

Anyway, preloaded my copy.

y4mPMuXp7vnZfr7TS-pPEu6uJLb__zJtIUVJHcRI

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looks like the original Turok is heading to Switch.

Bring on the fog! :D 

They'd better give me N64 controls. I may actually buy if they do.

Edited by Sméagol

content-4-35721-turokbanner.jpg

I am Turok! Err... I mean, news is posted! :D

Thanks again to @Hero-of-Time for the heads up, I've credited you at the bottom of the article. :peace:

It's good to see Turok making its rightful return to a Nintendo platform. :smile:

Isn't it the remaster from 2015 that is coming? Nintendo's own website states so:

Turok is back and no dinosaur is safe! When it was first released in 1997, Turok introduced gamers to a world teeming with cunning enemies, traps, puzzles and deadly weapons all within a vast 3D environment ready to explore. Now the classic game has been restored and enhanced with a new visual engine and exciting new features to sink your teeth into!

I remember the game but never really tried it out myself.

They should release a cartridge version with a RRP of £70 for maximum nostalgia. :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

And add compatibility with the expansion pack.

Turok 2 seems to be coming as well by the way.

Edited by Sméagol

Is Turok actually any good? I've always been curious to play it but hesitant to pick up the N64 original because I'm sure it has performance issues. 

6 hours ago, killthenet said:

Is Turok actually any good? I've always been curious to play it but hesitant to pick up the N64 original because I'm sure it has performance issues. 

It's a launch title N64 First Person Shooter, that should tell you plenty.

Honestly, if the sequel is coming to Switch as well, you should just get that instead. Way better.

Fun fact, Turok was the first N64 game I owned... Because I wanted Mario 64 and it was sold out and my dad had to get me a game to go with my new N64.

That box art had the weirdest looking Yoshi I ever saw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, killthenet said:

Yes it is a good game; very ahead of its time too.  It and its sequel were basically the prototype for Metroid Prime (Retro Studios was founded by the team that worked on Turok 1, 2 & Rage Wars).

While most of the old team from Iguana would end up getting the boot not long after the studio was founded; you can absolutely see a clear lineage between the Turok games and Prime 1.  The Turok games actually follow a sort of Metroidvania like structure and feature a LOT of the elements that would later end up in Prime; like the heavy focus on platforming (including the head tilt-shift as you jump!) and exploration, or the way you can shoot birds out of the sky, or the way that you can trick enemies into fighting each other!

Notably, Mark Pacini (the director of Prime 1-3) was one of the people who originally came from Iguana and ended up staying with the company; at least until his attempted coup (which eventually led to his exile, the bringing in of Michael Kelbaugh and the creation of both DKCR and DKCTF).

It’s a fascinating piece of history and one of the most important and influential FPS games ever made.  It’s still well worth playing today, but you absolutely need a guide; because you’re gonna inevitably get completely lost without it.  Imagine an open world Metroid Prime and you’re on the right lines.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 4

Looking back, it was quite unlike anything else at the time with its sprawling open levels. I think I have the best memories of the original, the jungle location was nice and it had more dinosaurs than the sequels. Most memorable weapon is easily the cerebral bore from Turok 2 though, so brutal.

After Disney's more uninspired recent effort, I was hoping Nintendo would snap up the licence and give it to Retro.

My favorite Turok was easily Rage Wars. Me and my friends had so much fun playing that game. I honestly think we played that more than Goldeneye.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

My favorite Turok was easily Rage Wars. Me and my friends had so much fun playing that game. I honestly think we played that more than Goldeneye.

Turok: Rage Wars was an *amazing* multiplayer game. Different from GoldenEye but definitely just as good.

The multiplayer on Turok 2 was pretty good too.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2018 at 6:21 PM, Sméagol said:

I got Oxenfree immediately because I already knew (I thought that)  it was great. But I absolutely get why it wouldn't interest other people because it's a fact there's very little actual gameplay. But personally I don't mind the interactive story once in a while, I used to be a fan of Telltale games as well (before they got worse and worse). And I think the atmosphere and story and dialogue in Oxenfree are simply fantastic.

So it should be no surprise I bought Night in the woods day 1 as well, it seems to be right up my alley. I've hardly played it as of yet, the film festival was in the way, but I played enough to see it's very similar to Oxenfree regarding "gameplay".

I bought Oxenfree ages ago when it was on sale and number 1 on the eShop, barely knowing anything about it other than it was quite critically acclaimed. A couple of hours in, I actually feel quite cheated. It's barely even a game at all...there really isn't much gameplay at and there are hardly any actual puzzles. I do like the atmosphere and artwork of the game, but that's about it.

Hopefully I fare better with Broken Age and Grim Fandango, both of which a trusted friend advised me to buy.

4 minutes ago, Tim B said:

I bought Oxenfree ages ago when it was on sale and number 1 on the eShop, barely knowing anything about it other than it was quite critically acclaimed. A couple of hours in, I actually feel quite cheated. It's barely even a game at all...there really isn't much gameplay at and there are hardly any actual puzzles. I do like the atmosphere and artwork of the game, but that's about it.

Hopefully I fare better with Broken Age and Grim Fandango, both of which a trusted friend advised me to buy.

You probably will, they're both actually point & click adventures, so you won't come far without some puzzle solving.

Edit: By the way, you dug deep into the archives to quote me.. That post is over a year old!

While I'm posting anyway.. I bought Baba is you and I love it. But things get hard fast! Baba is you is for you if you like Zelda sliding block puzzles and programming. It basically combines both in a devious way. Plus cutesy pixel art.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1