NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

Out of mild curiosity I tried the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo yesterday and, my god, if it hasn't left me gagging for the full game!

First time playing Puyo (never did get to Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine on the Megadrive) and it's very addictive figuring out how to get combos. Still, Tetris is the main draw for me. Having a mix and match of the two works surprisingly well, but for some reason the Tetris AI is a lot tougher.

I'm even loving the simple cute characters and retro sound effects. If, like me, you approach the Switch as a potable with benefits, then this seems like a must. Bit annoying that it's out the day before MK8 though and costs £35!

Edited by Lens of Truth

Still, Tetris is the main draw for me. Having a mix and match of the two works surprisingly well, but for some reason the Tetris AI is a lot tougher.

I'm even loving the simple cute characters and retro sound effects. If, like me, you approach the Switch as a potable with benefits, then this seems like a must. Bit annoying that it's out the day before MK8 though and costs £35!

Agreed - the AI absolutely destroys me but its still fun to play! Will definitely have to consider buying the full game but as you mentioned the price does put me off. I guess we're gonna have to get used to paying the Switch premium i.e. pay for the portability/convenience.

MK8 is a no brainer though - can't wait for that! :hehe:

n-europe Review

content-2-35111-metalslugsidebox.jpg

ACA NeoGeo

Metal Slug

: peace:

That was a really good review, S.C.G (well-timed screenshots too). Do you have any more plans for Neo Geo games?

Out of mild curiosity I tried the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo yesterday and, my god, if it hasn't left me gagging for the full game!

First time playing Puyo (never did get to Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine on the Megadrive) and it's very addictive figuring out how to get combos. Still, Tetris is the main draw for me. Having a mix and match of the two works surprisingly well, but for some reason the Tetris AI is a lot tougher.

Demo is great, can't wait for some n-Europe multiplayer on this. I'm sure this will be available for £25-£28 in the shops. Most RRP's thus far have been way off what you can actually get the game for.

That was a really good review, S.C.G (well-timed screenshots too). Do you have any more plans for Neo Geo games?

Thank You, I appreciate the feedback. :)

Also I've enjoyed reading your impressions on some of the ACA NeoGeo titles as well.

Hopefully this will be a regular thing for covering NeoGeo games now that the format has been established.

I think it's because they aren't Virtual Console games but I feel like they deserve the same coverage, if not a bit more seeing as they are eShop titles now under their own ACA NeoGeo label and because they are a significant upgrade from the Wii releases plus the fact that it has been ten years since then, it feels right to give them each a full review. : peace:

Depending on how the release schedule pans out, VC Weekly and the ACA NeoGeo reviews should compliment each other over time, ultimately it should mean more reviews for the site which can only be a good thing. :D

But yes, currently I think the ACA NeoGeo series is an asset to the Switch library going forward and I can't wait to see which titles get released over time. :smile:

Edited by S.C.G

20th April Switch eShop releases;

Nintendo Switch eShop

Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap (DotEmu, €19.99 / £17.99)

ACA Neo Geo Fatal Fury (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)

I think it's because they aren't Virtual Console games but I feel like they deserve the same coverage, if not a bit more seeing as they are eShop titles now under their own ACA NeoGeo label and because they are a significant upgrade from the Wii releases plus the fact that it has been ten years since then, it feels right to give them each a full review. : peace:

Yes indeed. The Neo Geo was a very powerful 16-bit (or "24-bit") machine, at least equal to the SNES and Mega Drive. To me, it's every bit as valid as the official Virtual Console.

From Wikipedia:

The Neo Geo was marketed as 24-bit; its CPU is technically a parallel processing 16/32-bit 68000-based system with an 8/16-bit Z80 coprocessor much like the Sega Genesis and the Super NES, while its GPU chipset has a 24-bit graphics data bus.

I got carried away last night and downloaded King of Fighters '94! It seems that's one you really do need a solid d-pad for, as you can't roll the split d-pad enough for the special moves. Still a nice game though, and I'm going to see if I can get by anyway.

Need some more eShop credit now!

n-europe Review

content-2-35120-neoturfmasterssidebox.jpg

ACA NeoGeo

Neo Turf Masters

27th of April Switch releases;

Nintendo Switch Retail Downloads

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, €59.99 / £49.99)

Puyo Puyo Tetris (SEGA, €39.99 / £34.99)

Nintendo Switch eShop

Kamiko (CIRCLE Entertainment, €4.99 / £4.49)

Over Top (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)

Solid numbers for the Neo Geo games and the promise of more on the way.

[TWEET]859327444855042048[/TWEET]

Solid numbers for the Neo Geo games and the promise of more on the way.

[TWEET]859327444855042048[/TWEET]

Nice to hear they're selling well. The Neo Geo titles are some of the best-value and most replayable games on the eShop. They actually get better the more you play them.

Metal Slug and Shock Troopers are very good. I wasn't keen on Metal Slug 3 at first, but it improves when you get used to it. The only ones I can't play are the fighters, but that's an issue with the Joy-con designs.

The other day I bought Alpha Mission II. At first I thought it was terrible, but the more I got used to the power-up system, the more I liked it. I'm still not good at it, and I still think there are huge issues with the power-ups, but I can't stop playing it now.

Well, that's a turn up for the books. Blazing Star is out!

C-09n6lVwAIOJ3P.jpg

Edited by Grazza
Automerged Doublepost

4th of May Switch eShop releases;

Nintendo Switch eShop

Tumbleseed (aeiowu, €13.99 / £11.99)

Blazing Star (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)

Nintendo Switch DLC

Blaster Master Zero: EX CHARACTER: GUNVOLT (Inti Creates, free until 18th May, then €1.99 / £1.79)

Nintendo Switch Demo

Blaster Master Zero (Inti Creates, free)

n-europe Review

content-2-35138-thekingoffighters94sidebox.jpg

ACA NeoGeo

The King of Fighters '94

Good review, @S\.C\.G - I've been waiting for this one. I own the game, but have yet to get to grips with it.

Had a really exciting session on KoF '94 last night. The action is so frenetic, my thumb darted over the d-pad and accidentally took several screenshots. I genuinely had no idea I had taken these, for example:

C_TXizHUQAAf0m8.jpg

C_TXoPOUwAADUn8.jpg

C_TXtWxUMAANQF1.jpg

It's a hard game - I'm currently stuck on the Chinese team, after which I assume there is a final boss (three fighters against the same person?) But it's very exciting and the sprites are beautiful. I'm not kidding - after I'd been playing it, I could smell the extra testosterone emitting from my armpits!

Had a really exciting session on KoF '94 last night. The action is so frenetic, my thumb darted over the d-pad and accidentally took several screenshots. I genuinely had no idea I had taken these, for example:

I bet you did... ;)

Of course I checked all the pictures you linked to, it wasn't lost on me that they were all of Mai. :heh:

Accidentally... of course I believe you. :blank:

They are really nice screenshots though, I only wish that I'd taken them myself, you know... accidentally. :p

In all seriousness though, it is a really hard game, tougher than I remember it being the first time I played it on the Wii Virtual Console but it's still just as rewarding, if not even more so. : peace:

I bet you did... ;)

Of course I checked all the pictures you linked to, it wasn't lost on me that they were all of Mai. :heh:

Accidentally... of course I believe you. :blank:

They are really nice screenshots though, I only wish that I'd taken them myself, you know... accidentally. :p

Honestly, they were accidental. I also accidentally took loads of screenshots of the more boring other characters in that team, but didn't publish them. ;)

In all seriousness though, it is a really hard game, tougher than I remember it being the first time I played it on the Wii Virtual Console but it's still just as rewarding, if not even more so. : peace:

Yup. I'm hoping there's some sort of reward for getting to the end (if I do manage it), and also that you don't get penalised for playing on Level 1. :heh:

Here's a nice little update to the eShop, you can now save your credit card info. This will speed up an already fast payment process.

The Other NE has all the details.

While I never use such systems myself, I know it was a common complaint from a lot of gamers when the system launched the other month. Good to see Nintendo have been quick to react to these complaints.

NBA play grounds anyone?

Reading undocked runs at 540p? Not feeling that at all!!!

NBA play grounds anyone?

45 seconds load time for every match isn't appealing either

Finally beat the Chinese team in KoF '94. Pretty sure it's meant to be a penultimate team (ie. you wouldn't fight them until you'd beaten all the others).

C_Ye2fHXYAEDOj9.jpg

C_Ye67oWAAIdFBB.jpg

C_YfDvMWsAADWAo.jpg

So gorgeous. I miss the artistry of pixel-based games, compared to pre-rendered or full 3D. For me, even hand-drawn 2D doesn't scratch the itch quite like this.

Onto the final boss... Oh man, this chap is hard! He can defeat you within a couple of moves! Can't believe how bad I am at this game...

NBA play grounds anyone?

Downloading it now, bit left field for me but looking to try something new...I'll let you know how it plays (might even review it you never know...)

NBA play grounds anyone?

I had a few games on the PS4 demo over the weekend and it was very meh. It lacks the charm and excitement of the NBA Jam games.

I was reading on Gaf that you can't play online with friends. Seems like a very weird option to leave out of such a game.

Downloading it now, bit left field for me but looking to try something new...I'll let you know how it plays (might even review it you never know...)

4685_front.jpg

:D

Finally beat the Chinese team in KoF '94. Pretty sure it's meant to be a penultimate team (ie. you wouldn't fight them until you'd beaten all the others).

C_Ye2fHXYAEDOj9.jpg

C_Ye67oWAAIdFBB.jpg

C_YfDvMWsAADWAo.jpg

So gorgeous. I miss the artistry of pixel-based games, compared to pre-rendered or full 3D. For me, even hand-drawn 2D doesn't scratch the itch quite like this.

Onto the final boss... Oh man, this chap is hard! He can defeat you within a couple of moves! Can't believe how bad I am at this game...

Kof has always had cheap final bosses.