NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

9 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Come on now, Urban Champion has to appear on every Ninty console these days.

Just give in and buy it already. You know you want to.

Switch is so awesome that it's gonna get TWO versions of Urban Champion, thanks to NES Online! (Three if you also download Famicom Online!)

On 20/07/2018 at 7:12 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

@Ronnie I ended up buying Bomb Chicken yesterday and I love what I have played. After about 2 hours play time I think I have about 10 stages left to play through, so you are probably looking at around 4-5 hours, which is longer than I expected. I imagine those who clocked in 2 hours were just playing through the game from A to B without trying to find the hidden gems scattered in each level. I obviously haven't finished it yet but from what I have played so far I can give it my recommendation.

Here's a taste of some of the tricky platforming that the game has to offer.

I’m on the last few stages now (I think) and things have been getting very tricky indeed! :o The game definitely isn’t short on challenge, that’s for sure. :hehe: 

• Like 1

On 24/09/2018 at 5:29 PM, RedShell said:

I’m on the last few stages now (I think) and things have been getting very tricky indeed! :o The game definitely isn’t short on challenge, that’s for sure. :hehe: 

Bomb Chicken is great, I 100% it (all blue diamonds). Would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes a little puzzle/action platforming!

• Like 1

I picked up Jack' N Jill DX on a whim when it came out, I saw on Nintendo Everything that it was coming to the eShop - I didn't know anything about it but liked its 8-bit aesthetic and it was on offer at launch (20% off) so I bought it on release but didn't get around to playing it until the weekend because Hollow Knight was taking me so freaking long. I'd assumed from the aesthetic that it was a cutesy platformer in the style of NES & Gameboy classics so was a little disappointed to discover that it was a one-button auto runner and not a free range side scroller like I'd hoped. Developed by Ratalaika Games, its very thin on premise - in fact I showed the trailer to my brother at the weekend and remarked to him that there's more plot in the trailer than there is in the game. Essentially you take control of Jack as he traverses each level to find his partner Jill, collecting coins on the way which can be traded for rewards in the main menu. You can take control of Jill and search for Jack too if you like but the change is only cosmetic, the game controls the same regardless of who you pick. Every level ends with the pair being reunited and they start off absurdly simple but get progressively more complex as the game goes on - new mechanics are introduced pretty regularly, with each of the games seven worlds containing 20 levels, each new world generally offers up a brand new obstacle or mechanic but all actions are conducted with the A button so even at its most complex the game is still pretty basic. 

The challenge definitely ramps up in later levels, the addition of a checkpoint system is certainly welcome in these lengthier challenges but it never really becomes a question of skill, once you learn the patterns and timing its just a case of perseverance. There is added challenge in trying to collect all of the coins in each level but with each mini game only costing 100 coins to unlock there is very little impetus to go out of your way to collect any you might miss by taking the critical path. The mini games themselves are all based around a single mechanic and have you taking control of one of the games enemies, you earn tickets for succeeding in tasks like popping balloons, avoiding spikes or firing the 'baddies' into baskets Angry Birds style. The tickets earned in this mode can be spent on alternate costumes for Jack and Jill to wear in the campaign mode which could be a fun little addition but the mini games are too tedious or simple to be engaging enough to collect any significant amount. 

Visually it's really appealing at first - presented in large blocky, black and white pixels it wouldn't look out of place on the Gameboy but the game doesn't offer enough visual variety as it progresses, the only way to differentiate between each world is through the slightly different backdrops and the initial charm wears off pretty quickly. The music is similarly nostalgic at first but the songs only change once you enter a new world so you're forced to listen to the same song on loop for 20 levels in a row before it changes up, the music isn't bad - it's passable - but having the same song on repeat can definitely get tiresome. Despite the simple presentation later levels present a variety of performance issues - the game dips well below an acceptable framerate as it tries to render too many objects on screen at once and moving platforms shimmer and judder uncomfortably which can make it a bit of an eyesore at times.

It's a shame that the game doesn't really offer much, it certainly has a charm to it at first and for £4 I'm not too disappointed in my purchase but I can't really recommend it unless you're in the mood for something retro styled that you can just turn your brain off while you play, it definitely worked in that respect for me as a palette cleanser after the frustrating final stages of Hollow Knight. 

Edited by killthenet
  • Thanks 1

Tiny Barbarian DX is discounted quite much this week. It's supposed to be quite alright, anyone here tried it?

Yeah, it's a good Nicalis sale this week.  I'm interested in Tiny Barbarian and Ikaruga.

7 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Tiny Barbarian DX is discounted quite much this week. It's supposed to be quite alright, anyone here tried it?

Yeah, I reviewed it, and loved it.  It is an extremely linear 2D platformer, in the vain of MegaMan, but the controls and the level design is fantastic.

• Like 1

Bought Tiny Barbarian yesterday from the Norwegian eShop (among the cheapest places) and spent some gold coins on it, making the investment very small so it's no Biggie if I don't enjoy it. Never really played Mega Man but I like what I see from this game.

However, I may be getting Diablo for review soon so don't know when I can try it out.

• Like 1

A big sale is happening now on the Switch eShop: Gaming On The Go Sale (article should be up on the front page soon). A whole lot of indies and some Capcom are down in price. I might pick up a couple of indies like Axiom Verge and Surgeon Simulator CPR. Maybe even Monster Hunter GU, although I also kind of want it physical.

Any suggestions what else is good? 

Edit: www.n-europe.com/news/new-releases-and-eshop-discounts-week-43-2

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Thanks 2

Looking through my Wish List on the eShop there's tons of games on sale. Cave Story for 50% off is really tempting but there's so much else to play atm...

I think I may pick up Pode. Looks like a fun one to play with the missus. Wasn’t gonna pay £23 for it at full price though.

I decided to start with Axiom Verge, that game has been on both my Steam and Switch wishlist for a while. Played it for about half an hour, and first impressions are good! Very Metroid in presentation and vibe, and a great soundtrack.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I decided to start with Axiom Verge, that game has been on both my Steam and Switch wishlist for a while. Played it for about half an hour, and first impressions are good! Very Metroid in presentation and vibe, and a great soundtrack.

It gets better. One of my indie favs, even though I've never finished it.

May just download it on my Vita again and play it occasionally :peace: 

• Thanks 1

Johnny Turbo's Arcade has a few new titles on the way, one of which is a multiplayer-focused game using classic Data East sprites!  Not sure any of these are for me, but at least there's still hope of Two Crude Dudes and Caveman Ninja coming to Europe.

17 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Johnny Turbo's Arcade has a few new titles on the way, one of which is a multiplayer-focused game using classic Data East sprites!  Not sure any of these are for me, but at least there's still hope of Two Crude Dudes and Caveman Ninja coming to Europe.

Annoys the hell out of me that we haven't got those two games yet. As far as I know they've given no word as to why they still haven't been released.

Grim Fandango was just stealth released on the European eShop, I think i'd have bought it right away if it was a bit cheaper but £11.50 is a bit too steep for me - will definitely get it at some point though as i've never actually finished it 

I've been meaning to play Grim Fandango for years so was delighted to see this in the eShop last night. Bought it straight away so hoping to play over the weekend.

I'm playing through Save me mr. Tako now - anybody tried it? It's a tribute to the GameBoy era, a good tribute. However, the game is frustratingly hard but not because of clever challenges but rather because you die from one hit and there are no powerups in the levels at all. You can get a hat (that gives you some ability) that allows you to be hit twice before you die but once you lose it, you have to exit the level to get it back. This is a bad mechanic and makes the game harder than it should be. Also, enemies just appear from the right and surprise you, or they can haunt and target you in small places where you can't really avoid them.

I'm just not enjoying the game at all and just want to know if anyone has tried it and feels the same?

It's a shame because it looks and plays like a GameBoy game (more specifically, a  hard Kirby game!) but the gameplay just isn't there and I don't know if it's intentional or just bad design.

6 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I'm playing through Save me mr. Tako now - anybody tried it? It's a tribute to the GameBoy era, a good tribute. However, the game is frustratingly hard but not because of clever challenges but rather because you die from one hit and there are no powerups in the levels at all. You can get a hat (that gives you some ability) that allows you to be hit twice before you die but once you lose it, you have to exit the level to get it back. This is a bad mechanic and makes the game harder than it should be. Also, enemies just appear from the right and surprise you, or they can haunt and target you in small places where you can't really avoid them.

I'm just not enjoying the game at all and just want to know if anyone has tried it and feels the same?

It's a shame because it looks and plays like a GameBoy game (more specifically, a  hard Kirby game!) but the gameplay just isn't there and I don't know if it's intentional or just bad design.

That's a real shame, I've been looking forward to it for a while, I would have picked it up on launch but I missed the pre-order discount so decided to wait a while. I'd hoped it would be a fairly casual Gameboy styled platformer but from the sounds of things it would be really frustrating. I'll probably pick it up still at some point but it doesn't sound like what I hoped it would be. 

How much of it have you played? Is it something you can imagine getting better at or does it just feel like cheap game design?

1 minute ago, killthenet said:

That's a real shame, I've been looking forward to it for a while, I would have picked it up on launch but I missed the pre-order discount so decided to wait a while. I'd hoped it would be a fairly casual Gameboy styled platformer but from the sounds of things it would be really frustrating. I'll probably pick it up still at some point but it doesn't sound like what I hoped it would be. 

How much of it have you played? Is it something you can imagine getting better at or does it just feel like cheap game design?

I'm at about 22 % through the game (2.5 hours) and it's for the most part just got worse. But I've seen some reviews, and most mention that it has some frustrating moment but they still say it's a good game. I just feel like it's not a good design and I had hoped for a casual platformer as well. I find that most frustrations would be gone if Tako could just take a couple of hits before dying.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MindFreak said:

I haven't, but this was exactly how a review I read described it. Too bad, was curious about the game too.

The next batch of ACA NeoGeo games has been revealed!

Puzzle Bobble

Puzzle Bobble 2

Thrash Rally

Stakes Winner 2

King of the Monsters 2

Neo Geo Cup '98

Twinkle Star Sprites

Woo!!! Twinkle Star Sprites at last! Why on earth this one skipped the Wii VC outside Japan, I have no idea, but I'm glad to see it finally come! It's a great little multiplayer title!

Also, this marks the first time that the original versions of Puzzle Bobble 1 & 2 have ever been re-released! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Also, this marks the first time that the original versions of Puzzle Bobble 1 & 2 have ever been re-released! :D 

I had the Saturn port of Bust-a-Move 2.  Whilst I try to avoid puzzle games nowadays (they make my mind too active!), it really is a stand-out title.

YouTube app is available for download now. I can't imagine I'll get too much use out of it because of the Switch's poor WiFi but it's nice to finally have the option to watch Nintendo directs on the Switch

• Like 1

Cool. If they could next sort Netflix where you can download films/episodes at home and take them on the go, that'd be perfect