NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

No idea. I never tried. :D 

Pretty sur you can, one slow it down, one speeds it up. 

4 hours ago, dazzybee said:

Cant wait to get started, is it touch screen too? Could you play it just touch screen without joy cons, almost like a tablet game?

Haven't played it, but IGN and Power Pros podcast say that there are complete touch controls for the tablet mode.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I didn't try, so anyone feel free to correct me, but I don't think it has touchscreen support.

2nd hand information, but yes it does.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The cursor movement is a little too fast for my liking but other than that it plays fine using a pad/joy-cons.

Apparently the Left analogue stick moves fast and the right analogue stick is slower for precision, so you can alternate between the two.

Really want to pick this up, but still ploughing through Mario + Rabbids (World 4 now)

• Thanks 1

Shouldn't this topic be stickied by this point @Ashley?

Anyway, I'm here for a reason!

Zerodiv's next Psikyo releases will be Zero Gunner 2, followed by a game from the Sengoku series.  Following this, two more titles (one from the Gunbird series and one from the Strikers 1945 series) are supposed to be coming within the year; with more releases being considered too!

Awesome! More arcade goodness! Woo! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

So, we are in the last week of September and still no word of a release date for Golf Story.  Anyone want to bet on it actually releasing this week?

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

So, we are in the last week of September and still no word of a release date for Golf Story.  Anyone want to bet on it actually releasing this week?

They did have it down, cursory, for the 21st of September.  This was promptly changed to September, and now?  Who knows?  Nintendo have been pushing this game for so long, you'd think they'd pencil in a solid date to promote it before it drops, so I'd say no.  This is going to come later now.

I reckon it'll either be this week or next. I think we've seen last minute eShop releases before.

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Funny you should mention that...

golf-story-listing.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Shouldn't this topic be stickied by this point @Ashley?

Keep posting and it will be in essence :p

Honestly I thought it was destickied due to having too many stickies but it seems we only have 3 so maybe I'm going mad.

And apparently its called 'Pinned' on this new software, which at least sounds less gross.

• Thanks 1

Glad I was wrong about Golf Story. Another great game and no time to play it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Funny you should mention that...

golf-story-listing.jpg

Day before Fifa. BUGGER!

I wouldn't mind some early opinions on this. I loved Mario Golf advance but worried this is too much rpg. 

21 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

Day before Fifa. BUGGER!

I wouldn't mind some early opinions on this. I loved Mario Golf advance but worried this is too much rpg. 

Game Informer recently put up an article about the game.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/golf_story/b/switch/archive/2017/09/21/rpgs-and-sports-merge.aspx

Here are some choice bits from said article.

“We call it a golf drama,” says Golf Story designer Andrew Newey. “It combines the fun and excitement that everybody associates with golf with a serious story that plays out over eight different courses.” Each of the environments is more than just greens and fairways, featuring distinct towns, characters, and hidden secrets. “One of the main features is the ability to drop the ball at any time and hit it,” Newey says. “The towns turn into a sort of golfing wonderland, with various practice greens and challenges crossing over each other and secrets being hidden near and far. But you will also get to play traditional games of golf on full courses and compete in tournaments.”

Your golfer is on a quest to go pro, and he needs to level up and improve both his stats and his equipment along the way. In this case his equipment is his golf clubs; different clubs offer distinct advantages and disadvantages. “Blades will make your distances more consistent but are also more punishing of inaccurate hits,” Newey says. “And then there are clubs such as the digging wedge, which can be used to dig up all manner of things from treasures to old golf clubs.”

For instance, you might have to rescue some turtles in one story thread, but then they show up during a match, letting you skim the ball across their backs to cross a tough water hazard. Players can also expect a broad array of additional features that further flesh out the progression and gameplay, including puzzle solving, drone flights, geocaching, mini golf, and even mowing. “The lawn mowing is one part of fixing up an old course to get it tournament ready,”

It's like you didn't even read the above post...

There's lawn mowing.

You can mow a lawn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The game just looks adorable and cool. It's a mash-up of an old top down golf game and an RPG. And it looks like it's packing the old school Nintendo charm. 

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Can someone tell me what the 'big deal' about Golf Story is? Why is everyone so excited about it?

Probably because it looks very much like a spiritual sequel to the Mario Golf game on the GBC. Whether this turns out to be true is another thing but we all live in hope that it is the case. Not long until we find out.

I've just had a mild mindblow with Mario Bros Arcade...

DKwk9tgU8AAh6nR?format=jpg&name=large

Super Mario World wasn't the first game to have Koopa Troopas (Shellcreepers here) wearing t-shirts under their shells! They've actually worn them ever since the very beginning! :o 

The game is actually quite different to the NES version BTW.  It's a lot harder! (You get much less time to kick enemies after they've been knocked over, it's much faster, there are more enemies onscreen at once, fireballs appear very fast, POW block doesn't regenerate etc), the visuals are much better (a lot more animation and colours), there are interstitial screens that introduce enemies and the physics are very different too (Mario is super slidy here!).  It's pretty interesting to see and feel the differences!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

Yup I've been playing it as well. Was hoping to get my brother to play together, but it was more fun in single player than expected.. In short bursts. I like it for semi-nostalgia's sake (never played it, only the NES and SMB3 version), but the main menu could be better in my opinion. This is my first Hamster arcade port, I don't know if the others are equally as unintuitive..

8 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Yup I've been playing it as well. Was hoping to get my brother to play together, but it was more fun in single player than expected.. In short bursts. I like it for semi-nostalgia's sake (never played it, only the NES and SMB3 version), but the main menu could be better in my opinion. This is my first Hamster arcade port, I don't know if the others are equally as unintuitive..

The menu is exactly the same across all of their releases.  It's not flashy, but it gets the job done (and given how regularly they release these, I suppose it makes sense for them to have a simple menu design that they can apply to games quickly and easily - Don't forget that all arcade games have unique dipswitch settings too, so it's a bit different from the VC, where every game on each given console will have the same universal settings to be applied to them; so unlike the VC menus, the menus for arcade games need to be modular.).

The best thing about this simplistic approach to menu design though is that you get the original arcade experience as-is.  No menus that take away the ability to insert credits, no losing the original attract mode screens, no losing the Challenger Approaching screens when you select 2 players mid-game in fighting games etc; it's just the original game running on Switch.  You can just leave the game running on the attract screen and treat it like an arcade cabinet beckoning you to play, as intended :) 

The only thing that consistently annoys me about their menus for me really is the lack of an aspect ratio/integer scaling lock for the screen size options.  Kind of annoying to have to figure out the ideal scaling ratio by myself, but it's a one time only thing, so not that bad really.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

A couple of new characters are heading to Mighty Gunvolt Burst.

Inti Creates has been pretty good with its DLC support for more recent titles, regularly adding new content and characters to them that expand on the core campaign in notable ways. Mighty Gunvolt Burst received a bit this summer when the team added in Ekoro as a playable character—bringing the game in line with its predecessor—but it seems that they haven’t finished, as a couple new DLC characters have recently shown up in the game in Japan.

Call—from Mighty No. 9—and Joule—from Azure Striker Gunvolt—have both been added in the Japanese version of Mighty Gunvolt Burst, and can be picked up for 200 yen each. Presumably, these will be coming to the West, too, although it’s not clear whether they’ll be initially free—as Inti Creates has done in the past—or if these characters will just cost a few bucks up front. We’ll be sure to update you on the situation, but here’s to hoping we don’t have to wait too much longer to see these characters come to the other versions of the game.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I like it for semi-nostalgia's sake (never played it, only the NES and SMB3 version), but the main menu could be better in my opinion.

Haha, semi-nostalgia's a great term.  It's what I get from the Neo Geo games, which feel like the 1990s even though I never played them at the time.

So where the fuck did all these games come from? Panpaku also seemed nice from what I recall. Plus several discounts.. But I stuck with what I intended to buy: Golf story and Picross. And I added the Mighty Gunvolt Burst DLC, which I happily payed money for. Downloading 3 things and then opening the news section broke my Switch, so I had to do a hard reset.

Edited by Sméagol