NEurope
Blade

Achievement System for the Switch

I thought to do a new thread.

I wish there was an achievement system for the Switch. Would be mint! I get so much more replayability from my PS4 games due to trophies. I only aim for platinum trophies for the games that I really enjoy. For example, I completed Witcher 3 twice to nab the platinum. I completed score attack mode on Rise of the Tomb Raider for the same reason. I would never have touched that mode if it wasn't to get a trophy.

Sometimes I ignore them and don't bother but for some games I really do enjoy trying to collect them.

What are people thoughts? Would people like to see Nintendo formally introduce something similar on the Switch?

I also would love something similar.

@Aneres11 and I have discussed this many times over Starbucks coffee. I like having challenges that leave a total scoring mark so when I look at say my Xbox profile I can remember what I 'achieved' and sometimes it's just dam right fun! Some games use them much better than others.

They could just something like 'stamps' which wii sports resort had.

I'd like some way of showing game progress. For example with Kirby Rainbow Paintbrush Wii U I think I'm on 98% now having got all the treasure chests, would be nice if that kind of indicator was displayed as a minimum to show if someone got far in a game.

When it comes to more specific achievements, sometimes they can work well, but I like the ones best that are tied to progression rather than some extreme challenge like complete the game without dying that most people won't ever get.

People like them, so yes, I think they should have an achievement system... but I couldn't care less for them myself.

I hope they never implement such things. I hate them.

Amen to that.

I havent properly cared about achievements/trophies since the 360 but I do find them helpful in seeing how far other people are in games. I wont deny though that I still get a sense of satisfaction seeing a trophy pop up on my PS4. I would like to have seen a system on the Switch.

Because you just can't help but 'get them all'! ? :p

I think they're quite fun. I prefer the ones that make you do something different in games, like take down an enemy in a certain way, or ride a certain vehicle somewhere, rather than the ones that are just 'complete the levels that you were going to complete anyway'.

Would be nice if Nintendo could implement them.

It's basically free content for every game, not sure why anyone wouldn't want it. I love that my Trophy List is a permanent record of the games I've played across three consoles. It's awesome. I think I got my first platinum like 7 years ago now. And I can see every game I've played since and a lot before.

I think it's a no-brainer. I don't have time to do it anymore, but it's great for lots of things like replayability, or creating competition amongst friends in single player games. The gamerscore on Xbox was great, it was like a scoreboard for your whole game library.

Not a game breaker for me but we should have them. It's industry standard.

For those who dislike their is the option to turn off.

Not a game breaker for me but we should have them. It's industry standard.

For those who dislike their is the option to turn off.

I think Hero was joking.

He loves trophies and enjoys working for them. They maximise the games replayability.

His avatar is even a platinum trophy :D

I think Hero was joking.

He loves trophies and enjoys working for them. They maximise the games replayability.

His avatar is even a platinum trophy :D

Oops my bad

Depends how they're implemented. Achievements were a nice touch but never cared too much and still don't (Castlevania Symphony of the Night is still my only 100%). Somehow though whatever small differences that Trophies hold, I enjoy trying to collect them more.

Of course regardless, there is no real reason Nintendo shouldn't implement the trend. I just hope they don't go full Nintendo on it and make the whole thing convoluted and unfun to manage. Ala online.

I've never ever cared for them. But I wish Nintendo do it. For games I truly love I can see me wanting to get them.

On the My Nintendo site, it says Switch Games 'Coming Soon', so I imagine that'll be as close as we'll get to it.

When they were first on 360 they were an interesting novelty, I've grown to really dislike them though. A few of my main issues:

Multiplayer achievements - almost always stupid challenges which just results in people 'boosting' to get them. They just detract from the multiplayer and make it less enjoyable when you encounter other players specifically aiming for them.

Arbitrary numbers - like kill 10,000 enemies. I've beaten the game on the hardest difficulty, collected everything, seen everything. My console is telling me my game isn't complete until I kill an arbitrary number of enemies.

No uniformity - one game gives you achievements for just pressing A at the start menu. Another gives nothing unless you play it hardcore. Renders the whole gamers core/trophy system pointless.

After playing 360 and then PS4, the achievements just fill me with a lack of sense of achievement. On Nintendo games I have a pretty clear sense of completion, for example, all items, heart containers, gold skulltulas and then beating Ganons in Ocarina of Time. Now imagine if my N64 told me I wasn't 100% complete until I'd rolled 10,000 times in Hyrule Field. No thanks.

When they were first on 360 they were an interesting novelty, I've grown to really dislike them though. A few of my main issues:

Multiplayer achievements - almost always stupid challenges which just results in people 'boosting' to get them. They just detract from the multiplayer and make it less enjoyable when you encounter other players specifically aiming for them.

Arbitrary numbers - like kill 10,000 enemies. I've beaten the game on the hardest difficulty, collected everything, seen everything. My console is telling me my game isn't complete until I kill an arbitrary number of enemies.

No uniformity - one game gives you achievements for just pressing A at the start menu. Another gives nothing unless you play it hardcore. Renders the whole gamers core/trophy system pointless.

After playing 360 and then PS4, the achievements just fill me with a lack of sense of achievement. On Nintendo games I have a pretty clear sense of completion, for example, all items, heart containers, gold skulltulas and then beating Ganons in Ocarina of Time. Now imagine if my N64 told me I wasn't 100% complete until I'd rolled 10,000 times in Hyrule Field. No thanks.

Some achievements are rubbish, it's true.

One of the few trophies I couldn't get in AC Syndicate was the one where you had to destroy 5000 items in your carriage. I drove around for about two hours and still didn't unlock it.