NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

14 minutes ago, Ike said:

Whoa, Arcade Archives DONKEY KONG  out of nowhere? It's the original arcade version and not a modified NES ROM this time.

Oh wow.  Last time I played this was as an unlockable in Donkey Kong 64.  Genuinely enjoyed it more than the main game.

Lumines Remastered is out now on the eShop (it's £13.49, once again more expensive than on other platforms where you're also getting the soundtrack with the game :blank:) but picked it up and have sat engrossed for an hour playing it. I've never played it before but it's brilliant, just a great little block based puzzle game with a kick ass soundtrack.

And though I didn't see the fuss about the HD rumble in the joycons before, I do now after playing that. The way it pulses and builds up through the music and as your rack up a score multiplier and then softens when you lose it or move on to a quieter track. It's incredible. Really makes me wish that Rez or Child of Eden was coming to the Switch. Hell, even Tetris Effect. Fingers crossed for those at some point maybe.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ganepark32 said:

Lumines Remastered is out now on the eShop (it's £13.49, once again more expensive than on other platforms where you're also getting the soundtrack with the game :blank:) but picked it up and have sat engrossed for an hour playing it. I've never played it before but it's brilliant, just a great little block based puzzle game with a kick ass soundtrack.

And though I didn't see the fuss about the HD rumble in the joycons before, I do now after playing that. The way it pulses and builds up through the music and as your rack up a score multiplier and then softens when you lose it or move on to a quieter track. It's incredible. Really makes me wish that Rez or Child of Eden was coming to the Switch. Hell, even Tetris Effect. Fingers crossed for those at some point maybe.

Yeah, I picked it up too and have to say this is one occasion where the Switch Tax is actually somewhat justified, the HD rumble effects are just superb! :bouncy: It's perfectly replicating the game's dynamic soundtrack via the rumble motors, it works incredibly well and massively enhances the overall experience. :cool:

There's also an option to sync up a couple more Joy-Con and double the HD rumble goodness, but I've only got the one set so won't be able to try it out. Not sure where exactly you're supposed to put those other Joy-Con when using that particular feature though, anyone here know? :heh::laughing:

• Thanks 1

Just a heads-up for brawler fans - we're getting Renegade on Thursday (Arcade Archives).  I don't know how good it is, but it's the predecessor to Double Dragon so I'll have to get it.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

Really makes me wish that Rez or Child of Eden was coming to the Switch. Hell, even Tetris Effect. Fingers crossed for those at some point maybe.

Same, but I don't think it'll happen... Tetsuya Mizuguchi has previously spoken about how much he hates Nintendo platforms (and he has no involvement with this remaster), so I doubt that he'll want to see his other games come to Switch sadly...

A shame, because Tetris Effect looks amazing!

So, so many great indie games on the Switch these days.  Decided to re-purchase some of the ones i originally got for free via PS+, as the Switch suits these sorts of games.  I'm looking at possibly picking up Celeste or Owlboy, heard both are great games.

25 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

So, so many great indie games on the Switch these days.  Decided to re-purchase some of the ones i originally got for free via PS+, as the Switch suits these sorts of games.  I'm looking at possibly picking up Celeste or Owlboy, heard both are great games.

There is a discount for Owlboy these days.

However, I've got to say that I didn't enjoy it past the initial couple of hours. There isn't much to it and while it's charming it's just not really fun to play.

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

There are tons of better games on the eShop than Owlboy, it really isn't anything special at all. Celeste is a much better purchase, for one

On 26/06/2018 at 11:35 AM, Ganepark32 said:

My wife's parents gave us a huge box of old DVDs recently, which I finally made space for last week, but I noticed a copy of Lumines 2 for PSP in the box so I must give it a shot. If it resonates, I'll definitely look into Remastered on Switch :hehe:

• Thanks 1

@Grazza

Nintendo’s official website has confirmed the release of Johnny Turbo’s Arcade: Two Crude Dudes on Switch for July 5th. Flying Tiger Entertainment has released some of Data East’s arcade titles in the past, so the release of this title comes as no surprise. 

Before we get excited, this is from NoA. We seem to be behind these releases because the US got Caveman Ninja a few weeks back but it's still yet to hit our shores. Of course they may release this at the same time so it's worth keeping an eye out.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Grazza

Before we get excited, this is from NoA. We seem to be behind these releases because the US got Caveman Ninja a few weeks back but it's still yet to hit our shores. Of course they may release this at the same time so it's worth keeping an eye out.

Oh wow!

You know what's bugging me about these Johnny Turbo releases though?  The aspect ratio.  You get a choice between 16:9 and 4:3, the latter of which (if I'm correct) translates into a multiple of 320x240.  Data East's arcade games were mainly (all?) the more square-like 256x240.  I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the filters, but from the two games I have so far, you don't actually have to use one.  I believe it's actually the pixel ratio that's making them look wrong.

Good news about Two Crude Dudes though.  Looking forward to that and Caveman Ninja.

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, Jimbob said:

Owlboy is great!  I saw you got some negative reaction to it after you posted it, but I looked on the eShop myself, saw it had 30% off and picked it up.  It's obviously a game that divides opinion, but I genuinely love what I've played so far.

@Ronnie I know you were interested in Bomb Chicken so I figured this may be of interest to you. A few people manged to unlock the game early due to a glitch on the eShop and it's not sounding that great. There are only 29 stages to complete and one guy said he had the game finished in under 4 hours but another guy said he clocked ( should that be clucked :p ) it in less than 2. The game is launching at the price of £11.99 so it may be wise to wait for a sale, unless your'e not fussed about the price.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Ronnie I know you were interested in Bomb Chicken so I figured this may be of interest to you. A few people manged to unlock the game early due to a glitch on the eShop and it's not sounding that great. There are only 29 stages to complete and one guy said he had the game finished in under 4 hours but another guy said he clocked ( should that be clucked :p ) it in less than 2. The game is launching at the price of £11.99 so it may be wise to wait for a sale, unless your'e not fussed about the price.

Thanks for the heads up. Under four hours is pretty much what I was expecting and to be honest that suits me fine. Happy to have shorter games these days when there's so much to play. Hopefully the gameplay itself is good. 

• Like 1

Having recently obtained a Switch and salivating at all the sexy downloadables I've put in my wanted list, I was struck by one simple thought: Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight?

Edited by Fused King

1 hour ago, Fused King said:

Having recently obtained a Switch and salivating at all the sexy downloadables I've put in my wanted list, I was struck by one simple thought: Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight?

Both. But if you really, really need to choose, I think I'd go with Hollow Knight.

1 hour ago, Fused King said:

Neither. Buy Mighty Gunvolt Burst. :D 

Shovel Knight.  I'm not a huge fan, but it's more likeable than Hollow Knight.

2 hours ago, Fused King said:

Do you prefer Mega Man or Metroidvania games, basically?

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Do you prefer Mega Man or Metroidvania games, basically?

Yeah that's basically the question to ask yourself.

They're both excellent, I personally prefer Shovel Knight but Hollow Night is great too, if enraging at times.

I picked up Super One More Jump recently, great little game. :)
Would definitely recommend it to anyone that's a fan of twitch gameplay/platformers.

There's also a demo on the eShop which gives a pretty good taste of the game. It's what sold me on it actually. :hehe:

Runbow is out now on Switch and based on a quick go, it seems to be an excellent port!

An absolute must buy for anyone looking for a great party game! One of the Wii U’s absolute best now on Switch! :D 

On 03/07/2018 at 8:43 AM, Fused King said:

On 03/07/2018 at 9:51 AM, bob said:

Don't have sex with either of them!

On 03/07/2018 at 10:08 AM, Sméagol said:

Both. But if you really, really need to choose, I think I'd go with Hollow Knight.

On 03/07/2018 at 10:10 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Neither. Buy Mighty Gunvolt Burst. :D 

On 03/07/2018 at 10:45 AM, Grazza said:

Shovel Knight.  I'm not a huge fan, but it's more likeable than Hollow Knight.

I hope we were helpful @Fused King.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2