NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

With a new console comes a new eShop list of releases; Yesterday's goods

Nintendo Switch eShop

Blaster Master Zero (Inti Creates, €9.99 / £8.99)

Nintendo Switch eShop – Neo Geo

ACA NEO GEO NAM-1975 (Hamster, €6.99 / £6.29)

• Like 1

I thought the Switch didn't have an eShop yet?

The eShop has been there since launch. It's the Virtual Console that hasn't been released yet.

You see, now I don't know if you're being serious or not. :heh:

For me, that applies to every single one of his posts.

It's actually quite fun to guess now and again.

I'm always serious.

I thought that you bought digital console games via the eShop?

There was all that hoo-hah about the service not being available at launch, but it seems to be working?

If you can't buy console games via the eShop, then what are you buying?

I'm always serious.

I thought that you bought digital console games via the eShop?

There was all that hoo-hah about the service not being available at launch, but it seems to be working?

If you can't buy console games via the eShop, then what are you buying?

OK, that first sentence was easy to guess.

eShop refers to the whole "buying digital games" thing. Wanna buy a digital game. Wanna download a game on a Ninty console. You go to eShop. Downloading Super Mario 3D World, for example.

Virtual Console is the name that refers to games emulated from past consoles.

Super Mario 64 on the Wii/WiiU is a Virtual Console title. They all tend to have the same standard features. (Suspend saves, Restore Points, stuff like that)

Basically, you get all types of download from the eShop - retail games, dedicated eShop games and Virtual Console. Technically, a Virtual Console game could appear any week. It just means a retro Nintendo game emulated to a certain standard, such as the Restore Points that 3DS introduced (or was it Wii U?)

Anyway, thanks to londragon for this thread.

I've always fancied getting a lot of Neo Geo games, but don't really know which ones to go for. I'm not too tempted by the ones I've seen so far. Are they all 60Hz?

I've always fancied getting a lot of Neo Geo games, but don't really know which ones to go for. I'm not too tempted by the ones I've seen so far. Are they all 60Hz?

Metal Slug 3 is worth it

Metal Slug 3 is worth it

Oh yeah, that was the one I fancied, actually. Do you have any idea why they've put on 3 before 1 and 2?

Oh yeah, that was the one I fancied, actually. Do you have any idea why they've put on 3 before 1 and 2?

No I had wondered that myself. Maybe thats been the one that sells the best previously on other platforms?

You may want to hold off for a bit as there are a couple of issues.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/hamster_corporation_promises_improvements_in_nintendo_switch_aca_neo_geo_titles

Nothing game breaking but some may find these issues a little annoying.

You may want to hold off for a bit as there are a couple of issues.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/hamster_corporation_promises_improvements_in_nintendo_switch_aca_neo_geo_titles

Nothing game breaking but some may find these issues a little annoying.

Thanks H-o-T.

This is interesting. I've just looked up Arcade Archives, and it's not just Neo Geo games - it has Tecmo, Konami and Data East as well (to name a few). Shame licensing will affect so many of the Konami ones. At the moment, Double Dragon I & II are available (on PS4, I think). As far as Neo Geo goes, Metal Slug 1 and 3 are on there, but not 2.

I can't really explain how happy I'd be to have the coin-op versions of Double Dragon, Bad Dudes and Crude Buster on my Switch!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Archives

Edited by Grazza

How come there aren't any reviews of the neo geo games? I'd be interested in them if I knew more about them. I have metal slug 3 on the Wii collection so not bothered about that.

Also, reading they don't support single joy con use for multiplayer which seems a bit bonkers.

Also, reading they don't support single joy con use for multiplayer which seems a bit bonkers.

If I was interested in picking one up, that would be a highly preventable deal breaker :nono:

Holy motherfucker.. Why play Zelda if you can play this stunning masterpiece:

How was this allowed in the e-shop? Get me angry video game nerd, I want him to play this.

They do support that, you have to set it from the Switch's controller options on the home menu though (there's no in-game option to do so).

Should also note that these NeoGeo releases are the MVS versions and not the AES ones, unlike on the Wii VC (which were all AES). So some games are missing features that the home versions had, since they're the arcade cabinet version.

For those looking for the best picture quality from them, 100 gives you a perfect x3 scale on the TV, while 133 gives you a perfect 4x scale on TV. On handheld, use 150 for a perfect x3 scale.

Edited by Dcubed

I bought metal slug and can confirm it has multiplayer using the joy cons, also its as good as it ever was

Vroom in the sky? i want to say it looks like a bad N64 game, but even that feels too generous

@Dcubed did you buy these? Are any worth it if nostalgia isn't a factor?

I haven't, I already own Metal Slug 3 and Shock Troopers on the Wii VC though. Both are great games that are well worth your time (MS3 in particular is a true classic; if you like Contra/Probotector, you'll love this game!). I'm not really big on traditional fighters so I don't have much to say about the NeoGeo fighters on offer but Waku Waku 7 in particular is held in pretty high regard for what it's worth.

16th of March Switch eShop releases;

Nintendo Switch eShop

Splatoon 2 Global Testfire (Nintendo, free)

The King of Fighters ’94 (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)

When the Virtual Console finally comes to Switch, I can see myself buying pretty much everything I already own and spending a lot of money turning my Switch into the ultimate Nintendo console :grin: